"Road Tax"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

killiekosmos

Veteran
I came across this on the "What Do they Know" web-site. It is a partial response from DVLA to a request from someone to know how they spent his Road Tax.

"I can advise, that Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) makes an important contribution to general taxation revenues. VED is an annual tax payment on the licence that each vehicle requires to run on the public road network. These roads are paid for through general taxation. The current structure of VED, which is arranged according to vehicle type and registration date, was set by successive Governments.

General taxation is the means by which the Government, by Parliament's consent, funds the needs that our nation places on the state. The state provides for things like universal healthcare, education, the defence of the realm and transport infrastructure. The Government funds these services on a daily needs basis from the Consolidated Fund, which is the central pool of the nation's financial resources. Devoting specific sources of revenue to specific public service spending is an inefficient way for the state to manage its finances.

There has been no direct relationship between VED and road expenditure since 1937. Since then, all sources of revenue have contributed to funding a whole range of Government spending under the Treasury's management of the Consolidated Fund. In this way, resources can be applied efficiently and flexibly according to public expenditure priorities. The responsibility for expenditure on Motorways and Trunk Roads lies with the Highways Agency in England, devolved administrations in Scotland and Wales, and for all other roads responsibility lies with the relevant local authority.

This might be useful to quote in any You don't pay Road Tax debates.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
OR you could just send them to this website http://ipayroadtax.com/

yello

there is never any such thing as a debate once the " you don't pay road tax" card is played and anyone that plays it won't be willing to listen.

True enough. There are times when you don't waste you time on lost causes and simply ride away.

In all walks of life, there are people who are simply wrong but will not listen to reason. They invariably work in a government office ;)

yello

or you could jump in first and shout something equally irrelevant... I pay council tax

I like that line of thinking.

If confronted with the 'I pay road tax' argument, one could respond with something completely nonsensical like 'Have you a recipe for bakewell tart?' or 'Did you know that the Jerusalem Artichoke is not actually an artichoke at all but a member of the sunflower family?'

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I like that line of thinking.

If confronted with the 'I pay road tax' argument, one could respond with something completely nonsensical like 'Have you a recipe for bakewell tart?' or 'Did you know that the Jerusalem Artichoke is not actually an artichoke at all but a member of the sunflower family?'

now that I'm going to try to remember!

Top Bottom