Resting Heart Rate 105bpm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazy

i went for a gym induction and my instructed measured my pulse,it was coming up as 105, 106, 107.
he said i have to see my doctor.

went to see my doctor he send me for some blood tests and asked me to avoid exercise for 2 week until the result comes back, he said i look healthy, i feel healthy and do cycle 20 plus miles a day. i am only 30.

its scary

RWright

Guru
That is scary. Be careful with it. Good luck getting it sorted, hopefully quickly.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
You've done the right thing seeing the doc.
I thought this was going to be a "is this normal, should I see the doc" type post.
Don't worry they'll sort it, you'll be back on your bike soon enough.
The elephant in the room.............why were you going to a gym when you own a bike:biggrin:

PK99

Legendary Member
i went for a gym induction and my instructed measured my pulse,it was coming up as 105, 106, 107.

went to see my doctor he send me for some blood tests and asked me to avoid exercise for 2 week until the result comes back, he said i look healthy, i feel healthy and do cycle 20 plus miles a day. i am only 30.

its scary

Some people (me included) show a marked " white coat effect" ie show elevated pulse and blood pressure when tested by the doctor (... Or at the gym?) People prone to anxiety are more likely to show the effect.

Do you know if your blood pressure was also elevated?

So, the result may not be a real worry, wait for the test results.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
+1 for white coat syndrome.

With me it was my dad winding me up. He had a blood pressure meter he used to use on himself. Every so often he'd have a go at me and my brother about us being unhealthy. After 1/2 an hour of this he'd get his blood pressure meter out and say. "If you haven't got a problem lets check you then". A further 1/2 hour he'd got us to the point were we were unhealthy. Thus vindicated he'd go on and on until we'd had enough and went to the pub to get away from his bl**dy meter. ........ Until we went round next time.

Hope this is the same with you. How was the guy at the gym? If you HR was going up it could, hopefully, be stress related. What was it at Dr's? And had you cycled there?

DWiggy

Über Member
Got a smartphone? download the heart rate app chill out on the sofa and test yourself (finger over the camera usually) and see if its lower (or take pulse old skool), you might just have white-coat syndrome like others have said, but do as doc has instructed?

Hope its nothing!

maltloaf

I think tesco sell cheap pulse monitors. Worth an investment if you don't have one elsewhere (I have on various Garmin devices).

My resting heart rate is around 60 ish and I'm 41/fat but do 100+ miles a week

Ajay

Veteran
Resting heart rate should be tested first thing in the morning as soon as you wake up, once you're up and about you're not resting. Also, take it over a few days to get an average. Sure, your 105 figure sounds high and you should see the doc, but the gym result may be influenced by lots of other things in your day - it's not your resting heart rate.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
a 'normal' resting range is 60-90, CV fitter bods often less than 60.

I guess it depends a bit on how you cycle - sporty & for fitness or to get there whenever without a bead of sweat on your back and what other lifestyle factors come into play - food, booze etc.

Fingers crossed that it is a bug or a blip or aversion to having your pulse taken & that the Docs is a precaution only.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions

its scary
How did you get to the gym? Elevated HR would be expected if you'd walked from the car, up some stairs, perhaps pushed a few heavy doors open...

Gym instructor should be sacked for being an idiot, yet a thorough idiot! One X on a PARQ = doctor visit

Top Bottom