England : Derbyshire Peak District incl Holme Moss Saturday May 30: 0900 start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I am not sure about this hard man of the hills malarkey, that means doing some of that training thing, and looking at the profile you've put up, it's got enough hills in it to make Wiggins wince.

The hardest part of any ride, is telling the wife, so it all depends on the date you come up with as to if i can get out.

I've tried to come up with a route that isn't too severe. Yes there's lots of climbing but I've intentionally avoided the really hard climbs. Holme Moss is the hardest but we do it the easier side, beginning of the ride and (hopefully) with a tailwind. Strines has a couple of short steep stingers. Other than that, we are talking about climbs <9%

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I will have to miss out on this one, i have to many things going on this month, but did sign up a month or so ago to the "Evans Ride it Peak District" ride on the 2nd August, so will get to see the peak district.

BRounsley

Über Member
I’m interested. I just need to work out the “lanes, trains & bicycles…that’s not two pillows” logistics.

How close are you coming to Manchester as I could just join you for part of the ride?

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I’m interested. I just need to work out the “lanes, trains & bicycles…that’s not two pillows” logistics.

How close are you coming to Manchester as I could just join you for part of the ride?

Not terribly close. You city centre urban yuppies could get a quick train out to Glossop (takes 30 minutes from Manchester)

BRounsley

Über Member
Not terribly close. You city centre urban yuppies could get a quick train out to Glossop (takes 30 minutes from Manchester)

I’m worried my “artisan brunch baguette” will dry out on the train and I don’t have a “travel bread humidor “ for such a situation!!!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Ooooooo really tempted - Although I'd probably meet you in Holmfirth and ride back from Glossop at the end. I'll have to see how the knee holds up.

I'd be tempted to skip the Dunford road climb out of Holmfirth though, it's busy and not overly pleasant. Turn right at the bottom and head up Rocher Road/Cemetery road/White Gate... much nicer ride and brings you out in the same place. :smile:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Ooooooo really tempted - Although I'd probably meet you in Holmfirth and ride back from Glossop at the end. I'll have to see how the knee holds up.

I'd be tempted to skip the Dunford road climb out of Holmfirth though, it's busy and not overly pleasant. Turn right at the bottom and head up Rocher Road/Cemetery road/White Gate... much nicer ride and brings you out in the same place. :smile:

The route's a work in progress so I'll modify it. When I do this route I do the Dunford Rd climb but if you locals know a better option then that's great.

Give it a whirl. We both know there is a decent bail out option if your knee is playing up. After Strines you could go directly back via the Snake to Glossop then you've got either Holme Moss or up Woodhead and back via Dunford Bridge. Having said that, Abney is a lovely climb if you don't know it and Maynestones Road is a favourite of mine

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I've done that route the other way round but starting from Dewsbury and going through Holmfirth; if I'm available I'm interested. But, due to PBP qualifiers / racing / etc. it's a big if.

Holmfirth was busy with cyclists on Monday, I winced at the inclines they were torturing themselves on as I drove slowly up to the picnic area at the top of Holme Moss.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Holmfirth was busy with cyclists on Monday, I winced at the inclines they were torturing themselves on as I drove slowly up to the picnic area at the top of Holme Moss.

Yebbut.....Holme Moss is by far the hardest climb on the ride....and we're doing the "easy" side....and we'll be fresh at the start.....and we should have a tailwind....and...and...and......OK, it's still hard

Top Bottom