London to Brighton night ride, March 6th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Given they're having a three hour head start, not unless they're four sheets to the wind by the time we get going ;)
I had assumed they might be tacking ....

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
I took a look at their route (here: https://www.strava.com/routes/1507646) and found their variant at Reigate interesting. They go via Chipstead but don't ride up to the A217 / junction with M25 but make a left into Markedge Lane. After crossing the M25, they want to go through Gatton Park, down Rocky Lane (what's in a name? :whistle: On Street View, surface looks decent though).

I will of course stick to our recced and well-proven route (or, if the weather turns against us, to the A23) on Friday night. But just out of curiosity: Does anyone know that route? It could be an alternative in during daytime, when the A217 roundabout with the M25 is probably very hairy.

Tim Hall

I took a look at their route (here: https://www.strava.com/routes/1507646) and found their variant at Reigate interesting. They go via Chipstead but don't ride up to the A217 / junction with M25 but make a left into Markedge Lane. After crossing the M25, they want to go through Gatton Park, down Rocky Lane (what's in a name? :whistle: On Street View, surface looks decent though).

I will of course stick to our recced and well-proven route (or, if the weather turns against us, to the A23) on Friday night. But just out of curiosity: Does anyone know that route? It could be an alternative in during daytime, when the A217 roundabout with the M25 is probably very hairy.
It looks like the BHF London to Brighton route at that point. Downside is it doesn't go past Gatwick. And the descent of Markedge and Rocky Lanes aren't best done at night.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Eh? We still gossiped.
No I meant, was there something more salacious about their meeting we could speculate about ;-)

rb58

Enigma
It looks like the BHF London to Brighton route at that point. Downside is it doesn't go past Gatwick. And the descent of Markedge and Rocky Lanes aren't best done at night.
I'm pretty sure that is the BHF route - they also follow the BHF run in to Brighton, which is nowhere near as much fun as the golf course variation.

jiberjaber

Veteran
I once decided to walk to a meeting near St Pauls, I managed to walk a full circle back to Liverpool Street.... all from walking out of the wrong exit and not realizing, amazing how getting off a train and straight on to a tube makes it hard to work out the right exit if you change a routine! :smile:

Turn right for Bishopsgate I guess :smile:

Top Bottom