My new cheapie road bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Have you lowered the pads to the lowest they go. That would help. Glad you like them though. They do stop well enough :smile:.
Yup they're right on the lowest possible drop,still as said just pleased to have decent brakes :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Well i must say after loads of tinkering,adjusting etc the bike now rides spot on except one slight niggle which i'm working on,the rear duerallier slightly loses its adjustment on rides and 5th,6th & 7th get a bit jumpy,going to put a bit of thread lock on the adjuster screw once i've re done the gears,anyway thoroughly enjoying the bike now,went out for a 20 miler thursday at 9pm,was back by 10pm and yesterday me and the mrs got a 35 miler under our belts so i can see the bike getting plenty of use now,i was close to getting rid but glad i persevered with it :biggrin:

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Mate, that's a sweet ride: anything that gets you on the road is cool!

Starting with a "low-end" bike means the only way is up: I rode a hybrid with a rack for four years, got an 80's/90's steel-framed racer off Ebay for a ton this Summer and I couldn't be happier.

If I'd blown £1,500 on a carbon bike (like my mate), I dare say I'd be picking holes in it by now (like my mate) and pissed-off with the money I'd spent (like my mate).

Enjoy!

PS I'm just as fast as my mate and no-one looks at his ride, I get loads of looks/comments...

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Cheers Jimmy,to start with i honestly regretted buying the thing,being so used to mtb's it just felt horrible,combined with piss poor brakes,slipping gears etc etc i hated it,stuck it in the shed on a rack for a couple of weeks and fettled and adjusted and fettled some more,fitted new calipers and hey presto totally different bike now,i love how it looks and now love how it rides,so glad i did'nt buy an expensive bike now cos same as your mate i would definatly be picking holes in it by now.:thumbsup:

curzons246

Veteran
Hi Chris,

nice to read your progress and enjoyment of your bike. I've got a 1973 Carlton Continental with some nice gear on it Mafac brakes Mavic wheels and Shimano 600 ex Arabesque Chain and Gear set. She cost me £115 of Ebay. We do about 75 miles a week and on Saturday did 36 miles for the first time. I've got a Triumph Trident tucked up in the garage which i havnt ridden in a couple of years and have been considering selling it to upgrade my road Bike but as i dont know any better i dont know what i'd gain? the Carlton has a 25.5 inch frame and fits like a glove and at 19st i know it's me thats got the weight problem not the Carlton at 22lbs :-)

Cheers Bill

curzons246

Veteran
Sorry that should be 24lbs.

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
I've got the bike bug now curzons and want to get another to rebuild as a touring bike,once that one was finished would then have to do my mrs one too,as it is we have 4 bikes between us :biggrin:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I wonder if he has better brakes then mine :ohmy:

Doubt it Angelfish is famous for not knowing when to stop......

Seriously though great bike ,enjoy it. Having ridden with Angelfish a few times it seemed like a lot of bike for the money. (And he is a good bloke in real life btw)

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Doubt it Angelfish is famous for not knowing when to stop......

Seriously though great bike ,enjoy it. Having ridden with Angelfish a few times it seemed like a lot of bike for the money. (And he is a good bloke in real life btw)
Yeah shame bout Angelfish,i sent him a message bout the bike for he's views on it but he did'nt get it for obvious reasons,good to know he's is riding well too,does'nt bode too bad for mine hopefully :biggrin:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Glad you're enjoying your new ride
biggrin.gif

I know I'm not known for my good taste, but it looks really nice to me
cool.gif

Bloody good value too!

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Glad you're enjoying your new ride
biggrin.gif

I know I'm not known for my good taste, but it looks really nice to me
cool.gif

Bloody good value too!
Ta mate,now its set up properly i can see exactly how much of a bargain it is,i would now recommend it to someone wanting a cheap road bike whereas before i would never have considered recommending it to anyone.:biggrin:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Looks sweet !

Nowt wrong with low end bikes if they get you on the road and are set up right .

I ride a Carrera Virtuoso fully commuterized with gaurds ,lights , racks and panniers that comes in about 45 llbs fully loaded and i still enjoy the ride .

Top Bottom