Porsche should be selling bumper cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Here's something I found...

"The 2011 Kia Rio had the highest rate of death, with 149 fatalities expected per million registrations. The Nissan Versasedan had 130 fatalities per million registered and the Hyundai Accent had 120 fatalities per million registered. They were the deadliest cars in the study.

On the safest end of the spectrum, nine models had a death rate of zero: the Audi A4 4WD, the Honda Odyssey, the Kia Sorento 2WD, Lexus RX 350 4WD, Mercedes-Benz GL-Class 4WD, Subaru Legacy 4WD, Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4WD,Toyota Sequoia 4WD, and Volvo XC90 4WD."
Larger heavily built luxury cars offering better levels of occupant protection to small lightly built cars? Whodathunk it.

Would the safer models be any less safe for their occupants if they were limited to 80mph?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So, do Ferraris, Lambos, Porches etc have a disproportionate number of death attributed to them?
Should such motor vehicles have specific speed limits assigned to them?

Larger heavily built luxury cars offering better levels of occupant protection to small lightly built cars? Whodathunk it.

Would the safer models be any less safe for their occupants if they were limited to 80mph?
So are you saying that they should stop making cheap cars as they're not as safe on our roads?

Tin Pot

Guru
jumping a red light is not an attribute of the vehicle but a piece of behaviour form the driver.

the bhp and aerodynamics required to do 140mph is an attribute of the vehicle. Why does a private road car need that attribute? You want to race it. Fine. Tow to the track on a trailer.

I'd argue, but my side have already won - we can all own and drive fast cars.

<blows raspberry>

well fast cars cost a lot more to insure. There could be a clue there
Do they? I have a 335 BMW - not porsche speeds but sub 6s 0-60, but my insurance in only £300 a year. Far far less than the 1.3 Peugeot I had when I was 25.

I just wonder what correlation that might have?

Tin Pot

Guru
well fast cars cost a lot more to insure. There could be a clue there

That's all about the cost of parts, not the cost of death.

[QUOTE 4025730, member: 45"]It doesn't, because you're not 25 any more.[/QUOTE]
Tell me about it!

Anyway, so my powerful (ish) car is very cheap to insure and I supposedly am a much less risk than a 25yo on a cheap slow car. It also turns out that cheap cars are more dangerous as they have less safety features. I've also found no stats showing suopercars have higher proprtion of collisions that other cars.

It would appear then that the size of the engine is negligible (if at all) in the risk of injuries and other factors play a larger role.

No, it's about a whole host of factors. Engine size not being one of them. So why is this thread supporting banning large engines when it has no correlation to death?

jumping a red light is not an attribute of the vehicle but a piece of behaviour form the driver.

the bhp and aerodynamics required to do 140mph is an attribute of the vehicle. Why does a private road car need that attribute? You want to race it. Fine. Tow to the track on a trailer.

the aerodynamics to do 140mph, filter down into road cars to also allow them to do 60mpg

Top Bottom