FNRttC New FNRttC Website...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I just tried to pay my £2 subs and you have to create a paypal account to do it. I've paid paypal things before with just credit card without having to create a paypal a/c.

I'll hand over two shiny pounds, or perhaps one shiny two pound coin, at the start of the next ride.

Tim Hall

I just tried to pay my £2 subs and you have to create a paypal account to do it. I've paid paypal things before with just credit card without having to create a paypal a/c.

I'll hand over two shiny pounds, or perhaps one shiny two pound coin, at the start of the next ride.
RHS of the Paypal screen, under the Login button it says "Don't have a Paypal Account? Pay using your debit or credit card." Whether that works or not I don't know, as I do have one.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
RHS of the Paypal screen, under the Login button it says "Don't have a Paypal Account? Pay using your debit or credit card." Whether that works or not I don't know, as I do have one.
I don't get that. I get a message that says "You need a PayPal account for this purchase." and two radio buttons:
  • I already have a PayPal account.
  • I need to create a PayPal account (where available).
So I gave up.

StuartG

slower but further
I'd like to pay my £2 but when I go to the website paying in page it only offers me the unsubscribe option if I want to leave. Which, strangely enough, I don't. Dunno if this is a subtle hint but I'll bring the requisite to the Southend run - in pennies @mmmmartin so saddlebag up!

I'd like to pay my £2 but when I go to the website paying in page it only offers me the unsubscribe option if I want to leave. Which, strangely enough, I don't. Dunno if this is a subtle hint but I'll bring the requisite to the Southend run - in pennies @mmmmartin so saddlebag up!
Usually that means you've already got a live Paypal subscription in place. Martin B can check that for you.... so hold onto your pennies for now!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
@StuartG is correct, as usual. There is no record of him having done so, not in any email notification I have, nor in the PayPal account details under either his first name or his surname. I am perplexed that he should have an "unsubscribe" option when he hasn't "subscribed" in the first place. This is slightly worrying.

StuartG

slower but further
I still have the Fridays subscription setup for bank transfer which would avoid PayPal taking their 'cut'. But I'm not sure whether that is to a private DZ account or whether it is within your control ...

mmmmartin

Random geezer
ah, that would be to DZ, there were no monies and no financial details transferred to The Little Helpers. So he is now the proud beneficiary of your two quid, and we are not. if you can persevere with the PayPal thingy and make it work you should find life much easier - the two quid will come out automatically each year.

PayPal do take a cut but it was felt that using it was easier than anything else. I did look at a separate bank account but the US tax authorities needed a form to be filled in and at that point I gave up.

The monies come into my own PayPal account and I keep tabs on it and tell The Little Helpers what is happening: this is easy to do as PayPal makes it simple to keep track of who pays what.

StuartG

slower but further
ah, that would be to DZ, there were no monies and no financial details transferred to The Little Helpers. So he is now the proud beneficiary of your two quid, and we are not. if you can persevere with the PayPal thingy and make it work you should find life much easier - the two quid will come out automatically each year.
DZ will have to endure an impoverished retirement as I didn't pay it this year (and last - oops). That's why I was trying the PayPal thingy. I've tried again and the missing subscribe button has mysteriously re-appeared so you are now two quid richer. Don't spend it all at once ...

mmmmartin

Random geezer
thanks @StuartG - the email popped through a few minutes ago. now you are officially A Friday you can sign up to the CTC with the vastly reduced subscription afforded to those who are members of a group that is Affiliated to the CTC.

StuartG

slower but further
I'm already a member of another CTC affiliated club so I am already a legally affiliated member. Though its a steep rise from £16 (or was it £18) to £24 which surely can't be justified by the insurance element. Maybe we should send in DZ back in to show them how to run a lean, efficient and fun club? No committees, just rides ... and tours ... and beer ... and repeat!

ianmac62

Guru
... Though its a steep rise from £16 (or was it £18) to £24 which surely can't be justified by the insurance element ...

There's a rumour, which I didn't get to the bottom of when I asked a question from the floor at the last CTC AGM, that they were heavily hit by a large insurance claim. The second part of the rumour is that one member sued another over a serious accident on a local CTC group ride.

Tandemistas should not get ideas!

But just rumours.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
There's a rumour, which I didn't get to the bottom of when I asked a question from the floor at the last CTC AGM, that they were heavily hit by a large insurance claim. The second part of the rumour is that one member sued another over a serious accident on a local CTC group ride.

Tandemistas should not get ideas!

But just rumours.
That would make sense (for some values of "make sense"). Underwriters tend to get very twitchy about recent claim experience, even though it probably tells you nothing about risk.

Also CTC rapidly moving from being run by interested volunteers to paid business professionals...

In my experience interested volunteers are less likely to be open about things like the rumours @ianmac62 mentions than paid professionals.

Top Bottom