Perfect example of car-dependence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ha ha !

Grumpy indeed.
Yes. Your convenience selfishness must trump all mustn't it. An attitude worthy of the most stereotypical driver.

winjim

Smash the cistern
How about disabled people? Is it OK if they drive to the gym? Or those attending for rehab/physiotherapy?

Or even how about those who just fancy a chill-out in the spa, because there's surely no irony or hypocrisy there?

Clanghead

While waiting for an interview at a recruitment consultant on a nearby business park, I picked up a brochure extolling the virtues of the local new-build housing estate, which quoted one happy resident: "It's great - from where I live it's only one minute's drive to work".

A good friend of mine was complaining about not being able to find anywhere to park outside her Weight Watchers' class because of all the other cars... at the parish hall which is about 500 yards from her house.

:banghead: indeed.

Steve H

Large Member
This thread reminded me of this pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 60

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
It always baffles me why my neighbours drive to the allotment and then block the roads in there rather than park in the car park . I can get there in 7mins on the bike if I go the direct route and slow . They sit in traffic as soon as they get out of the drive way !
They then think they are healthy for growing weeds and being outside all day doing nothing and drinking beer :wacko:
Although I am guilty of the last part :thumbsup:

alans

black belt lounge lizard
I have neighbours who drive to the shops in the village High Street.
500 metres away:wacko:
It takes them longer;door to door; to get in the car,drive down the road,park up & then walk from the car to the shop than it takes me to ride there & be half way back.
These same people complain about the cost of running a vehicle & also express a desire to be more healthy/fit & wish to lose weight.
You couldn't make it up

I did point out to one of 'em that her car runs on money & makes her fat.My bike runs on fat & saves me money.
I'm not certain she grasped the comparison.

I'm quite surprised,& even more pleased & impressed,that my teenage grand daughter has recently taken to walking from (redacted) to home.Approx 5km.
Saves her bus fare (probably already spent it in town) & "beneficial for my my health".:wahhey:

This annoyed me so much. Someone close to us has a great primary school up the road. Like most parents in London (and probably up and down the country) school catchment areas is a major concern.

You've no problem, I said, its just a 5 minute walk, over the footbridge and to the school.
Nope, we're just out of the catchment area (0.51 > 0.5 miles)! Really, I though yo are much closer? We are but the catchment area is by driving and to get around the tube line its 0.01 miles over the 0.5 miles catchment area and are approx 0.25 miles on foot.
The sad part is they'd only walk, most likely hardly ever drive yet they're outside because it's based on getting there by car.

Ganymede

Veteran
This annoyed me so much. Someone close to us has a great primary school up the road. Like most parents in London (and probably up and down the country) school catchment areas is a major concern.

You've no problem, I said, its just a 5 minute walk, over the footbridge and to the school.
Nope, we're just out of the catchment area (0.51 > 0.5 miles)! Really, I though yo are much closer? We are but the catchment area is by driving and to get around the tube line its 0.01 miles over the 0.5 miles catchment area and are approx 0.25 miles on foot.
The sad part is they'd only walk, most likely hardly ever drive yet they're outside because it's based on getting there by car.
That's just disgusting.

Top Bottom