People trying to out 'special forces' each other on the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
Yeah, and that is in spite of ticking the box promising always to be truthful.

People should really read the T & C's before ticking that box....

Brains

Legendary Member
My stepfather was the real deal, British Army 1946-1976, except the last 9 years they were 'off grid'
He never spoke about it, I found out after reading a book as a teenager and a visit to the Imperial War Museum confirmed it as I found a picture of him in a display, complete with a 'pinkie' Landrover he drove back from Oman to Dover in 76.
When he died we found he had been awarded a gong that not even my Mother was aware of,

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
[QUOTE 3875599, member: 45"]I was in the SAS. 40 years, man and boy. Not allowed to tell anyone though.[/QUOTE]

Pfft! I was in 'The Nam', was a Navy Seal, was in the CIA working on secret and highly risky missions of which even now I cannot talk about, worked in Area 51 as a test pilot on captured alien spacecraft and as a 'Man in black', yet again, I cannot say anything, went into space myself several times, including on a highly hush hush mission where I single handedly saved the world and I have also visited the Moon and Mars. They are definitely overrated if you ask me!
Finally, I ended up a multi trillionaire with a special hotline to The White House and The Kremlin.

Yes, I really am American! :laugh:

Lewis survived 10 Para for a number of years, and really did pass selection for 23. The story I relate above is apparently true. Despite passing they wouldn't take him because he was too well.known.

And who is this this Lewis guy??

My dad played with bigger bombs than your dad! :laugh:

uxbs.jpg

(Those of you who have met me may notice how much I look like him. That's where the resemblance ends though ... Show me a big bomb, and I'll show you a clean pair of heels! :laugh:)

Inevitable joke, but, what one is him??

Isn't that the seat mochette from the APT?? :whistle:

I meet a fair amount of ex-military, never heard one of them brag.

Whilst I respect the military for what they do, I can't imagine why anyone would sign up to be, ultimately, cannon fodder. It also really bothers me that military recruitment does all it can to avoid the primary issue at hand - that you are signing your life into their hands for the greater good.

I saw army recruiting peeps in the High Street today.

I did have to wonder exactly how many people they get signing up out on the street, I mean, surely if you wanted to join, you would be doing it anyway, and therefore going to their office or similar (although they might get the occasional person who is going there at the time).
I can't imagine going down to Poundland or wherever and on seeing these guys suddenly think

'I know, I'll join the Army!!'

Seemingly it must work though.

I went for a poo tonight, I've not talked about it. I'm humble and unassuming. I'll take it to the grave.
Won't it be a bit dry and crumbly, if there's anything left of it, to go in the box with you?

But he didn't say who's grave he is going to take it too!!

Last edited:

graham56

Guru
[QUOTE 3876080, member: 76"]There is a Walt Hunting part of ARSSE, some of the people on it are just weird and a bit sad. One chap at a Rememberance Parade last year had more medals than a North Korean major general! They range from WW2, via Korea, Suez, GSM, Falklands, Iraq, Afghan and a couple of others such as several foreign army medals. Someone pointed out he is just missing the Iron Cross to make the complete set! Oh, and he had a SAS beret on!

medals_1537182c.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Nearly as many brag rags as you Maggers. hahaha

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Whilst I respect the military for what they do, I can't imagine why anyone would sign up to be, ultimately, cannon fodder. It also really bothers me that military recruitment does all it can to avoid the primary issue at hand - that you are signing your life into their hands for the greater good.
Have to say I've always had a wry (and predictably cynical) take on the fact that so many recruitment films centre on soldiers running around helping people. The 'primary issue', it's always seemed to me, is that you're signing up to a job where your job is, when push comes to shove, to kill people.

However unlikely it may seem, I too have the greatest respect for soldiers and other service people, and I recognise that they also endure things I couldn't to protect me from some really nasty people who would cheerfully do me and mine harm. But that doesn't change the fact that a soldier's fundamental role remains, as it has been since armies first came into existence, not to bring field hospitals to earthquake zones, but to kill.

I once worked with a guy who'd been in the SAS. Funny, he was a runt too. Now I think of it, maybe he wasn't telling the truth. Hmmm.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
[QUOTE 3876080, member: 76"]There is a Walt Hunting part of ARSSE, some of the people on it are just weird and a bit sad. One chap at a Rememberance Parade last year had more medals than a North Korean major general! They range from WW2, via Korea, Suez, GSM, Falklands, Iraq, Afghan and a couple of others such as several foreign army medals. Someone pointed out he is just missing the Iron Cross to make the complete set! Oh, and he had a SAS beret on!

medals_1537182c.jpg
[/QUOTE]
This 'see you next Tuesday' caught himself out, by wearing a Saudi 'liberation of Kuwait' gong, that was never officially permitted to be worn in public, plus the D.S.O. gong with palm (would have been mentioned in dispatches). Total bell end, would have been prosecuted under the 1955 law, that prohibited the wearing of honours / kit, not earned,
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1955/18/pdfs/ukpga_19550018_en.pdf

if it wasn't for the fact that that law was superceded by the 2006 version, 2 days before he pulled off this 'miracle'. He still got 300 hrs community service though. Massive tool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom