Police overkill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
You don't have to be old to remember it operating as a nick.
Quite right :blush:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I think it's more likely there were a bunch of bobbys feeling bored who decided to go out on a trip. Boredom wouldn't be so much of a problem if they still went out on the beat.
Yawn; I'm bored!
Tell you what - put the few remaining cops in my local area out "on the beat" and see how long it takes them to get round the never ending list of calls they have to attend. Cars are used for one reason only; economics. Policing is now reactive rather than proactive. Learn to live with that because it's not going to change any time soon.
I don't like that any more than you do, but it's hardly the fault of those still doing the job.

JoshM

I take 999 calls for the ambulance service and have lost count of how many times the story I get told on the phone bares no relation to what has actually happened.

I'm sure the Police are the same. Who knows what the man told them was happening, and how can the police be sure of their safety, and the safety of the public unless they assume the worst and attend en masse. Let's face it if it had really kicked off, and you'd been hurt only to find the police had responded with 2 officers you'd be posting here saying they were too busy eating donuts to do their job properly.

Vidor06

Long term loafer
Many moons ago as a student in Belfast we hadn't a lot of cash so usually bought a carryout of cheap European lager to get the engine running. This was consumed in a park before heading to a bar/club. One damp evening we decided to play American football down the alley behind the offies. We were havin a whale of a time. That was until about 15-20 minutes later there was a screech of brakes and a lot of shouting. Police had sealed off both ends of the alley with cars and were over the bonnets with guns drawn screaming for us to not move. We did as we were told and the police cautiously approached. Turns out someone had heard the commotion of us playing American football and reported a potential breakin. With guns still at the ready they asked who we were and what we were up to.
At that point we all sobered up really quickly and rather sheepishly had to explain that we were playing drunk American football. Our American football was confiscated and we were sent on our way minus our beer and dignity.
Did the police overreact? It felt at the time like they had but in hindsight we really were idiots back then.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Guy sounds like a prick, and not necessarily a football fan.

I don't think he was a football fan! The pub was fairly quiet with about 10 other customers in, sat quietly watching some other match on the telly. I think he had something a bit wrong with him. A bit of a nervous disorder maybe? I don't think he was after a confrontation, i think something in his mind that he couldn't control made him act like that. On hindsight maybe the bouncers could have used a bit more tact and humoured him instead of ejecting him.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Police get called to a place, where there's been an allegation of violence. A place that has likely to have had violence in the past (based on serving in plastic instead of glass. This is often at the request of the police/licensing authority/council)

A place where there's a large crowd of drunken people, a place where there's likely to be a large crowd of people who just want to watch a game.

You expect just 1 or 2 to turn up to a situation that may end up involving several people?

How about, instead of blaming the police for "wasting time". How about blaming the drunken thugs who feel the need to kick off with a barmaid because their drink wasn't in a glass, and thus wasted police resources for a considerable amount of time.

Would you have complained if just 2 turned up and it turned into a fight with a couple of guys, couple of bouncers, and you got hit or pushed into something? Would that then be police fault as they didn't send enough?

"How about, instead of blaming the police for "wasting time". How about blaming the drunken thugs who feel the need to kick off with a barmaid because their drink wasn't in a glass"

He wasn't a thug though. Like i've said in the post above, i don't think he was "all there" as they say

AndyRM

XOXO
I don't think he was a football fan! The pub was fairly quiet with about 10 other customers in, sat quietly watching some other match on the telly. I think he had something a bit wrong with him. A bit of a nervous disorder maybe? I don't think he was after a confrontation, i think something in his mind that he couldn't control made him act like that. On hindsight maybe the bouncers could have used a bit more tact and humoured him instead of ejecting him.

Nope, but others seem to have. Football fans take a tedious slagging on these boards.

mick1836

Über Member
I was in a pub last night after the football match. In walks a bloke,orders a pint then looks at it. I't's in a plastic glass. I want a real glass! he says. Sorry but it's plastic glasses on match days, says the barmaid. The customer wasn't having it. He kept going on and on about this plastic glass. After about 5 minutes of this two big blokes(turned out to be doorstaff/bouncers) walk over to him and tell him to either shut up or drink up and leave. He started to put his point across to them. Like typical bouncers they were a bit heavy handed. When the customer insisted he wasn't leaving the bouncers physically ejected him. Nothing too heavy, just an arm up the back then forced through the door. About 5 minutes later the police turn up in one of those blue riot vans.then three burly coppers walk into the pub saying there's been an allegation of an assault. They took the bouncers outside to question them, also asking me and other customers what happened. I thought that might be it but 5 minutes later another van turns up with more coppers. I didn't go outside the pub but looking through the window i could see the police stood around doing not much. After watching the pub's cctv of the event and a good 45 minutes later the police left, satisfied that no one had been assaulted.
Five or 6 coppers, 45 minutes valuable time, all for some bloke's allegations of assault! The next time the police say they're understaffed i'll remember this incident!

And if the whole pub kicked off and only two officers were sent??? ANY incident involving the consumption of alcohol is dangerous. Police are in a no win situation.

AndyRM

XOXO
Yes i know. Boisterous maybe but i rarely see "thuggery" at football matches, or in pubs used by football fans these days. I think some posters maybe have memories of the 1970's and 80's and think football fans are still the same?

That, and calling it "wendyball"; an infuriating and demeaning term on more than one level.

Top Bottom