Paging CC Ecosse - Mull and Moidart rides, first week of Sept, 2016?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Hi Colin, somehow managed to miss this even though @Col5632 tagged me! what's your intended speed for 3 September ride and how tough is it? I am somewhat slow this year and haven't done much over 100k so far! Don't want to either hold you up or totally show myself up, and would probably need to look at accommodation etc.
Hi Fubar how's it going?:okay::highfive:

:hello:
Posting to show interest. Not sure I can afford to spend several days up there but I could certainly make it to one of the rides
(whichever is most subscribed/best weather)

Fubar

Guru
:hello:
Posting to show interest. Not sure I can afford to spend several days up there but I could certainly make it to one of the rides
(whichever is most subscribed/best weather)

Welcome aboard! Have we met? I have a vague memory of you...

There are 3 of us confirmed so far for Mull on Saturday 3 Sept, not sure about the Moidart ride - with @Pat "5mph" "swithering" about her involvement.

Me and Mrs Fu are staying the weekend on Mull whereas @ColinJ and @Pale Rider are catching the 07:45 ferry from Oban - plan is I will ride down to meet them from the ferry then ride clockwise around Mull, see Colin's previous route map. The weather will be delightful, I am sure.

Other than that normal CC rules apply - oh and it is mostly flat, some lumps, no real hills...

:biggrin:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The Mull ride is definitely on, assuming no ill health or injuries to scupper plans. Oh, and the ferries being cancelled would also be a showstopper, but that must be highly unlikely?

If the weather is really bad on the Saturday then perhaps we would choose to take the shortcut across the island.

There is an outside chance that my cousin might join us but I suspect it wouldn't be his kind of ride. He doesn't live far from Oban, but he is into racing and rides with a heart rate monitor and power meter, so I think pootling along at a touring speed would frustrate him. I'll remind him about the ride and see what he says.

Actually, I need to get in touch with him because he has his brother's bike in his garage and I am supposed to be borrowing it for the holiday to save having to haul mine up there. I want to double-check that it is my size and in good working order. If not, I may see how much it would cost to send mine up by courier.

I would still like to do the Moidart ride a few days later but might have a problem getting to the Corran ferry. My cousin just said "Och, just ride up there, do the loop, and ride back afterwards"! The actual loop is 127 km but I would end up doing well over 200 km for the day including the rides up and down the A828/A82 which is too much for me in September. I will see if my cousin fancies taking the day off work and driving us there and back. The other possibility is persuading one or more family members to drive there and take the car over on the ferry. They could drive round the loop, stopping off places to walk dogs and explore.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

... ferries being cancelled would also be a showstopper, but that must be highly unlikely?
Hmm, I took a look at the CalMac website today and one of their ferry services WAS cancelled due to rough seas! :whistle:

Not much we could do if that happened on the Saturday.

No, no, no - we will have calm seas and sunny skies! Probably ...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hmm, I took a look at the CalMac website today and one of their ferry services WAS cancelled due to rough seas! :whistle:

Not much we could do if that happened on the Saturday.

No, no, no - we will have calm seas and sunny skies! Probably ...

Another possible fly in the ointment is the 'limited bike spaces' on the ferry.

Looks like there will be maximum three of us crossing, which should surely be within the limit, but of course we don't know how many other cyclists will be wanting to travel.

There is another ferry an hour later which would still give us enough time on the island to do the ride, given there's always the Gruline-Salen short cut if we get tight for time.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

When I caught the ferry with Carrie a couple of years ago we just had to wait for the motor vehicles to board first and then went down to an area between two pillars where there were a few straps to tie bikes up with. There was plenty of space, but maybe there were not many straps? I will probably take a long bungee cord just in case.

I think we were the only cyclists that day.

Top Bottom