Shocking CCTV of a cyclist being pushed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Sorry, you misunderstood me. I wasn't accusing you!

My bad.

You felt her accusation was uncalled for. I am thinking you can't really read body language from a video like this. She felt he was inclined to knock her down. Then he did knock her down. That - to me - makes the original "accusation" not a random, unjustified statement, but was her correctly reading his intentions.

I don't how she saw that coming. The only possible suggestion I can think of is that something has occurred off camera, or he has motioned aggressively towards her on a previous occasion.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm also wondering about the three month delay in broadcasting this in the search for witnesses; is this a common delay for the Met?

GC

I think the please was sarcastic. If someone was trying to cross the road why would you say "please don't try and knock me off?" and then give them the finger unless you were initiating a confrontation?

I use my voice as a **siren. What I say depends on how long I have to formulate a response. If it is a car pulling out suddenly it tends to be "jesus farking christ" (old Catholic background catches up in moments of extremis). If it's a pedestrian who hasn't seen me, it's most likely to be an angry "Look out!", followed by apology/thanks/explanation as appropriate once evasive action has been completed. I don't think you can hold her to account over her choice of words, or call it sarcasm.

And as I said above, I'm sure the finger is raised after he told her to shut up, and used middle english.

**I don't need an airzound, my voice is loud enough to cox an eight over the sound of a coaches launch without amplification.

Hip Priest

Veteran
We don't know how close he actually came. The bike wobbles to the left (away from the pedestrian) as she starts to talk. It is said in a calm voice, preceded by 'please'. I don't see how that can be regarded as aggressive in any way.

To use an analogy, if a car passed me closely, and I said "please don't try to kill me", I wouldn't be making a polite request, I'd be sarcastically critiquing his driving,

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
To use an analogy, if a car passed me closely, and I said "please don't try to kill me", I wouldn't be making a polite request, I'd be sarcastically critiquing his driving,
The tone didn't sound sarcastic to me. And sarcasm isn't agreesion.

In any case, I think we are agreed that whatever she said, even if she subsequently gave him the finger as a result of him swearing at her, there is no possible justification for what he did. I don't see any point in discussing exactly what happened further as we've got as much as we can (you, me and others on this thread) from the video.

discominer

4 x 4 gives me a very close pass, revving hard. I give the two fingers to show I know the urban myth about Agincourt. He stops, gets out, stops me passing on the right, blocking traffic. I try to go round, saying nothing, he behaves exactly like the thug in the vid. My fault?

Hip Priest

Veteran
4 x 4 gives me a very close pass, revving hard. I give the two fingers to show I know the urban myth about Agincourt. He stops, gets out, stops me passing on the right, blocking traffic. I try to go round, saying nothing, he behaves exactly like the thug in the vid. My fault?

Not really a fair analogy. The pedestrian is the more vulnerable road user in the OP, whereas you're the vulnerable road user in your incident.

Davidsw8

Not sure where I got this wrong but I thought that if I'm cycling along and there's no stop line, red light, or other crossing, any pedestrians wanting to cross have to look and wait for it to be safe to cross, i.e. they let me pass before crossing. When did this change?

Lonestar

Veteran
Not sure where I got this wrong but I thought that if I'm cycling along and there's no stop line, red light, or other crossing, any pedestrians wanting to cross have to look and wait for it to be safe to cross, i.e. they let me pass before crossing. When did this change?

A long time ago in the Cannon Street area.

Top Bottom