Photography, new camera, can't decide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Crackle

Crax there really isn't much to choose between the comparison photos. The g3 deals with the highlights better but the colours are punchier on the Pentax.

It did on that one but on another the situation was reversed and the Pentax did much better at balancing the exposure between shadow and highlights. It all depends on how you've got things set I guess. I discovered with the Pentax that certain situations require spot metering and others an average. There are so many variables it's impossible to cover them, hence just going for an overall impression.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

i still use my K100d - with some lenses (notably the 10-17) it outperforms the K30... i put it down to being 'simpler'. the K30 tends to get the exposure wrong.

saying that, i used the K30 a lot yesterday and have started using the video more and it really is a versatile piece of kit, ezpecially for the price. plus, all the old Pentax lenses fit!
Have you got both Laurence?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

@Crackle the 100mm f/2.8 + the K30 is going to be a great combination.

Do you have a small child looking for their first camera? Keeping the G3 for a birthday present for them would be ideal.
I don't but too late. I already sold it to Phil_hg_uk on here. It's a lot of camera for 120 quid.

Have you got both Laurence?

i bought a K30 as my k200d was broken (the autofocus had been damaged when i dropped it). i did intend to give up using the k100d, but found that in some circumstances it was as good, if not better. the slower frame rate is a pain at times, but the simplicity of the k100d is a huge bonus. that sensor was amazing, 'only' 6Mp, but such clean images, really vibrant. with the 10-17 semi-fisheye on it works a treat. i usually take both out with me and use the tamron 90mm macro and 10-17 with the k100d. when i won two categories in the WWT competition a few years back, both were taken with the k100d.

the k30 had a few issues with focussing, but it a cracking bit of kit, especially as they are being sold cheap being obsolescent now. shame they didn't do it in orange for the UK market!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Ok folks. I watched a K30 go through and not sell for 339 with an 18-55 non weather resistant lens and emailed the seller before I bought the G3 to test the ground. Turns out he has a WR lens to go with the K30 (a blue one, my favourite colour) but I messaged him to say I'd bought the G3 now.

So G3 gone, I'm thinking of messaging him again to offer him 300 for the K30 plus 18-55 WR lens. Wot say you folk to such a deal? From my point of view I can afford that and it would only mean selling my current *ist D and 28-70 lens.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Spookily enough, Crackle, when I was researching cameras a while back, reading reviews, watching YouTube videos, I'd decided that a Pentax K30 would be the DSLR I'd buy, were I buying one. The fact I've got the Nikon on loan means I can avoid such a decision for now :-)

I found Doseone's comment above ("The g3 deals with the highlights better but the colours are punchier on the Pentax.") very useful. I wouldn't have picked that stuff up myself. But once I read it, I could see it.

Anyway, I had a go at a couple of comparison shots. Top one is G3, bottom one is 5100. Lens on the Panasonic was the 20mm, and on the Nikon it was the 18-55 (at 22m). ISO on both was 160, aperture 7.1 at 1/200th.

Converted both to JPEG and reduced the size so the files weren't so big. When working side by side I must admit the viewfinder is way nicer on the Nikon - but I still like the quick review you get in the EVF on the G3. It's very annoying that the little scale to show whether you're under or over exposed is the opposite way round on the Nikon to the Panasonic (or vice versa). And I found it easier to get to things like ISO and White Colour Balance on the G3. But all of these are minor things. It would be nice to keep both...One for when I need to travel light. And one for, well, other times. That said, not sure I can see much difference here:

Lumix G3 # 1.jpg
Nikon 5100 # 1.jpg

OP
OP
C

Crackle

My tuppenceth worth of observations.

The Nikon is sharper and has more detail, you can see it on the bricks by the bench. The focus on the Nikon is falling off quicker than the G3, you see that in the bricks on the house behind and the trees. This can be useful, google Bokeh, or it can be a pain. Useful if you want to photograph something and throw behind out of focus, a pain if the light is low and you need to keep everything in focus The G3 looks punchier but has more trouble distinguishing those leaves on the right of the bench, they are clearer on the Nikon. Likewise the Nikon seems a tadge clearer on detail in the darker areas. Not much in it though is there.

have you looked at both images at 100% in the software you use, that will tell you more.

I am happy with the K50

This is pretty much the same as the K30

One small point about poor weather though is that whilst the camera performs well, you can do nothing about rain / snow etc settling on the Lens

I took som photos to Gulfloss in March, in an almost blizzard
Those where the lens was sheltered are fine, but facing into the weather there is a lot of artifactual marking on the images

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
_1000109.jpg

Pentax *ist D, 200 iso, focus on ballons, convert from raw to tiff
IMGP1807.jpg

Talk about the grass is always greener, your neighbour's garden looks nice, what a shame you can't put in the same effort.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Spookily enough, Crackle, when I was researching cameras a while back, reading reviews, watching YouTube videos, I'd decided that a Pentax K30 would be the DSLR I'd buy, were I buying one. The fact I've got the Nikon on loan means I can avoid such a decision for now :-)

I found Doseone's comment above ("The g3 deals with the highlights better but the colours are punchier on the Pentax.") very useful. I wouldn't have picked that stuff up myself. But once I read it, I could see it.

Anyway, I had a go at a couple of comparison shots. Top one is G3, bottom one is 5100. Lens on the Panasonic was the 20mm, and on the Nikon it was the 18-55 (at 22m). ISO on both was 160, aperture 7.1 at 1/200th.

Converted both to JPEG and reduced the size so the files weren't so big. When working side by side I must admit the viewfinder is way nicer on the Nikon - but I still like the quick review you get in the EVF on the G3. It's very annoying that the little scale to show whether you're under or over exposed is the opposite way round on the Nikon to the Panasonic (or vice versa). And I found it easier to get to things like ISO and White Colour Balance on the G3. But all of these are minor things. It would be nice to keep both...One for when I need to travel light. And one for, well, other times. That said, not sure I can see much difference here:

View attachment 51577 View attachment 51578
As always with the Panasonics, it seems to render reds better, and has a little more contrast as opposed to the Nikon. Sharpening can be improved through Photoshop, a little. Nikon always handles tonal range a little better, but in this example, it appears to be a wee bit flat, but that can be in the processor , and can be changed in the camera, as can color balance. Still far better than most built-in lens cameras, even the higher end ones. My Sony Cybershot G is a good camera, and has their hiigher end lens, good features, and a fine processor, but in my opinion, the lens at longer focal lengths is simply not up to the performance of the rest of the camera. All camera have trade-offs. I always figure to get the camera that is right for you, pick one with weaknesses in the areas you use least, and strengths in the areas you use most.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I am happy with the K50

This is pretty much the same as the K30

One small point about poor weather though is that whilst the camera performs well, you can do nothing about rain / snow etc settling on the Lens

I took som photos to Gulfloss in March, in an almost blizzard
Those where the lens was sheltered are fine, but facing into the weather there is a lot of artifactual marking on the images
Yes, I can imagine that. The weatherproofing would be for those situations true but also about not worrying abou carrying the camera with me in bad weather. I always take one but when the weather turns it tends to get covered up and put somewhere safe.

byegad

Legendary Member
Several guys in the camera club I go to were discussing weatherproof cameras. One side was all in favour of buying gear you could use in the shower, the other side asked the question, how many decent quality photos will you get through rain?

I have a waterproof point and shoot which I hand around my neck when cycling, I've yet to take it in hand for a shot in rain or mist.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Several guys in the camera club I go to were discussing weatherproof cameras. One side was all in favour of buying gear you could use in the shower, the other side asked the question, how many decent quality photos will you get through rain?

I have a waterproof point and shoot which I hand around my neck when cycling, I've yet to take it in hand for a shot in rain or mist.
Oh yeah, I get all that but sometimes it's not about taking a wonderful picture but just capturing a moment. I've plenty of photos of me lurking in the mist of a mountain summit. When Olympus first introduced the original film Mju I bought one, still have it in the cupboard somewhere. I recall being astounded when a friend pulled it out in a horrible rainstorm on Blencathra and started taking pictures and then just blithely hung it around their neck for the rest of the walk. Actually, you know what, I might dig it back out.

This was taken in the worst blizzard I've personally ever seen in Snowdonia on an OM2 with a Makinon lens and Ektachrome. When I turned around everyone had gone and so had the path!
Snowdonia%2520sheep.jpg

byegad

Legendary Member
Then you need a waterproof camera! My Waterproof P&S was bought so it could survive a day under my outer layer without being ruined. I refuse to carry a better camera, and believe me I have several, on the bike for security and weight reasons, although IF I was doing a once in a lifetime ride I could well change my mind.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Oh yeah, I get all that but sometimes it's not about taking a wonderful picture but just capturing a moment. I've plenty of photos of me lurking in the mist of a mountain summit. When Olympus first introduced the original film Mju I bought one, still have it in the cupboard somewhere. I recall being astounded when a friend pulled it out in a horrible rainstorm on Blencathra and started taking pictures and then just blithely hung it around their neck for the rest of the walk. Actually, you know what, I might dig it back out.

This was taken in the worst blizzard I've personally ever seen in Snowdonia on an OM2 with a Makinon lens and Ektachrome. When I turned around everyone had gone and so had the path!
Snowdonia%2520sheep.jpg
Om-2-what a fine camera. I think I may still have one knocking about.

Top Bottom