Paging CC Ecosse - Mull and Moidart rides, first week of Sept, 2016?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hmm. I hadn't been thinking in small island terms - I normally plot my routes and then find a cafe just over halfway round but I don't think there is one in a suitable place on Mull!

There is a post office/shop in Dervaig where we should be able to buy provisions, but I think we would have to ride to Tobermory to find a cafe or suitable pub.

The thing is, looking at the ferry times, and the fairly lumpy terrain, I'm now thinking that it would be sensible to try and keep the hills and total distance down a bit and that would mean taking a couple of shortcuts which would bypass Tobermory. I'm happy to carry what I need and just find somewhere with a nice view to take a break.

My current plan is to ride clockwise from Craignure on the A849 round to the end of Loch Beg, then head north on the B8035 up the west coast of the Isle as far as Achleck. From there, take a shortcut over to Dervaig and call in at the shop. Then head down Glen Aros to join the A848 at Aros Cott on the east coast of the Isle. After that there is an easy ride down the A849 back to Craignure. When I rode on Mull a couple of years ago, we got back to Craignure and found an establishment open which sold us ice creams and coffee.

The 2 shortcuts would reduce the total distance to 118 km/73 miles. There would be about 1,200 metres/4,000 ft of climbing. Here is the elevation profile of that loop ...

Shorter Mull loop elevation profile.png

It has a bit of everything, except for heavy traffic! Mainly quiet roads, spectacular coastal views, a few decent climbs, some great descents, lochs,and rivers. A nice quick, and virtually flat finish.

I think that would make a good day out without us having to rush too much. What do you reckon?

Fubar

Guru
Hmm. I hadn't been thinking in small island terms - I normally plot my routes and then find a cafe just over halfway round but I don't think there is one in a suitable place on Mull!

There is a post office/shop in Dervaig where we should be able to buy provisions, but I think we would have to ride to Tobermory to find a cafe or suitable pub.

The thing is, looking at the ferry times, and the fairly lumpy terrain, I'm now thinking that it would be sensible to try and keep the hills and total distance down a bit and that would mean taking a couple of shortcuts which would bypass Tobermory. I'm happy to carry what I need and just find somewhere with a nice view to take a break.

My current plan is to ride clockwise from Craignure on the A849 round to the end of Loch Beg, then head north on the B8035 up the west coast of the Isle as far as Achleck. From there, take a shortcut over to Dervaig and call in at the shop. Then head down Glen Aros to join the A848 at Aros Cott on the east coast of the Isle. After that there is an easy ride down the A849 back to Craignure. When I rode on Mull a couple of years ago, we got back to Craignure and found an establishment open which sold us ice creams and coffee.

The 2 shortcuts would reduce the total distance to 118 km/73 miles. There would be about 1,200 metres/4,000 ft of climbing. Here is the elevation profile of that loop ...

View attachment 130072

It has a bit of everything, except for heavy traffic! Mainly quiet roads, spectacular coastal views, a few decent climbs, some great descents, lochs,and rivers. A nice quick, and virtually flat finish.

I think that would make a good day out without us having to rush too much. What do you reckon?

Sounds good, not too taxing and feel a bit better about the speed as well! I'll need to investigate accommodation as its a bit fat to drive there and back in a day, thinking of trying to persuade Mrs Fu to a weekend on Mull (which would also negate any ferry issues, for me) so will get back to you on that, but route, elevation and speed all sound doable!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Include me in the Isle of Mull ride, please.

It's an opportunity to ride on a Scottish island I've never visited taking a well-researched route in excellent company - I would be daft not to join in.

I've already made some online preparations in the shape of a hotel booking in Oban and the purchase of a cheap map of the island - doubt that will be needed given the company, but I would regard it as bordering on the irresponsible to set off on such an adventure without a map.

Speaking of which, a quick look at the route on the OS map online indicates it is a lot flatter than I expected.

Yes, lots of ups and downs, but there are only three of those nasty little black arrows, and none are together, although going clockwise we will be going up each one.

The steepest climbs are all in the south west section of the ride, and there's an obvious bail out/short cut shortly afterwards on the B8035 between Gruline and Salen.

That's also an option for anyone wanting to do the ride, but fearing the full route might be a bit too sore for them.

Looks like self-sufficiency in food and drink would be wise, which is a pity because I like to spend a few pounds locally wherever I visit.

Although there may still be an opportunity for that, we do pass a hotel or two.

So just to confirm, the ride date is Saturday, September 3.

The ferry leaves Oban at 7.45am, so those of us using it we will need to be at the terminal by 7.30am.

I'm going to finish by pinging @Pat "5mph" in the hope of persuading her to join us.

Come on Pat, it will be fun, me and thee can tootle along at the back and let those roadie fellas wear each other out up the road.

And there's always the short cut, which would give us an extended coffee/sitting around talking rubbish opportunity in Salen.

Fubar

Guru
Mrs Fu is up for a weekend on Mull so I just need to find and book some accommodation (plus ferries) and I'm there!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Come on Pat, it will be fun, me and thee can tootle along at the back and let those roadie fellas wear each other out up the road.

And there's always the short cut, which would give us an extended coffee/sitting around talking rubbish opportunity in Salen.
I'll think about it, September is a busy month at work for me.
I'll think about it if you come with a non electric bike and do the whole distance of 73 miles ^_^
If I'll decide to come I'll have lost a stone and will be on my road bike :tongue:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'll think about it, September is a busy month at work for me.
I'll think about it if you come with a non electric bike and do the whole distance of 73 miles ^_^
If I'll decide to come I'll have lost a stone and will be on my road bike :tongue:

If I tried the ride on my push bike September would be a busy month for me as well - I'd spend most it trying to get round.

Losing a stone is a good plan, for me if not for you.

See you in Oban on the third - you know you want to.

Fubar

Guru
Accommodation and ferries booked! We are staying the weekend in Tobermory (we've both always wanted to go there), so if they ride is going clockwise I will need to ride down to meet you off the ferry Saturday am.

S'pose I'd better ask my boss for the time off now...:whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Accommodation and ferries booked! We are staying the weekend in Tobermory (we've both always wanted to go there), so if they ride is going clockwise I will need to ride down to meet you off the ferry Saturday am.

Excellent!

I was feeling slightly guilty for skipping Tobermory but having to be back for the last ferry was playing on my mind so I wanted to do the shorter distance to allow a more relaxed pace. Now you will get to see the town/village anyway!

If you wanted to, you could head north back up to Tobermory on the A848 from Aros Cott when we turn south back to Craignure.

Fubar

Guru
Excellent!

I was feeling slightly guilty for skipping Tobermory but having to be back for the last ferry was playing on my mind so I wanted to do the shorter distance to allow a more relaxed pace. Now you will get to see the town/village anyway!

If you wanted to, you could head north back up to Tobermory on the A848 from Aros Cott when we turn south back to Craignure.

Yeah with the extra mileage early doors I'll probably peel off at that point - also keeps the brownie points intact!

DaggersJeff

Hi Guys,
There a few hotels on the island route where you can stop of for a sarnie. The best cafe is at Fishnish ferry (a couple of miles off the main road)
Excellent bacon rolls, cake and ice cream.
You will be will accompanied on the ride, by Mull's wildlife, sheep and red deer on the roads, and the Golden and White tail eagles above you, otters, porpoises and basking sharks off the edge. Theres some cracking climbs on the island, and some good downhills, I once rolled in neutral for 5 miles across Glen More!!!

Would have been up for this but we are going up for New Year this time.

Fubar

Guru
Hi Guys,
There a few hotels on the island route where you can stop of for a sarnie. The best cafe is at Fishnish ferry (a couple of miles off the main road)
Excellent bacon rolls, cake and ice cream.
You will be will accompanied on the ride, by Mull's wildlife, sheep and red deer on the roads, and the Golden and White tail eagles above you, otters, porpoises and basking sharks off the edge. Theres some cracking climbs on the island, and some good downhills, I once rolled in neutral for 5 miles across Glen More!!!

Would have been up for this but we are going up for New Year this time.

Sounds great, thanks for the tip off! If we see a Golden Eagle I will HAVE to stop and take a picture, ala @Pat "5mph" (sorry @ColinJ...)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sounds great, thanks for the tip off! If we see a Golden Eagle I will HAVE to stop and take a picture, ala @Pat "5mph" (sorry @ColinJ...)
If we see a Golden Eagle then I will be taking pictures too! :okay:

I must get a new bar bag for my camera. At the moment I am using my phone camera for ride photos and that is carried in a Camelbak bag on my back, which isn't exactly handy for impromptu snaps!

DaggersJeff

Fubar,

Where you staying in Tobermory?

Top Bottom