• June

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • July

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • August

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
What made you think it's in March?
AFAIK it's June 27th. That's what it says in the thread title and the poll you mention was to vote for June, July or August. June won.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Sorry - I meant June.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Planning thoughts at present:
Stops
  1. Shop stop at Goole 26 miles to regroup and buy snacks and drinks
  2. Cafe stop at Barton upon Humber (just before bridge crossing) 62 miles for a proper sit down and feed
  3. Potential cafe stop at Beechwood Services 83 miles if people are flagging, dehydrated
Pace and Navigation
Hope to keep the group together on the whole but its no doubt liable to fracture at times. Would be good to know who will have GPS and would be willing to take a turn for a few miles as a Tail End Charlie to ensure no one gets lost. I'm not doing ride notes but I will ensure we regroup at major points.

If anyone is planning to do this as a first century (I think it is a really good one to do) you are very welcome. If you are worried about the distance and your ability to complete please let me know (by PM if you wish). I plan to make it a socially paced ride not a fast one. If some wish to go faster I could make use of you to mark junctions at times and then you could race to catch up.

Technical
The main thing is to have a well maintained bike and then problems are rare. I'm sure most do not need to hear this but I'll say it anyway - please check your tyres and make sure they are at the correct pressure. Everyone should be self sufficient with at least punctures or riding with someone who is. Bring a spare tube or two (even if you are tubeless this might be useful). I'll be carrying a spare 700 cc tyre. If your bikes needs fancy tools for something please don't expect someone else to be carrying it for you just on the off chance. Also, you can't have enough cable ties!

Safety
  1. Helmets. Wear one or don't. I do not care either way
  2. Insects in the face at speed are not pleasant and in the eyes are potentially dangerous. I suggest eye protection
  3. Please ride courteously. It will be a mixed ability group and some will be more able than others
  4. Make your own decisions about traffic/road conditions. DO NOT RELY on someone else to tell you the road is clear
  5. I will be carrying some limited first aid kit
  6. If you have a particular medical condition (asthma, epilepsy, etc) please let me know. It will remain confidential
  7. If you need medication please make sure you have sufficient
  8. It might be hot and sunny (please!). Long rides can dehydrate. Drink before you are thirsty
  9. Have a fully charged mobile phone. I'll give my number out at the start of the ride
  10. I will need an emergency contact number for everyone on the ride. I'll get them from you at the start.
Disclaimer
I am organizing a route for consenting adults who can ride bikes and I take no responsibility for the actions of others we may encounter. The route is on open roads. You are ultimately responsible for your own safety. Please ride within the law at all times. If you don't have third party insurance that is your choice. If you are involved in an accident, whether your fault or not, others can and do claim against you. This may not be a fellow cyclist on the ride.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Eyup MAC. Where do you intend to stop in Goole? There's a Morrisons and a Tesco on Boothferry Rd. before you go over the railway. Would it be one of those?
I had intended to lurk outside the Vikings but it may be better to meet you at your stopping point.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Eyup MAC. Where do you intend to stop in Goole? There's a Morrisons and a Tesco on Boothferry Rd. before you go over the railway. Would it be one of those?
I had intended to lurk outside the Vikings but it may be better to meet you at your stopping point.
Boothsferry Rd -Edinburgh St by the pedestrianized way and shops. I hope just 15-20 mins. PM me your number and I can text you when we arrive if you wish

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Leave sorted- moved the week off I had forward, so I can now travel up on Friday- mates ready and willing with the accommodation, and train tickets booked.
In :smile:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
@EasyPeez did you get sorted with train tickets? This week in the Hull Mail if you collect 2 tokens you can get a Northern Rail day rover ticket for £12.00 (iirc), valid any day upto 28th June :okay:

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
After a CC forum ride at the weekend I am revising my ETA back at York. I envisage as a group we'll get back sometime between 19:00hrs and midnight! Those needing to get back more quickly will need their own GPS/local knowledge towards the end. :okay:

*Edit*. A few people have contacted me to express concern re the late return time and suggested it put them off the ride a little. This was meant as a funny, throwaway comment and should not be taken too seriously. I hope to be all back by 21:00hrs.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sorry, I'm definitely not in. I'm not really "out" as I was never really "in" but I thought I'd let you know.

Have fun.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Less than a month to go now.

Can I please ask everyone who is coming to PM me their CC handle, real name, mobile number and emergency contact number. Much obliged.

I am getting the train to York on Saturday AM. I am not sure if I'll stay over after the ride and make my way back to Manchester on Sunday. Anyone else staying?

Top Bottom