Manchester people on bikes......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If Manchester's really genuine about changing how people get around the city, they should reduce the quantity of city centre parking for every park & ride built.

Yet more and more cars are being forced into the city centre every few months. As they constantly remove car parks to build more and more overpriced apartments.

When I started working in the city centre 3 years ago, I parked about 15 minute cycle away, took it in my car and then cycled through the centre. The price was increase to that ABOVE city centre prices, and then later closed. I then rented a space from a friend who lived on the edge of Salford and cycled in. When he moved, I found a car park that was again closer into the city, about a 10 minute walk. 18 months ago it was £12 per week, within 12 months it had climbed to £27 per week! As more and more car parks closed, and this was getting full by 8am.

A few months ago, that too closed so that they can build apartments on it, 1 bed apartments for £900 pcm! There are now 600 cars from that car park alone that need to find more spaces.

Manchester need to increase the quantity of parking at the edges, as the current trend of allowing car parks on the edges to be removed in favour of more accomodation is what is forcing the cars into the city centre.

Previously I have been unable to use trains as I often work outside of the hours which the trains are running, thankfully, I have an understanding employer. Who has given me permission to work reduced hours (at the same salary), and plan shifts around train times. But I understand I am extremely lucky in that, but there are many that won't be lucky. Manchester housing is far too expensive, so many commute from cheaper surrounding areas, but then Manchesters policies make it difficult for those people to travel into the city, it's bizarre.

Wtf? Over reaction there dude. I was referring to those who go as fast as they can and expect the rest of the highway users to get out of the way.
The cycling equivalent of a 'boy racer'.

You can tell what cyclists are thinking? What incident are you talking about, or is it just going fast that makes a cyclist a lout?

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran
Is that designed to make me cross? I don't need training. I don't want to behave like traffic. I dislike taking primary as it means I need to cycle for too fast for too long, with inevitable conflict from drivers who can't stand being held up for more than a second. I don't want to have to cycle at 30mph. I want to ride my bike from A to B without being squashed by a numpty driver.

potsy

Rambler
Is that designed to make me cross? I don't need training. I don't want to behave like traffic. I dislike taking primary as it means I need to cycle for too fast for too long, with inevitable conflict from drivers who can't stand being held up for more than a second. I don't want to have to cycle at 30mph. I want to ride my bike from A to B without being squashed by a numpty driver.
I find that ignoring certain people on this forum makes it a much moe pleasant place to be, you may or may not want to do likewise.

You think cyclists using the road are "playing"? I think your troubles on the road may be connected with your ignorant attitude. Stop attacking people doing nothing wrong. If you want to use the lane then knock yourself out.

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran
I can think of no other word to describe it, it's a pure on adrenaline rush from start to finish, with close passes, door zones, people pulling into and out of parking / loading... In all honesty, if I was forced to be a vehicular cyclist, I'd stop riding.

I don't think I've 'attacked' anyone.

Why do you think collisions are more frequent on cycle lanes? The road is often much safer. Fewer junctions, for a start. But your choice of words is what worries me, it's similar to pig ignorant drivers who feel any cyclist who shuns the lane is fair game. It's a nasty, hateful attitude.

Top Bottom