My new cheapie road bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Its not overly heavy. I simply recalled an Amazon seller claim 10KG which seemed as much a lie as error.I calculated the old 2009 model as being something like 15.5KG!
My answer was purely based on the description when i brought mine,it was somewhere between 11-12kg :blush:
Definatly not 10 kg though :whistle:

dont get me wrong i do like the bike,just dont love the bike,not yet anyway,once i get a 130mm stem and some half decent calipers i'm sure it'll be a different story :thumbsup:

As for the weight mate,its no lightweight coming in at just over 11kg i believe.

If your planning on upgrading, try an ad in the wanted section, people on here usually have bits and bobs that they might like to get rid of.

They are usually quite a generous bunch.

Edit: you beat me to it

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
If your planning on upgrading, try an ad in the wanted section, people on here usually have bits and bobs that they might like to get rid of.

They are usually quite a generous bunch.

Edit: you beat me to it
:biggrin: I've been getting my post count up so i can get my mits on the classifieds :biggrin:

fixedfixer

Veteran
Just out of interst how did you find the gear levers with them being mounted on the handle bars?

Nice pair of downtube levers would look better in my opinion - the frame has the braze-ons to accommodate them.

Edit - No, those are just cable stops on the downtubes not the lugs. Reminds me to make an appointment for an eye test :blush:

Tynan

Veteran
quite normal to have nasty brake blocks fitted to a new bike, cheap and easy to fix that

chugsy

If you have come from a hybrid or MTB with V's or discs then the brakes will feel crap - especially braking from the hoods. Grabbin handfuls from the drops should stop you more effectively but this is not the normal riding position for most I think... I've learnt to read the road and brake earlier - sometimes fred flintstone style! bought these on recommendation here which have improved braking no end:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55815
As my bike came with pad holders I got to replace front and back for less than a tenner.

peelywally

a guy went past me on a black viking bike the other day ,

granted i wasnt bolting but pacing myself still he was shifting along good style ,

thats a good looking bike i think ive a yellow giant so maybe a bit biased ;)

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
cheers for the comments,i'm actually getting there with the set up now,each day i go out to the shed,have a tinker with the bike,test ride through the village then back for more adjustments,i won a race face 130mm stem this eve on ebay for 3.10 brand new and i think for the actual riding position i'll have it sussed once thats fitted,along with a set of 440mm's as my bars are only 400.Actually beggining to really like the bike.
The brakes are still an issue,my mtb does have v brakes but they're set up to be soft braking,dont want sharp brakes in wet mud etc,so still trying to scource a CHEAP set of calipers.:biggrin:

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
How does £25 posted sound. They are good brakes and look good as well which is always a bonus :smile:.
sounds good mate,what drop are they? also my front caliper is a single allen bolt fixing through the rear of the forks,are these compatible?
VikingGirofrontcaliper.jpg

Top Bottom