Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike3121

Looks like there is going to be quite a few of us in the "back pack"

I have been out today on my new bike for the 1st time (had it a week now) it wasn't a long ride just up and down the prom, practicing getting in and out of clipless pedals, went quite well seems as its the 1st time ive used them.
hoping to get out on a ride tomorrow, dodging bank holiday day trippers, this will be a test for getting out of pedals, could end up a bit cut and bruised!

looking forward to meeting up at Eureka

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Looks like there is going to be quite a few of us in the "back pack"

I have been out today on my new bike for the 1st time (had it a week now) it wasn't a long ride just up and down the prom, practicing getting in and out of clipless pedals, went quite well seems as its the 1st time ive used them.
hoping to get out on a ride tomorrow, dodging bank holiday day trippers, this will be a test for getting out of pedals, could end up a bit cut and bruised!

looking forward to meeting up at Eureka
You need to get a good length ride in, not for the clipping in and out but to make sure your still comfortable after 10miles or so, as you may need to adjust the cleats slightly in or out, so take an Allen key with you.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just a heads up for the ride. Came across this today which will most likely mean a slight detour on the day...
upload_2015-4-4_22-11-2.png

upload_2015-4-4_22-11-57.png

When we get to the little fortress thing we will most likely have to divert up the path on the left and travel along Marine Drive for a short distance, at least as far as The Pavilion.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just a heads up for the ride. Came across this today which will most likely mean a slight detour on the day...
View attachment 84707
View attachment 84708

When we get to the little fortress thing we will most likely have to divert up the path on the left and travel along Marine Drive for a short distance, at least as far as The Pavilion.

Cheers Skol, I went onto Marine drive on my recce as you suggest. You sure you can't sneak past the blockage on the prom?

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well, thank goodness for that.

I''ve been sweating on the Llandudno Travelodge for us all. They have kept putting back the opening date. It was originally November '14 - it's a brand new Travelodge. They opened just in time for Easter, having cancelled a load of March bookings.

Oh, and a quick heads up re bike spaces on the trains home. When I did my recce I had booked a place so no problem for me. The official bike store onboard has two spaces (with sort of seatbelts to keep the bikes stable) but there was definitely room for about four or five bikes there. Just need to lock them together. With a bit of faffing about I would think most if not all of us will be able to put our bikes in the official bike store location on the trains, reservation or no reservation

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Just about to finish a three week holiday in the mountains of the north Philippines (Baguio City), the wife thinks we are here to see family and for our daughter to meet all her cousins, but the true agenda was to get some altitude training (got to take the sausage challenge seriously) and to acclimatise to 25-30deg temperature as I have heard its going to be a scorcher on the 25th. When i say training I do mean thinking about training, as its far to hot to actually do anything, and far to dangerous to attempt riding the local roads. Just need to get on the bike when I get home and do a few miles before the big day.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just about to finish a three week holiday in the mountains of the north Philippines (Baguio City), the wife thinks we are here to see family and for our daughter to meet all her cousins, but the true agenda was to get some altitude training (got to take the sausage challenge seriously) and to acclimatise to 25-30deg temperature as I have heard its going to be a scorcher on the 25th. When i say training I do mean thinking about training, as its far to hot to actually do anything, and far to dangerous to attempt riding the local roads. Just need to get on the bike when I get home and do a few miles before the big day.

I'm also warm weather training next week.

All inclusive resort, got to get my alcohol tolerance level up to CC standard

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Booked in at the Morlea, anyone else? 0.2 miles from the centre +9 star rating for £36 - not a bad deal. And the bonus being it's less than a 4 min walk from The Albert real ale pub!

http://www.albertllandudno.co.uk

I'm also booked in at the Morlea - I've just had the booking confirmed.

If anyone else is thinking of staying over in Llandudno, I suggest that you make a booking asap. On Trip Advisor, many places have nothing available.

I've only cycled once in the last two months - I did 12 miles on Sunday. It's a good job that I'm starting at Eureka ^_^

Unusually, everything seems to be working out - Lady Pubby has agreed to follow me to Llandudno to drop off my car and she's then going to give me a lift to the Eureka - to arrive about 1pm.

Looking forward to this one :cheers: & especially, a few drinks afterwards - hopefully, the wine & women will flow in equal quantities. :whistle:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I''ve been sweating on the Llandudno Travelodge for us all. They have kept putting back the opening date. It was originally November '14 - it's a brand new Travelodge. They opened just in time for Easter, having cancelled a load of March bookings.

Approx. how many are staying over in Llandudno ?

Freds Dad

Veteran
I was thinking of staying over but SWMBO has said she will pick me up although I have looked at getting the train back to Crewe and she meets me there.

My other problem was about a change of footwear when I get to Llandudno. Any suggestions on how best to transport a change of footwear and maybe clothes apart from a bag on my back?

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I was thinking of staying over but SWMBO has said she will pick me up although I have looked at getting the train back to Crewe and she meets me there.

My other problem was about a change of footwear when I get to Llandudno. Any suggestions on how best to transport a change of footwear and maybe clothes apart from a bag on my back?

You could post stuff to @Ootini I think, he's offered something like that upthread.

I'm also sticking a pair of flip flops in my jersey pocket to pop on in cafes

Ootini

Also if anyone wants to drop anything off with me on the Sunday morning for me to post back to a given address, that's fine too. Just let me know.

Top Bottom