Perfect example of car-dependence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So there's not one single thing in your life that wasn't made possible by someone somewhere using a car/bus/truck?
What has that got to do with people driving to the gym in a single occupancy private car because it is convenient? Causing needless and completely avoidable pollution. Which kills people.

This thread is about car-dependency not bus/truck utility. This is a cycling forum, if folk want to be congratulated on placing their convenience over the health and welfare of others they might be better off seeking affirmation in a motoring forum.

Trickedem

Guru
A couple of weeks ago we stayed at the Comfort Hotel, Arundel. This is at the A27 Cross bush Services. We set out to walk into Arundel and discovered there is no way to enter or exit the site as a pedestrian without walking on the road. The sight lines on the road were such that we were at great danger of being knocked over by cars that probably wouldn't have expected to encounter us walking on THEIR road. It is ludicrous that this facility was allowed to be built without pedestrian access.

Reactions: _aD

winjim

Smash the cistern
[QUOTE 3146959, member: 45"]Your second paragraph is a choice. The first isn't, or is less so.[/QUOTE]
Yes but in the second example there is no conflict in using the car, because fitness is not the objective.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A couple of weeks ago we stayed at the Comfort Hotel, Arundel. This is at the A27 Cross bush Services. We set out to walk into Arundel and discovered there is no way to enter or exit the site as a pedestrian without walking on the road. The sight lines on the road were such that we were at great danger of being knocked over by cars that probably wouldn't have expected to encounter us walking on THEIR road. It is ludicrous that this facility was allowed to be built without pedestrian access.
Almost everything about, and associated with, that stretch of the A27, from east of Crossbush to Chichester, is a concrete indictment of what is wrong UK car culture.

Well, someone was grumbling about the TdF today and the associated road closures and rather temporary traffic disruption
At a suggestion of walking to the destination (and getting a bus back when services resume later), "It's SIX MILES - I'm not superhuman!"

Then I realised that for many people, a mile is a long distance, and a six miler is a whole day out punctuated by benches, sit-downs, picnics and cake shops

I was car dependant up until about 2008 when I did buy a bike again and gingerly start riding (having an evening "test" ride to see if I could make the then 2.8 miles to work). As part of a campaign to get more active, I walked to Tesco. A LONG walk - yep, it's a whole 1.4 miles away, a 3 mile round trip, and I felt like I'd achieved something my doing that.

So I know it's easy to fall into, and feeling like six miles as a walk with purpose (as opposed to a day out somewhere scenic) is insurmountable isn't that ridiculous to some (most?)

Kins

Über Member
I got rid of my car in 2012. I live in a rural town in Wales. Do I miss having a car, yes, about 3 or 4 times in 2 years. I have a mountain bike with panniers (which i got free from here!) and a little bar bag. Does me fine for shopping, carrying bits of bike to and from work, and genral bumbling about. Yes, it rains in Wales, a lot! But decent set of waterproofs and a nice wooly hat and it really doesn't matter. Snow and ice though is a pain, because everywhere round here is on a hill

Yes, I do get lifts in a car sometimes, and borrowed my Dads car on a few occasions.

Its all about life choices and making the best of them. None will be perfect or cost effective. Some situations because of family, parents living miles away etc will make you unable to use a bike or walk or use public transport all the time. But if more people just took an extra 10 minutes to get from local A to B by walking, cycling, skipping, skateboarding, running, swimming (really?) or bungy jumping (ok your getting ridiculous now!) then the world would be a better place.

/preachover /startthechoirsinging

Ern1e

Über Member
I also like @Kins got rid of the car ! have I really missed it ? well maybe on an odd occasion,I also use a mtb with panniers and some kind of bag any where I could put one for shopping etc.This has now been added to by use of a cargo trailer for larger items which may need to be moved, my thoughts on car dependancy ok they may fill a need if you have to travel excessive distances fast for some reason ! but I find trains and public transport quite acceptable these days.Plus at the moment around my area the road works are causing quite a hugh problem for vehicular traffic at times and it seems that the bike is the faster way from A to B.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
Mrs BC & I use a gym/ tennis club 11 miles from home. We drive, it's easier and much more comfy!

Top Bottom