Saturday, 11th May. Conder Green from Todmorden (100 miles) or Whalley (100 km)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Be great to see you on another ride, Thomas (@Starchivore). Hope you are keeping well.

I'm doing good thanks, hope you are too! Well done to you for tackling the hundred on your own. Jubilee tower and the roads around Quernmore, Dunsop Bridge and Glasson Dock are familiar to me from being at uni in Lancaster, it's good riding but "testing" to say the least with some of those climbs.... Looks like the weather was nice for it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It was a triple colin, but without big enough cogs on the back. A nice bike, my old dale, but i very rarely got it into top gear.
Ah, yes - a triple PLUS big/biggish sprockets. I had 26 front/28 back on that bike. I put a triple on my Cannondale road bike and ALSO a bigger cassette - I have a 28/30 gear on that bike now. I sometimes wish that I'd gone for 26/30 for 25% ramps, but 26/30 is low enough for most climbs and I have got up 25% on it so I don't actually need a lower gear.

I have a 48/12 top gear, which is lower than it used to be (53/12) but it isn't often that I miss being able to pedal at > 35 mph. If I am going that fast then it is down a steep(ish) hill and I can just freewheel.

Forgot to say, it didn't have a small enough small ring on the front either :smile: smallest was 32 I think. Biggest on back maybe 25. Took me a few years to figure out why i struggled so much compared to some others to get up some of the pig climbs in the north downs. Physics never my strong subject.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Okay, let's try again! :okay:

The ride is now due to take place on Saturday, 11th May. I have updated the first post to reflect the new date. All other details as before.

Littgull will join me from Todmorden. I'll trawl back through the thread and tag anyone who expressed interest. Paging @Domus, @Blue Hills, @nickAKA, @Pale Rider, @MontyVeda, @Julia9054, @Starchivore.

Anyone who likes the sound of the ride - post below!

Domus

Guru
Sorry Colin, will be snoozing on the train back from South Wales after the Friday night ride to Barry.

It seems we are destined never to ride together. :cry:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Damn! I have a gig and it's the other side of York so i wouldn't get back in time.
I knew when i agreed to play that the date rang a bell . . .
Aargh!

Sorry Colin, will be snoozing on the train back from South Wales after the Friday night ride to Barry.

It seems we are destined never to ride together. :cry:
Hopefully, this one will not be postponed again, but you never know ... :whistle: (Obviously, I won't ride when ill/injured, and I would not ride 161 km/100 miles in thunderstorms or strong winds either!)

If either of you fancy a ride from Clitheroe to Burnsall and back, check out this year's Dales (and Ribble Valley) ride - HERE. I will organise a long ride in Cheshire in the summer (100+ kms from Dunham, 161+ kms/100+ miles from Walkden) and another imperial century ride from York to the Humber Bridge and back. There will be others too.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
No bookings for the 11th so I'm up for it.

I'll be taking a slightly different route and aim to set off around 12.50pm...

route.fw.png

...so flat Google didn't bother plotting the gradient graph :rolleyes:

doughnut

Veteran
Just noticed this Colin - did this one with you a couple of years ago. Its a great ride. I'm back cycling again now but unfortunately cant make it on 11th May - I'm riding down the Danube for a week with my wife. Back home again on 16th I think and on the Picaddily-Llandudno ride - might see you then if you are on that one.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Just noticed this Colin - did this one with you a couple of years ago. Its a great ride. I'm back cycling again now but unfortunately cant make it on 11th May - I'm riding down the Danube for a week with my wife. Back home again on 16th I think and on the Picaddily-Llandudno ride - might see you then if you are on that one.

Riding down the side of the Danube I meant :smile:
Danube ride - nice!

Good to hear that you are back on the bike after your failed attempt to demolish the ground with yourself and your hang glider ... :laugh:

I am going to be doing the first half of the Llandudno ride this time (and probably in future years too). I will ride to Eureka with y'all and after that turn round and ride back to Walkden for a quick, cheap and direct train home. It saves me quite a lot of money and will mean I can get home about 4 hours earlier than from Llandudno so I will only be out for 12 hours rather than a rather long 16. It also means that I can avoid playing 'dodge the Saturday night drunks' in Manchester!

Top Bottom