England : Derbyshire Peak District incl Holme Moss Saturday May 30: 0900 start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Having said I'm not going to organise a new ride after the Manchester - Llandudno one I got thinking about doing a full day, hilly ride in the Peak District as I know all the roads so there's almost no planning involved

It would be a tough day out; probably about 70 miles with about 6000+ ft of climbing. I'd look to fit in a couple of the really famous climbs like Holme Moss plus a load of little lanes that go up and down a lot but are only known to the local cyclists

It'll only suit those who feel comfortable with that sort of mileage and climbing. We'll wait at the top of the climbs for regrouping. My normal pace on a ride like that would be about 13mph plus stops

Idea would be meet up Glossop train station and return there. Chance for a few beers after the ride in a Glossop pub. Café stop somewhere on the ride.

Late enough start (say 10am) so non-locals could get to Glossop easily enough

Probably a Saturday in a month or so. If it piques your interest let me know and I'll firm up a date

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7718215

Screenshot (39).png

DATE FIXED - SATURDAY MAY 30
Expressions of Interest
@dan_bo
@doughnut
@DCLane
@I like Skol
@BRounsley
@Kestevan
@rich p
@Martin Archer

@skudupnorth
@YahudaMoon

Last edited:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Pencilled.

doughnut

Veteran
Yes put me down for this one. Bike should be fixed soon and I'll start practising in the hills, so hopefully I will last much longer than I did for Llandudno.

doughnut

Veteran
Cor blimey, that's a bit of a challenge actually. I will try to do 50 miles and 5000ft in the next week or so and see how I go. And I might drive over one day and do the first 20-30 miles of your route to see if I'm man enough :sweat:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've done that route the other way round but starting from Dewsbury and going through Holmfirth; if I'm available I'm interested. But, due to PBP qualifiers / racing / etc. it's a big if.
Hopefully you can make it. The reason I like it this way around is it gets to Holme Moss (obviously the hardest climb) early on and probably with a prevailing tailwind

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Cor blimey, that's a bit of a challenge actually. I will try to do 50 miles and 5000ft in the next week or so and see how I go. And I might drive over one day and do the first 20-30 miles of your route to see if I'm man enough :sweat:

Yep, it's not an easy ride. However, as is my style, there will be several "bail out" options so anyone not enjoying the terrain or the pace can cut short back to Glossop

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Sounds good and I have a couple of places I can stay buckshee in the area. Both my kids are due to add to the population boom in June though so I may be required elsewhere.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I am not sure about this hard man of the hills malarkey, that means doing some of that training thing, and looking at the profile you've put up, it's got enough hills in it to make Wiggins wince.

The hardest part of any ride, is telling the wife, so it all depends on the date you come up with as to if i can get out.

Top Bottom