Shocking CCTV of a cyclist being pushed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazed

220lb+
Anytime I've stuck my fingers up at someone I'm prepared for the potential sh*t afterwards.

His actions obviously weren't justified but what is she expecting, in a dump like Whitechapel, sticking her fingers up at someone.

Anytime I've stuck my fingers up at someone I'm prepared for the potential sh*t afterwards.

His actions obviously weren't justified but what is she expecting, in a dump like Whitechapel, sticking her fingers up at someone.
Her voice is so mild when she rebukes him, that I doubt she is making an obscene gesture. I could easily imagine it being a forefinger raised as a non verbal request for him to halt. It's really impossible to tell.

Of course, he could step forward and give his side of the story, if he likes....

Hip Priest

Veteran
Of course she has. Nice victim blaming there.

'Victim blaming' is just a phrase used to shut down free discussion. Disgusting as the assailant's actions were, I have no idea why the rider felt the need to open a dialogue with him in the first place. She was the aggressor, he just escalated it to an insane degree.

Her voice is so mild when she rebukes him, that I doubt she is making an obscene gesture. I could easily imagine it being a forefinger raised as a non verbal request for him to halt. It's really impossible to tell.
Ok, I've had another watch/listen.

He steps right in front of her as if she wasn't there. She says "Please don't knock me off" He comes back with "Shut up, you <garble>**" I reckon her finger goes up then, in the classic American style. He chases her, knocks her down and abuses her.
I think it's a matter of opinion who started it. Personally, I'm on her side. But if I was going to give the finger to someone I thought was going to knock me down, I'd make sure I had a getaway route available.

** I can guess what the garbled word was.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Was she the aggressor? It could be that he was crossing the road as she was approaching and came too close to her bike, when she said 'please don't push me off'. That's all we know. How does that make her the aggressor?

Because he was just crossing the road and she accused him of trying to push her off. If she'd said 'excuse me' or 'look out' it'd have been understandable.

The bloke obviously has a very sensitive ego and took umbrage at a snooty woman telling him off for something he hadn't done.

Because he was just crossing the road and she accused him of trying to push her off. If she'd said 'excuse me' or 'look out' it'd have been understandable.

The bloke obviously has a very sensitive ego and took umbrage at a snooty woman telling him off for something he hadn't done.
I don't think most people would push over a cyclist, even if they were angry. She thought he was going to push her over, and then he did push her over. Makes the original fear justified, if you ask me.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I don't think most people would push over a cyclist, even if they were angry. She thought he was going to push her over, and then he did push her over. Makes the original fear justified, if you ask me.

Of course most people wouldn't push a cyclist over. It's inexcusable. Where have I suggested otherwise?

Hip Priest

Veteran
She didn't

She prefixed her request with 'please'.

I'm glad I don't live in a city where that's seen as being aggressive.

GC

I think the please was sarcastic. If someone was trying to cross the road why would you say "please don't try and knock me off?" and then give them the finger unless you were initiating a confrontation?

Of course most people wouldn't push a cyclist over. It's inexcusable. Where have I suggested otherwise?
Sorry, you misunderstood me. I wasn't accusing you!

You felt her accusation was uncalled for. I am thinking one can't really read body language from a video like this. She felt he was inclined to knock her down. Then he did knock her down. That - to me - makes the original "accusation" not a random, unjustified statement, but was her correctly reading his intentions.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Looks to me like common assault. The bloke is a violent dick and whatever the provocation (in this case it was the meekest and mildest, IF it even was a provocation, which imo it wasn't) his action isn't justified.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire

We don't know how close he actually came. The bike wobbles to the left (away from the pedestrian) as she starts to talk. It is said in a calm voice, preceded by 'please'. I don't see how that can be regarded as aggressive in any way.

Top Bottom