Shocking CCTV of a cyclist being pushed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
Ooh yes. Can I go with "is deeply remorseful and has turned his life around since the incident and is now actively seeking work."

What has his employment status got to do with the price of bread?

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
a) Yes he crossed the road on a red light (it is a pedestrian crossing). Bad man.
b) In the video you can clearly see him starting the cross the road WITH HIS HANDS IN HIS POCKETS. He was nearly half way across the road at the time of the altercation. Even though he is in the wrong she could have cycled more defensively - slowed to accommodate him and maybe even gone round the back rather than cut across the front of him.
c) There was absolutely no need for her to say what she did. Maybe he took his hands out of his pockets quickly thinking she was going to cycle into him and was naturally trying to "defend" from injury and she mistook this for him attempting to push her off. Who knows, but when I listened to the video when I got home I thought her tone was slightly confrontational/condescending.
e) If she did give him the finger she should have made sure she could pedal faster than he could run. Also if you've already decided that someone is a potential threat why the hell would you antagonise them further?!

He was 100% in the wrong to do what he did, but she didn't exactly behave impeccably herself. If that's victim blaming so be it.

What's next? Don't make eye contact with anyone? Don't talk to yourself in case someone thinks you're having a go? Or maybe we should just give up, get in a car and drive everywhere?

Has anyone considered that "the finger" may have been the cyclist putting her hand out to indicate a left turn, and Mr. Shortfuse took it the wrong way? The number of people on here saying "Yeah, it's his fault but she's not exactly blameless" is incredible.

Plax

Guru
What's next? Don't make eye contact with anyone? Don't talk to yourself in case someone thinks you're having a go? Or maybe we should just give up, get in a car and drive everywhere?

Has anyone considered that "the finger" may have been the cyclist putting her hand out to indicate a left turn, and Mr. Shortfuse took it the wrong way? The number of people on here saying "Yeah, it's his fault but she's not exactly blameless" is incredible.

Incredible but true.
EDIT - don't think getting in a car and driving everywhere is any better. A tosser is a tosser is a tosser, doesn't matter what mode of transport they use or interact with.
EDIT 2 - I'm not calling the cyclist a tosser in case you're about to get a stick up your bum about that.

Hip Priest

Veteran
People like to throw emotive terms around. She was not to blame for the assault. Nobody is saying she is. But like it or not, the world is full of hair-trigger idiots like this guy and if you go round telling people off you'll eventually find one of them.

cd365

Guru
People like to throw emotive terms around. She was not to blame for the assault. Nobody is saying she is. But like it or not, the world is full of hair-trigger idiots like this guy and if you go round telling people off you'll eventually find one of them.
So cyclists should ride around meekly just in case there is an idiot out there?
This "trial by internet" thing I am really starting to like, you do something illegal like assault, drive with undue care & consideration etc. and you should be prepared, in this selfie world now, for someone to be filming. Maybe the more it happens the more people will think twice. The c0ck in this video assaulted a woman and is now receiving threats, poetic justice I think. If someone ran up to him now, pushed him over and shouted "come on then" would he be so brave? Somehow I doubt it!

J1888

Über Member
Because that's the sort of drivel I regularly hear trotted out in Court as mitigation for similar acts.

To me, it sounds like you're saying that people who are unemployed are more likely to commit such violent acts, which of course would be complete nonsense.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
To me, it sounds like you're saying that people who are unemployed are more likely to commit such violent acts, which of course would be complete nonsense.
I read it as it says - that he hears that excuse brought out in court as a way of trying to mitigate a sentence. Nothing more or less. He didn't say he thought or implied that. Whether or not the defense lawyers/magistrates believe it is a different matter, but not one that can be addressed here.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Mitigation at court is inevitably samey, so you do hear the same phrases over and over again.

I recall a multi-handed case of street violence in which the barristers had a 'cliche sweep' in the robing room beforehand.

Among the phrase in the hat (wig) were:

A moment of madness, he's turned the corner, he is remorseful, his family are standing by him, he is determined to stop taking drugs/come of the drink, he is looking for work, he is volunteering for a charity.

Top Bottom