London riots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bongofury66

I am getting sick and tired of 'community' analysists trying to rationalise why this is happening. If you ain't got food/water/lodging...you are poor. Other than that you are rich. Warn 'em and then waste 'em. What a f*cking society we now have.

Arch

Married to Night Train
York's far too posh to riot. I might stroll out later and throw a pot of houmous at Cycle Heaven...

But to be serious:

Stupid, terrible copycatting. Poor people losing everything in fires. People blaming the downturn and cuts for making the youth unhappy. Huh. If they all have Blackberries to coordinate themselves, they can't be that badly off. (or the Blackberries are nicked, which kind of proves the criminality of the people)

I've no doubt it'll all blow over, but a lot of innocent people will suffer meantime.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
London seems to be on the brink this afternoon.

I've heard on the radio that it's kicking off in Hackney, that in Stratford all the shops in the mall have closed; my son-in-law has called to say that shops in Plaistow have been ransacked, and police are out in force in Forest Gate.

I hope that if you live or work in London that you take care, and keep safe.
(sighs deeply) You're not the only one who believes this. Our Sainsbury Local has been closed because of the riots. Of which there were none in Streatham. And Brixton looked ok this morning. So, me.........I'm not worried. If Footlocker and JD Sports gets ransacked they'll be restocked with silly shoes tomorrow....

Bluebell72

Is there any actual evidence that this thieving is being coordinated via Twitter?

from BusinessWeek -
The police are ahead of the curve in information technology and would have experience of the use of social- networking sites by troublemakers,” said Steve O’Connell, a member of the Metropolitan Police Authority, which monitors London’s Metropolitan Police Service. “The bad guys were using these sites to target areas quickly. Small bands of ne’er-do- wells were descending on high-quality stores to loot.”

There are pics in today's papers from facebook where users have posted details of their loot. Just appalling.

I am watching it on BBC News - and things are happening in Birmingham and Leeds (shooting in Chapeltown).

bongofury66

Thank you....you made me laugh. Have been getting a bit incensed haven't I? I once a had a wee against a wall near the Railway Museum and I was not drunk. Please don't dob me in.:whistle:
York's far too posh to riot. I might stroll out later and throw a pot of houmous at Cycle Heaven...

But to be serious:

Stupid, terrible copycatting. Poor people losing everything in fires. People blaming the downturn and cuts for making the youth unhappy. Huh. If they all have Blackberries to coordinate themselves, they can't be that badly off. (or the Blackberries are nicked, which kind of proves the criminality of the people)

I've no doubt it'll all blow over, but a lot of innocent people will suffer meantime.

TVC

I am getting sick and tired of 'community' analysists trying to rationalise why this is happening. If you ain't got food/water/lodging...you are poor. Other than that you are rich. Warn 'em and then waste 'em. What a f*cking society we now have.

As I haver pointed out to people who moan how terrible their lives are, just to be resident in this country with the social support structure and opportunities it provides puts you in the top 10% of all the people on the planet. So stop winging how you've got no social left for clothes after buying fags and chips.

Adasta

Is there no way that twitter could be shut down for a while? In the same way that phone signals can?

Thinking of anyone who is affected by these barbarians, stay safe.

Would you shut down news channels for broadcasting the riots live?

It's difficult to know where freedom of information should end, if there should be any limits at all.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It's all going down in croydon

19.54pm: Croydon Guardian reporter Peter Truman has filed from the scene:The streets around West Croydon station are in complete lockdown.

Swarms of youths in hoods and masks are confronting the police from every junction to London Road.

Bricks, bottles and sticks were thrown at the police line, who are armed with batons and riot shields.

Tactical support, in full riot gear, are also on the scene.

The police have set up a sterile zone between the Fox and Hounds pub and North End.

West Croydon station has been shut.

BBC Travel alert is reporting buses across London Road have been stopped and London Tramlink is suspended between Reeves Corner and East Croydon.

7.45pm:

One petrified motorist warned drivers to avoid the stretch of London Road leading up to West Croydon station as gangs of marauding youths in balaclavas were attacking cars.

The female motorist was driving to pick her dad up from work to avoid any trouble when she drove past the junction of Sumner Road and London Road.

She said: "Everyone should avoid London Road towards West Croydon station. There were gangs of youths with hoodies and balaclavas trying to open car doors as they went past.

"One gentleman hadn't locked his car and they tried to get in but he managed to drive away.

"Another car crashed as he swerved to avoid another vehicle. It is very dangerous down here and my heart is still thumping from the experience."

7.36pm:

Metropolitan Police Deputy Assistant Commissioner Steve Kavanagh released this statement: "Our officers are out on duty across, and we have extra resources policing the capital. We will continue with this additional policing for as long as is necessary.

"Let me make it clear that people who are using current events as an excuse or cover to break the law, steal, attack police officers and cause fear to Londoners will not be tolerated by the vast majority of Londoners and us.

"Our investigation, which is massive in scope, is continuing. We are liaising with businesses and communities across London, including at a borough level to keep people up to date with what we are doing.

"I would ask Londoners if you know anything that may help us please get in touch with us via 020 8345 4142."

7.27pm: Croydon Guardian reporter Hannah Williamson has filed from the scene:

Around 200 youths are charging at police, throwing missiles before running away. Two rows of riot police are lining the junction of North End and London road with dangerous scenes unfolding near West Croydon station.

Sticks and pieces of stone and rock have been thrown at police. Youths are continuing to charge at police at the top of Tamworth road.

One teen who gave his name as Jermaine has been told by police he couldn't cross the line to go to his house.

He said: "Some of us are just trying to get home." Police have again moved the line of spectators back as bottles and bricks have started to be thrown.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm indebted to Miranda for passing this on. Brixton Cycles is unharmed!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14445570

Barnaby Stutter, one of the owners of aco-operative cycle shop, said that although it had been attacked back in 1995,it had been spared on Sunday night."[In 1995] our shop was robbed and Icame down at about midnight and found the shop full of children. It's not ariot, it's shopping.

"The young men and young children who havedone what they did in Brixton have no excuse."For the older communityhere, they can't walk on their own streets because of the police tape andglass, I think it's revolting."

But in the midst of the shock there was hopethat Sunday's violence would not return.The owner of a bakery in ColdharbourLane decided to hand out free cupcakes to people on the street, saying:"Brixton is about love. Who cares if people didn't show love last night?"Wewanted to show there is kindness in Brixton."

bongofury66

One teen who gave his name as Jermaine has been told by police he couldn't cross the line to go to his house.

He said: "Some of us are just trying to get home." Police have again moved the line of spectators back as bottles and bricks have started to be thrown.

I am sorry but if you are still 'hanging around' the vicinity after a certain period of time..you are guilty.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
If as the media reports the venues for these demonstrations were organised via social net working sights, should not the police have been able to havebeen able to have been forwarened about these riots
that's an interesting question, and one that the police have attempted to answer. They knew that there would be a demonstration outside Tottenham police station, and their response was to surround the police station with riot police. Which is about as dumb as it gets.

Now, what's happened here is predictable, and, in once sense, overdue. A man dies and lies are put about. As in Forest Gate, de Menezes, Tomlinson and Harry Stanley. Time (and more), methinks, for Dick Fedorcio to go.

What followed is utterly reprehensible. If you've got a quarrel with the police, go and demonstrate outside the police station, don't steal shoes.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

I am sorry but if you are still 'hanging around' the vicinity after a certain period of time..you are guilty.
guilty of what?

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
The trouble being is how much is it going to cost the decent hard working folk, like ourselves in a increase in tax's and shops adding to prices to cover their losses, in the end it's going to cost us decent folk in the pocket for their free shopping sprees.

Top Bottom