FNRttC New FNRttC Website...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Surprisingly Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Denmark, Monaco and the Channel Islands all have lower highest points than the Netherlands.

Denmark and Russia both have lower lowest points than the Netherlands. As does Kazakhstan which for football purposes in also in Europe.
I feel I'll have to sort myself out another hospital trip just to save you from yourself.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
There are rivers in the Netherlands that are lower than sea level and drain into the sea. Clever people, the Dutch. So much so that........
trying to learn the language. So far, let's just say it's not as good as my Norwegian.

Clever people, the Dutch. So much so that........
trying to learn the language.
I haven't started a conscientious effort to learn Dutch but I've been spending a lot of time on Dutch websites and find that you can often get just enough of the gist of things to not need to hit the 'translate' button. Of course, I am not getting all the detail or the benefit of guidance/advice.

My high school Spanish (the Old World kind not the New World variants) serves me surprisingly well in parts of Italy. But I've never given myself much credit for having any aptitude with learning new languages. Unlike my nephew who soaked up 2 or 3 between the ages of 18 and 24 -- and then he married a Kenyan girl and found out that a language like Swahili needs effort!. But I digress: languages take concentration and time to learn. I am beginning to scope out what it will take to try and achieve an adequate degree of competence in Dutch over the next 2-3 years.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
OK, courtesy of Google translate, here's a question.

Bent u van plan weer te verkopen vrijdag truien ?
Are you planning on selling Fridays jerseys again?

mmmmartin

Random geezer

Yes. There are two reasons why this is not currently being trumpeted from the rooftops and we are not making A Big Fuss:
  1. A Round Tuit is sadly lacking - the Little Helpers have been busy planning actual rides'n'stuff. Also I have gone back to work for a while and have sick and dying relatives to cope with.
  2. The original design is still with the company that made them and we need to get it and hand it to another company and then you can order each one as you need it. The problem with this approach is that it'll be a lot more expensive than when it was done by @dellzeqq because he took orders, placed one big order and bought them and then handed them over to the people who had made the order. This was incredibly time-consuming and a real PITA.
But this is a thought we have and are holding to. Please be patient.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I asked @Delftse Post about this when we met him in September. He said it has taken him a long while to be anything approaching fluent in Dutch, and he lives there.
I have no doubt that is true and my pathetic attempts to order one single coffee tend to produce gales of laughter. But at least I'm trying, which is what anyone would like. Just rocking up and commanding a coffee in a foreign language is not polite. I know. I've done it thousands of times....... All I want is to speak some sort of bastard basic badly-pronounced effort at speaking someone else's language. It worked in Chile where they were amazingly nice to me once I'd made an effort.

I asked @Delftse Post about this when we met him in September. He said it has taken him a long while to be anything approaching fluent in Dutch, and he lives there. At least, I think that's what he said, we had had a few beers.
Oh I'm not under-estimating the challenge! The problem to be honest is not letting the whole idea intimidate me into not even trying.

The UCL's online courses look good, and we have a local Dutch teacher who is on the Dutch Embassy's list.

I'll be mulling it over, the next few years while I finish my OU degree and we visit the Netherlands again and again and again.

Yes. There are two reasons why this is not currently being trumpeted from the rooftops and we are not making A Big Fuss:
  1. A Round Tuit is sadly lacking - the Little Helpers have been busy planning actual rides'n'stuff. Also I have gone back to work for a while and have sick and dying relatives to cope with.
  2. The original design is still with the company that made them and we need to get it and hand it to another company and then you can order each one as you need it. The problem with this approach is that it'll be a lot more expensive than when it was done by @dellzeqq because he took orders, placed one big order and bought them and then handed them over to the people who had made the order. This was incredibly time-consuming and a real PITA.
But this is a thought we have and are holding to. Please be patient.

In addition to the design point...

3. the Copyright in the design is (presumably, in the absence of proof to the contrary which would be very unlikely indeed) owned by Simon.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life

I've just collected my brand new Audax Club Hackney jersey, made in England by http://shop.hackneygt.com/ Not cheap (55 "snots", as they say in the Hackneydales), but really nice.
IMG_1754.JPG

The following point surely is heresy. But anyway: Almost all of @dellzeqq's decisions regarding the Friday's have been so good that they should not be altered. I do wonder if the jersey design is the one exception that proves the rule.

Top Bottom