England : Greater Manchester M'cr - Southport - M'cr Night Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interested CCers

Meeting at 23.00hrs on 23/11/12 in Manchester centre and setting off at midnight on 24/11/12

@middleagecyclist
@Craven2354
@Cyclist33
@DCLane
@bromptonfb
@tubbycyclist
@Markymark

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After enjoying my first 100 odd mile night ride recently I would like to do another and am keen to organise one myself. I am thinking of going from Manchester to Southport via Haslingen and Preston and returning via Formby and Wigan. This is the tentative route I have in mind.

I envisage riders meeting in Manchester centre around 23.00 hrs on a Friday and setting off at midnight. Hopefully this side of Christmas but of course subject to late confirmation depending on the weather at the time. A group ride with no one left behind, faster climbers waiting for slower riders after ascending. No Wayfinders or Tail End Charlies but a decent set of written directions and a list of contact mobiles in case anyone gets lost/has mechanicals. On returning to Manchester all have a big breakfast together before going our seperate ways.

Anyone interested?

Dipak

This is a great idea :smile:
I want to go but my leg is currently recovering from being broken :sad:

Cyclist33

After enjoying my first 100 odd mile night ride recently I would like to do another and am keen to organise one myself. I am thinking of going from Manchester to Southport via Haslingen and Preston and returning via Formby and Wigan. This is the tentative route I have in mind.

I envisage riders meeting in Manchester centre around 23.00 hrs on a Friday and setting off at midnight. Hopefully this side of Christmas but of course subject to late confirmation depending on the weather at the time. A group ride with no one left behind, faster climbers waiting for slower riders after ascending. No Wayfinders or Tail End Charlies but a decent set of written directions and a list of contact mobiles in case anyone gets lost/has mechanicals. On returning to Manchester all have a big breakfast together before going our seperate ways.

Anyone interested?

I'm very keen. Provided that my influeningyphoid has cleared up, and if it's not on one of my access weekends, count me in.

Stu

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Manchester Friday Night Ride in a Circle rather than FRTTC ?

Seems a good idea - I'm only tentative 'cos it's on the wrong side of the Pennines for me and SWMBO would think I'd completely lost it :crazy:

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
OK guys (and gals if any want to come). Nice to have some interest for this. I have looked at my diary and the earliest Friday evening/Saturday morning I can manage is 23-24/11/12. So that is the date for the moment. If it doesn't suit a lot of people then an alternative date could be discussed but for me would have to be even later in the year. Of course, I would not want to do this in really bad weather so it would all be subject to confirmation a few days before. Anyway, all informal and nothing to pay. If you are interested please let me know so I can get an idea of numbers.

If you haven't done a century ride yet then don't worry. This is not going to be a race. If you can manage 50-60 odd miles now then going to 100 is not a big stretch for most cyclists. If you haven't ridden at night then you don't know what you are missing. A good front light will be pretty essential on some of these roads as there are sections which are completey unlit and you will need decent, warm, layered clothing and an outer shell jacket at least. Apart from that just normal bike stuff.

Any questions or suggestions please fire away.

Cheers

craven2354

I know it's abit bland but what about the a580 onto the a570 it's just easy and flat for the way there

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I'm in, but from haslingden, I live near there so will do the loop but from a different starting finishing point. There are far far better routes to southport for day rides, but it seems more sensible for a night ride to use main roads.

I would have liked to do this as my first century, but my dad is getting married the next day, might be pushing it getting to Somerset for 11.30am after the ride :laugh: . Can we do another weekend?

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
I'm in, but from haslingden, I live near there so will do the loop but from a different starting finishing point. There are far far better routes to southport for day rides, but it seems more sensible for a night ride to use main roads.
Excellent. We can pick you up on the way thru Haslingden. If you have brekkie in Manchester I'll be able to ride up to Prestwich with you for your leg home.

Top Bottom