"Road Tax"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
Call it road tax or road fund licence it's just a tax that needs to be paid by car \ vehicle owners.

Most on this forum are cyclists AND drivers and therefore pay road tax.

aberal

Guru
Call it road tax or road fund licence it's just a tax that needs to be paid by car \ vehicle owners.

Most on this forum are cyclists AND drivers and therefore pay road tax.

...and therefore pay Vehicle Exise Duty AND Income Tax AND Council Tax but NOT Road Tax. There is no such thing.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
...and therefore pay Vehicle Exise Duty AND Income Tax AND Council Tax but NOT Road Tax. There is no such thing.

Call it Road Tax, Road Fund License or Vehicle Excise Duty - It comes to the same thing, you have to pay it to run a car \ vehicle. The name of the tax has changed over the years for political reasons but the principle remains the same.

Norm

I think that BC's point is that is indeed the crux and blowing off about the name is a distraction which labels people as irrelevant pedants and fails to address the crucial point.

siadwell

Guru
I think that BC's point is that is indeed the crux and blowing off about the name is a distraction which labels people as irrelevant pedants and fails to address the crucial point.

Call it VED or call it car tax, but not RFL or road tax.

According to government data (http://carfueldata.d...y-ved-band.aspx), there are currently 71 models of car available in the UK which are in VED bands A*.

Drivers of these vehicles pay no VED, but I doubt they'll ever be told that they don't belong on the road because they don't pay "road tax".

* A further 745 models in bands B,C and D are zero-rated in the first year.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
Drivers of these vehicles pay no VED, but I doubt they'll ever be told that they don't belong on the road because they don't pay "road tax".

I think such views are held by a very small loud minority of motorists.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I think such views are held by a very small loud minority of motorists.

Must be very small indeed, as I've never met one. Nor one who thinks that owners of classic cars shouldn't be allowed on the road.

Which makes it very strange indeed that so many still believe it to be the case w.r.t cyclists

dawesome

Must be very small indeed, as I've never met one. Nor one who thinks that owners of classic cars shouldn't be allowed on the road.

Which makes it very strange indeed that so many still believe it to be the case w.r.t cyclists

Precisely. "Road Tax" confers ownership so cyclists are seen as intruders by quite a large number of people, see newspaper comments, speak to work colleagues or letters in the press.

Take Mr Angry Pink Shirt upthread,
I don't imagine he screeches to a halt and screams "You don't pay road tax!" at the 300,000+ other road users exempt from VED, like classic cars, cars belonging to the disabled, steam engines, mowers, electric vehicles, Fiat 500, Peugeot 207, ambulances, fire engines and Her Majesty The Queen? Or maybe he does.

aberal

Guru
Call it Road Tax, Road Fund License or Vehicle Excise Duty - It comes to the same thing, you have to pay it to run a car \ vehicle. The name of the tax has changed over the years for political reasons but the principle remains the same.

Well, duh!

You seem to have misunderstood the whole point of this thread.

Top Bottom