Manchester people on bikes......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've seen the scheme and can't help wondering how long it will be before the press are gleefully reporting collisions between cyclists and pedestrians.

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran
Honestly, as a utility cyclist, this is what we need. Yes, there are points I don't agree with, but the overall design is a vast improvement on previous. If the changes they are proposing go ahead it's vastly less safe that it could be especially the loading bay changes and the changes outside St James' office block.

Noru

Manchester city centre really segregated cycle lanes. I know we've not got the budget of London but its a step in the right direction.
I understand that current cyclists may feel safe on the road but these are needed to encourage people who current think it's too risky.

If Manchester's really genuine about changing how people get around the city, they should reduce the quantity of city centre parking for every park & ride built.
I only made the mistake of driving into the centre of Oxford once when I lived in Witney, realised there was insufficient parking drove back out and used the Park & Ride. I then cycled or used a P&R every time I visited Oxford for the years I lived there.
Less private cars would benefit cyclists, pedestrians, emergency services, taxi's, buses and the metro.

Pete Owens

I didn't realise there was anyone left who still thought painting cycle lanes in the door zone was a remotely sensible thing to do. Perhaps the designers should be invited to join a class of nine year olds on a bikability course to have it explained to them why riding in the door zone is a very bad idea.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I think the curbs and bollards are damn right dangerous
The promotional video show that Lycra louts will still be safer using the road than now. I think the optional segregated cycle lane will be attractive to the utility cyclist who's only interested in getting to or from home or work safely and has no interest in Strava times.

potsy

Rambler
The promotional video show that Lycra louts will still be safer using the road than now. I think the optional segregated cycle lane will be attractive to the utility cyclist who's only interested in getting to or from home or work safely and has no interest in Strava times.
And then the morons will be screaming at them to 'get in the f'kin cycle lane'

The optional bit will be largely overlooked, Mancs are not the brightest of people :whistle:

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran
...which is exactly what they are building for (allegedly). MCR is targeting 10% of trips by bike by ? 2020 ?
(utility cyclist WAVES FRANTICALLY FROM THE CORNER).

You reckon any cyclist who uses the road is a lout? I shun crap lanes like most sensible cyclists, don't slag us off for trying to stay safe please.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
You reckon any cyclist who uses the road is a lout? I shun crap lanes like most sensible cyclists, don't slag us off for trying to stay safe please.
Wtf? Over reaction there dude. I was referring to those who go as fast as they can and expect the rest of the highway users to get out of the way.
The cycling equivalent of a 'boy racer'.

Top Bottom