"Road Tax"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
^^^This

or, reply "I know and it's feckin awesome" whilst grinning.

Pointless conversation deserves an equally pointless reply.

And exactly the point that people need to understand is that theres no MOT on bicycles for the simple reason that theres less to go wrong, and when it does it isnt going to usually kill people. Even an unsafe bike can be stopped if the brakes die by putting shoes down, or jamming a shoe in the tyre of the rear wheel..

Bikes could save people so much money. Everyone who has sat down and worked out how much they save (like my Brother did when he went over to fairweather cycling) must surely hear the whingers and think "what the hell have you been drinking?"
:biggrin:

Bigsharn

Veteran
On topic, but slightly on a tangent. Ebay uses the term "Road Tax" on their motors section and listings. Anyone have a complaints address that isn't in America that we can bombard?

jonesy

Guru
It doesn't matter if Ebay calls it "Road tax", the argument is pointless because the distinction isn't of the slightest interest to people who want to hate cyclists.

aberal

Guru
It doesn't matter if Ebay calls it "Road tax", the argument is pointless because the distinction isn't of the slightest interest to people who want to hate cyclists.

There are those who will no doubt hate cyclists whatever logic is thrown at them - but the distinction isn't pointless. Their argument is that cyclists should be allowed on the road because cyclists don't pay for the upkeep of roads, through road tax. Whereas cyclists do pay for it, via income tax and council tax. It's a matter of education, that's all.

jonesy

Guru
There are those who will no doubt hate cyclists whatever logic is thrown at them - but the distinction isn't pointless. Their argument is that cyclists should be allowed on the road because cyclists don't pay for the upkeep of roads, through road tax. Whereas cyclists do pay for it, via income tax and council tax. It's a matter of education, that's all.

This presupposes that those who use that argument have arrived at it though some sort of process of reasoning that is amenable to change when presented with better information. Alas, I fear it is simply something people say to express their general contempt. They don't actually care about the definition of tax, what they object to is a) the fact that we are cyclists and b) we don't pay the things they have pay, irrespective of what those things are called or their purposes. Getting into an argument about the definition of a tax, or citing other taxes that we do pay, is simply a pedants' argument.

aberal

Guru
This presupposes that those who use that argument have arrived at it though some sort of process of reasoning that is amenable to change when presented with better information. Alas, I fear it is simply something people say to express their general contempt. They don't actually care about the definition of tax, what they object to is a) the fact that we are cyclists and b) we don't pay the things they have pay, irrespective of what those things are called or their purposes. Getting into an argument about the definition of a tax, or citing other taxes that we do pay, is simply a pedants' argument.

I don't disagree with what you say (highlighted in bold). I disagree with it being a pedants argument. The more people who are aware of the subtle differences the better. I have been in such arguments over cyclists and road tax payments with friends of mine who like to pretend that they are "just joking" about it - but in reality are betraying deep rooted antagonisms. The last such argument I had was a good several months ago when I was personally unaware that "road tax" didn't exist. Through this forum I now know better. I'm looking forward to my next argument with them on the subject. Thus we shall disseminate knowledge, and educate.
rolleyes.gif

Norm

It doesn't matter what it's called though. Motorists have to pay a tax before their vehicles are licenced to drive on public roads - so road tax would be a sensible name for it.

The errors are that it is used to fund the roads and that it confers no priority entitlement. Or the Fiat 500 Twinair (zero rated) would be relegated onto the pavements with the cyclists and every other road user would have to give way to 44 tonne artics (who pay nearly £2k).

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The errors are that it is used to fund the roads and that it confers no priority entitlement.

It doesn't directly fund the roads.

Top Bottom