Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rafferty

I can't decide whether or not I should clean it.
Finished at last!.PNG

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I can't decide whether or not I should clean it.
View attachment 91686

"I were right about that saddle though."

What is it? Was a canal involved? I hope you enjoy a challenge!

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I got some new steel today:hyper:

Cross posted from my alcohol and ebay thread....... I got a beautiful and pretty unique looking Simoncini Super Record in Columbus SLX, which apart from a few paint chips and tiny rust spots is in great condition for what must be nearly 30 years old. Not got the original fork, just a alu one covered with pretend carbon, it also came fitted with a Campagnolo Chorus headset and Campagnolo bottom bracket, as it should.
p1020142-large-jpg.91823.jpg

p1020143-large-jpg.91824.jpg

But the magic has only just begun......the seller met me at York station and had brought along some other stuff that he wanted to get rid of, and next out the back of the car was this lovely Brian Rourke.Again a few very small spots of rust but its LOVELY!
p1020149-large-jpg.91827.jpg
I was instantly smitten with it, those forks, drool:becool:. The paint has a lovely sparkle not shown in this picture. It has no tubing listed but is lighter than the Simoncini. it has a sticker on saying its been renovated by Bob Jackson. It has 130mm rear spacing (as does the Simoncini) so not 'that' old (unless they been reset). Does anyone know the Rourke stamping system? @totallyfixed perhaps as I know he has a lovely Rourke. The bb shell is stamped with E and 1 near the non drive side of the bb and has the number 3572 across the middle.If anyone has any clues as to what that means in terms of age I've love to know.

The seller was in a hurry to be off to a friends surprise birthday party, so we struck a deal for the 'extras' and hurriedly decanted a box of parts into my ruksak and a carrier bag. I then returned to London, carrying it all on the tube across town where I've just properly checked the bag. Mostly all Campagnolo, no Record or any of the super shiny stuff, but I was stlll a bit stunned at the bounty
p1020139-large-jpg.91834.jpg

Highlights, a nice new Chorus 10 speed cranks and RD for the Simoncini, 3 pairs of Look pedals, loads of Campag chainrings, I'm set for spares for years! Shifters mostly Mirage but the Daytona ones or the silver Veloce levers will go on for now but may be upgraded later. I just need wheels (silver campag hopefully) ,brakes (campag skeleton) handlebars (panto cinelli) and saddle and the Simoncini is as good as rolling. I can't wait. Not sure what to do with the Rourke yet, I was thinking of 105 groupset in black but on reflection think it will look better with Silver Campag too, which I now seem to have plenty of^_^. The cost of both frames and all the kit, £340, which I think is a massive win and I can't wait to get them both up and running. Drunken eBay = winning on this occassion.

Time to sink a few celebratory beers and hit ebay for the missing bits, what the worst that could happen.......

Gatters

really like that Rourke frame too, the other was painted by a colour blind buffoon :smile:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
P1020151 (Large).JPG
P1020152 (Large).JPG
P1020153 (Large).JPG
Here you go @fossyant , I don't now if these are Campag Looks or just standard, I suspect the latter. I've never used Look pedals before but am going to get some cleats and try them out. And thanks for the replies about identifying the Brian Rourke, I'll contact them this week, I don't mind paying a small fee to find out a bit more about the history. I'll try the same with the Simoncini but as my Italian is non existant that will have to be through google translate.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I got some new steel today:hyper:

Cross posted from my alcohol and ebay thread....... I got a beautiful and pretty unique looking Simoncini Super Record in Columbus SLX, which apart from a few paint chips and tiny rust spots is in great condition for what must be nearly 30 years old. Not got the original fork, just a alu one covered with pretend carbon, it also came fitted with a Campagnolo Chorus headset and Campagnolo bottom bracket, as it should.
p1020142-large-jpg.91823.jpg

p1020143-large-jpg.91824.jpg

But the magic has only just begun......the seller met me at York station and had brought along some other stuff that he wanted to get rid of, and next out the back of the car was this lovely Brian Rourke.Again a few very small spots of rust but its LOVELY!
p1020149-large-jpg.91827.jpg
I was instantly smitten with it, those forks, drool:becool:. The paint has a lovely sparkle not shown in this picture. It has no tubing listed but is lighter than the Simoncini. it has a sticker on saying its been renovated by Bob Jackson. It has 130mm rear spacing (as does the Simoncini) so not 'that' old (unless they been reset). Does anyone know the Rourke stamping system? @totallyfixed perhaps as I know he has a lovely Rourke. The bb shell is stamped with E and 1 near the non drive side of the bb and has the number 3572 across the middle.If anyone has any clues as to what that means in terms of age I've love to know.

The seller was in a hurry to be off to a friends surprise birthday party, so we struck a deal for the 'extras' and hurriedly decanted a box of parts into my ruksak and a carrier bag. I then returned to London, carrying it all on the tube across town where I've just properly checked the bag. Mostly all Campagnolo, no Record or any of the super shiny stuff, but I was stlll a bit stunned at the bounty
p1020139-large-jpg.91834.jpg

Highlights, a nice new Chorus 10 speed cranks and RD for the Simoncini, 3 pairs of Look pedals, loads of Campag chainrings, I'm set for spares for years! Shifters mostly Mirage but the Daytona ones or the silver Veloce levers will go on for now but may be upgraded later. I just need wheels (silver campag hopefully) ,brakes (campag skeleton) handlebars (panto cinelli) and saddle and the Simoncini is as good as rolling. I can't wait. Not sure what to do with the Rourke yet, I was thinking of 105 groupset in black but on reflection think it will look better with Silver Campag too, which I now seem to have plenty of^_^. The cost of both frames and all the kit, £340, which I think is a massive win and I can't wait to get them both up and running. Drunken eBay = winning on this occassion.

Time to sink a few celebratory beers and hit ebay for the missing bits, what the worst that could happen.......

love that Simo

Top Bottom