People really will steal anything.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

perplexed

Guru
Not bike related, but we once had a bag of garden waste (hedge /plant trimmings, that sort of thing) taken from the garden where I'd left it ready for a trip to the tip that weekend.

And a neighbour once stole our wheelie bin, but I sorted that by taking it back. What he was thinking, I have no idea...

My wife once accidentally 'stole' the neighbour's blue recycling bin. I'd tidied the garage up sufficiently enough to enable our bins to live in there rather than on the drive. I got home first and put the recycling bin in the garage - she came home and dragged the neighbour's bin down the drive and left it outside and neither of us kinda noticed for a few days...

It was eventually repatriated...

rugby bloke

Veteran
Once when I was a passenger in car accident, we returned to the scene a few days later to take photos, measurements etc for the insurance claim. As the accident took place in a hidden dip on a country rode we placed a warming triangle a distance up the road and then watched dumbstruck as a car drove up, stop, picked up the triangle and then drove off !

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
In my student days, a flat I shared with some other guys was burgled. The only thing of mine that was taken was a pair of pyjamas. Sadly, my flatmates weren't quite so lucky.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
In my student days, a flat I shared with some other guys was burgled. The only thing of mine that was taken was a pair of pyjamas. Sadly, my flatmates weren't quite so lucky.

I lived in a student-ish digs many years ago, and one of the guys had been burgled - he thought because his stereo system was on a table backing on the window, so looked a tasty prize. What wasn't visible from the back was that the stereo had been in a fire and the front panels were all melted, and the knobs on the graphic equaliser had all be replaced with toothpaste tube tops. Thief rummaged around a bit and found a locked cupboard - he broke my mate's soldering iron levering open said cupboard to find the landlord's collection of tins of old paint gone hard.

Lonestar

Veteran
This is my best yet, the world never ceases to amaze me

Never really surprises me...it really is full of stupid people.Not accusing you of course but I almost did the same thing yesterday and thought I should take my helmet with me.I wouldn't be surprised though I've had bolted on lights ripped off more than once.

Wheelie bin went missing once but did manage to get it back eventually and then decided to put door numbers on all wheelie bins.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've posted this before, but I think it bears repetition...

A friend of my sister's was a massive Barry Manilow fan. She came back to her flat one day to find she'd been cleaned out, and I mean cleaned out. They'd taken everything in the flat, right down to curtains and teaspoons. But they'd taken a little care over one important matter - they must have gone through her chaotic record collection painstakingly: there, leaning up against the wall in a corner, in an otherwise totally barren flat, all her Barry Manilow LPs.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A story I was told from an engineering company - where it was more or less considered a perq to help your self to anything you could.

Anyhow, someone had pinched a roll of aluminium foil from the cupboard and was using it to wrap his sandwiches in.
The foreman wend mad with them as pinching stuff was getting out of hand - turned out it was special titanium foil at several hundred pounds a roll .

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
A story I was told from an engineering company - where it was more or less considered a perq to help your self to anything you could.

Anyhow, someone had pinched a roll of aluminium foil from the cupboard and was using it to wrap his sandwiches in.
The foreman wend mad with them as pinching stuff was getting out of hand - turned out it was special titanium foil at several hundred pounds a roll .
Friend of mine's dad was a director at what was then Rolls Royce down in Bristol. Got a very good deal on a bespoke fireplace from a local 'tradesman'. He smelled a rat when the guy arrived to deliver, and carried the entire (metal) fireplace up the garden path on his own. "Is that titanium?" he asked. The guy looked a bit sheepish. Turned out he worked in the shop at Rolls Royce and was selling bespoke stuff made out of nicked titanium all over the area.

Top Bottom