Pasta tuna and sweetcorn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Blackandblue said:
I am preposterously neat when I cook. It isn't at all efficient. I have little plates and cups and saucers with all of my constituent ingredients like I'm on some cookery programme (but not Nigella's, obviously).

I'm not that bad (good?) but I can at leass manage to pour/measure/chop stuff without spreading it all over the worktop.

Keith Oates

Janner
Arch said:
I'm not that bad (good?) but I can at leass manage to pour/measure/chop stuff without spreading it all over the worktop.

I usually manage to get some on the floor as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Fab Foodie said:
Yes, the joy of a baked potato comes from what you put on it... so eat that with something more interesting than a baked potato. It's a good sales job you've done on the Pasta tuna sweetcorn combo, but on consideration it's just serving to make the baked potato appealing...

I couldn't disagree more. The joy of a baked potato is a the combination of gloriously floury interior and salty, crispy skin. And the flavour of, er, potato. Butter enhances it, and it goes nicely with all kinds of fillings, but simplicity, not smothering it in gunk, is the way to brings out its best features. The classic sour cream and chives is a winner. And don't even mention microwaves...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Uncle Mort said:
...well I will! Microwaved bakers are an abomination unto the Lord. It changes the texture into something gluey and yucky. The best baked potatoes are done in an old biscuit tin with hole punched in it, in the embers of a wood fire. Saving that an oven will do :biggrin:

Oh alright then. Seeing as you mentioned them like that. When I had one, I did use it for softening butter in the winter.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Uncle Mort said:
...well I will! Microwaved bakers are an abomination unto the Lord. It changes the texture into something gluey and yucky. The best baked potatoes are done in an old biscuit tin with hole punched in it, in the embers of a wood fire. Saving that an oven will do :biggrin:

With you on this one Mort - Microwaved taters are only good for throwing as far as you can. Haven't tried the biscuit tin method mind - I'll give that a go next time I'm camping.......and have had enough beer to think it's a great idea :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
theclaud said:
I couldn't disagree more. The joy of a baked potato is a the combination of gloriously floury interior and salty, crispy skin. And the flavour of, er, potato. Butter enhances it, and it goes nicely with all kinds of fillings, but simplicity, not smothering it in gunk, is the way to brings out its best features. The classic sour cream and chives is a winner. And don't even mention microwaves...
Hi theclaud, I think you missed my point... that is, just eat the toppings and don't bother with the potato, or have the toppings with something more interesting. However baked pots are cooked I still find them mainly dull...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Fab Foodie said:
Hi theclaud, I think you missed my point... that is, just eat the toppings and don't bother with the potato, or have the toppings with something more interesting. However baked pots are cooked I still find them mainly dull...

Well that's just shocking. The point is that the potato is the point. I shall PM Shaun and insist that your username be changed to something more suitable!

All this reminds me of an ad I saw not long or so for one of those expensive glorified squash drinks - it said something like "for people who don't like water". What kind of Darwin award candidate doesn't like water, FFS?

NickM

Veteran
theclaud said:
When I had one, I did use it for softening butter in the winter.
Not much cop for that, in my experience. It creates a melted pool in the middle while leaving the outside well 'ard.

But very good for pre-ride porridge!

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Capers, that's what tuna mayo needs.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
NickM said:
Not much cop for that, in my experience. It creates a melted pool in the middle while leaving the outside well 'ard.

But very good for pre-ride porridge!

There's a window of .5 sec where it's just right, before the greasy pool effect kicks in. I'm a saucepans and spirtles kinda gal.

NickM

Veteran
Ah yes, capers... have brought a new lease of life to my tomato-based spaghetti sauce, evolved over 30 long years to its current pinnacle of near perfection :tongue:

I could live the rest of my life quite happily on this and spaghetti lunghi...

theclaud, if you like washing up that much I've got some you can come over and do...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
NickM said:
Ah yes, capers... have brought a new lease of life to my tomato-based spaghetti sauce, evolved over 30 long years to its current pinnacle of near perfection :tongue:

I could live the rest of my life quite happily on this and spaghetti lunghi...

theclaud, if you like washing up that much I've got some you can come over and do...

This thread is starting to show more culinary promise.

Soaking, Nick, is the thing with porridge pots. You don't want to be too eager when it comes to washing up...

Top Bottom