Porsche should be selling bumper cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is also no place in modern day society for such luddite views, but you appear to have them

May be lots of things but "luddite" it is not.

Yes, we have a number of rights that we hold dear and rightly defend.
BUT driving a car is not a right it is a privilege granted to us under licence. That licence is conditional. One such condition is that we observe the speed limit on the public highway which in the UK is the maximum of 70mph.
So then how can you argue that we should have a freedom to all have a car that does 140mph when such speed is double the allowed limit.
New car buyers seem to somehow want a car that does that speed. I have never bought a new car to have such choice. However in buying the car that does 140 it is forgotten that the car is less good at driving from 0-70 (it is a design compromise in various ways).

Also as one of a group who regularly has fellow cyclists killed and injured on the road, very often by speeding or aggressive drivers, there is the consideration that the freedom given to one person must restrict the freedom of others.
But then there are perhaps too many Clarkson types who rather like the US gun lobby wish to hide behind "freedom" and somehow justify their stance as somehow fitting in "modern day society"!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The handling is sensational. My wife is too scare to drive it.

Have a look at used prices, you might be surprised.

at the risk of being pedantic good handling generally means predictable and easy to drive, so rather at odds with scaryness

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I dream of owning a Trabant one day.
I've driven one. Not for use in modern UK traffic conditions.

As to owning one, I hope 5+ years of owning a 2CV and 3 years with a Cinquecento mean I've done my time.

Surly Big Dummies are better load luggers than either.

[QUOTE 4025538, member: 9609"]I don't like sport ? I didn't know that!
Yes I would ban other peoples hobbies that put my life at risk.
I see lots of second hand evos / scoobies being driven idiotically.
you have a 120bhp bike and never speed - yeh right - lol[/QUOTE]

So you propose banning all forms of Rallying? All forms of touring car, and GT racing? Ban Superbike, and supersport racing? This is where these high performance road cars originate.

I don't need to speed when I use it for commuting, I get plenty of speed enjoyment at Oulton Park on trackdays.

You see lots of sub £2000 cars being driven idiotically? Bit different when comparing to £70k+ performance cars.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but the problem here is the driver, not the car. An idiot in a corsa, will be an idiot in an evo.

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4025504, member: 9609"]providing you are taking it to brands hatch on a trailer then that is OK. The temptation to drive these cars fast on the public highway is far too great for many.[/QUOTE]

Surely your own car will break most speed limits, I know mine is supposed to do about 120mph, it has never been that fast with me in it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Where does your age cut off sit?
i wont go in a car with my dad ,he's 73 and has cateracts and thinks 5th gear is ok for all road speeds.
he has also masterd the skill of not using indicators and all the lanes on a roundabout as his to use as he chooses..other road users beware..he was a good driver but not anymore

so i guess 70 would be my cut off..you can always get out ..lol

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4025545, member: 9609"]or indeed how little you know of the subject, I think you have been taken in by all the 'i just want to drive fast' hype[/QUOTE]

I know a fair bit about cars, and there is certainly a difference in the braking performance of those two cars. I take it you have driven them both to get a comparison.

Tin Pot

Guru
at the risk of being pedantic good handling generally means predictable and easy to drive, so rather at odds with scaryness

Id say it's the accelerator and the cost of repairs that worry people.

We all love to support our positions with anecdotes, so...one of the school mums awoke last month to find a hatchback through the wall and in her living room. Her elderly neighbour opposite had got into her car, put her foot on the accelerator and reversed straight across two lanes of traffic and into the house.

It wasn't a supercar.

Also as one of a group who regularly has fellow cyclists killed and injured on the road, very often by speeding or aggressive drivers, there is the consideration that the freedom given to one person must restrict the freedom of others.
This. I rarely encounter supercars, . Speeding/aggressive drivers are more of a daily occurrence.
I've had more issues with disability scooters than supercars.

D

Deleted member 26715

So then how can you argue that we should have a freedom to all have a car that does 140mph when such speed is double the allowed limit.
Just because a car is capable of getting to 140mph doesn't mean it has to, by your theory my Giant Defy which cost £399 is about the only road bike that anyone needs, yet people are happy to spend £3k+ on their bikes, both if jumping a red light can be just as dangerous.

There seems to be a strange logic of some people that just because you have a car capable of going 140+ then it means you will, maybe that says more about the character of the poster that they don't have the self control required.

Levo-Lon

Guru
@User9609
just to shed some light on brakes..
my mate has a Carera2 twin turbo 196mph porsche..he had a 6k ceramic brake upgrade put on it.
he likes his cars and has had some superb cars.
the discs are enormouse..and this and huge tyres provide astonishing braking..your eyes feel like there going to come out of their sockets..
Performance brake pads are far better than the 40k milage O,E stuff but imagine telling an average car buyer it will need new pads every 2000 or 3000 miles..lol
you need to drive a car like this to understand ..his M5 is fabulous too.
if i compare my kia sport waggon to these ,there is no contest.

i can see you 80mph max point But its about so much more than balls out top speed.

Tin Pot

Guru
May be lots of things but "luddite" it is not.

Yes, we have a number of rights that we hold dear and rightly defend.
BUT driving a car is not a right it is a privilege granted to us under licence. That licence is conditional. One such condition is that we observe the speed limit on the public highway which in the UK is the maximum of 70mph.
New car buyers seem to somehow want a car that does that speed. I have never bought a new car to have such choice. However in buying the car that does 140 it is forgotten that the car is less good at driving from 0-70 (it is a design compromise in various ways).

But then there are perhaps too many Clarkson types who rather like the US gun lobby wish to hide behind "freedom" and somehow justify their stance as somehow fitting in "modern day society"!

I used to think like that.

Since then I've met people who buy cars, none of them have talked about the top speed.

You could install electronic limiters, but I've since come to realise people need the freedom to break the law. It might sound crazy, but it's true. Even if I never speed, fight, steal, slander or whatever, I need to know that I can.

Imposing control on the population for things they might never do doesn't really work.

However, I do share your desire for less death, less injury and less car usage.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Where does your age cut off sit?
Compulsory resists and eye tests every five years from fifth anniversary of passing test. Fail three retests on the trot, or any three in a five year period, compulsory driver training and a more stringent test. Test fee to be around £500 a throw. 3rd party insurance to be provided via levy on fuel. Mandatory seizure and crushing of vehicle for serious motoring offences, specific national road traffic police funded by camera revenue and fuel levy; avg speed and the usual kind, mounted on most street furniture. Simple tracking technology installed in all private vehicles; gps log shows you broke the law direct debit collects the fine. Disable the tracking technology; vehicle confiscated and a community service order placed on the operator. &c.

yes. I'd declare war on poor driving. It kills more people in UK than ISIS ever will.

Top Bottom