England : Greater Manchester M'cr - Southport - M'cr Night Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craven2354

I would have liked to do this as my first century, but my dad is getting married the next day, might be pushing it getting to Somerset for 11.30am after the ride :laugh: . Can we do another weekend?
Tell him he needs to move the wedding ;)

tubbycyclist

I quite fancy this, depending on the date.

A couple of thoughts -

From previous audax experience it is worth checking out what 24 hour facilities are en route - temperatures are likely to around 3-5 degrees overnight and the chance to have a hot caffeinated drink is invaluable and staves off the "dozies". There are definitely accessible services very near the route at the M65/A666 junction at Blackburn that will be 24 hour, may be other options that some locals might know. A lot of 24 hour petrol stations are hatch only - so you can get coke but not coffee.

Some town centres on a Friday night can be inhospitable to cyclists, especially when the clubs kick out! May be worth thinking about diverting out of the centre of Preston as likely to be around that time?

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
I quite fancy this, depending on the date.

A couple of thoughts -

From previous audax experience it is worth checking out what 24 hour facilities are en route - temperatures are likely to around 3-5 degrees overnight and the chance to have a hot caffeinated drink is invaluable and staves off the "dozies". There are definitely accessible services very near the route at the M65/A666 junction at Blackburn that will be 24 hour, may be other options that some locals might know. A lot of 24 hour petrol stations are hatch only - so you can get coke but not coffee.

Some town centres on a Friday night can be inhospitable to cyclists, especially when the clubs kick out! May be worth thinking about diverting out of the centre of Preston as likely to be around that time?
Good points. Thanks.

I was thinking of a 24hr Mcdonalds in Southport and garages elsewhere if needed. Something to consider certainly.

The provisional date is 23-24/11/12.

tubbycyclist

I was thinking of a 24hr Mcdonalds in Southport and garages elsewhere if needed. Something to consider certainly.
Worth knowing that MuckyD's have a no cyclists policy at their drive through once the "restaurant" closes - although most open at 5am. I have fallen foul of this at 2.30am, so worth having a Plan B.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Worth knowing that MuckyD's have a no cyclists policy at their drive through once the "restaurant" closes - although most open at 5am. I have fallen foul of this at 2.30am, so worth having a Plan B.
Weird, you try to give 'em money and they won't take it.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
I only realised tonight that I have tickets to see the Hairy bikers in Bolton that night as well, maybe as they are in to cycling they could come too?

1349304992_4782f4a82ab2e3be90da15188c5bd858.jpg

Too orange! Sorry.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Have checked with MaccyDs on Southport front. It is 24 hrs indoors seated.

I'm thinking of cycling the majority of the route during the daytime sometime in October and will check out turnings, short cuts, refreshment options and the like.

Top Bottom