Sky TdF team...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hont

Guru
Anyone else half hoping Froome breaks a collar-bone just to see Sky flap around with no plan B? :evil:
:evil:

beardy01

well what is there to say, maybe this thread did get a little "silly" according to some but i think the general view was that many people wanted to see wiggins and froome in the tdf to see how they would both react to each other but also if something happened to froome sky would be left with no one with a chance to win the tdf or at least push the other gc riders and look what has happened............. froome got his way with team selection and ooops

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Anyone who thinks Sky didn't have a Plan B, or that Wiggo is the only other weapon in Sky's arsenal, can't have been watching properly today. Nibali aside, look where all the supposed GC contenders finished on today's stage, and look at the overall standings. Porte is in a strong position.

To put a positive spin on the situation, this has to be seen as a good opportunity for Porte to show what he can do. Don't forget he was supposed to be team leader at the Giro until he got ill. Evidence of today's stage is that he's over that. It will be a real test of his temperament and ability to handle the pressure of being team leader, but I'm inclined to trust Brailsford's judgment on that - he doesn't have a bad track record in the sport.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/t...969845675?nk=5d4040e52e6ad1fed97b8ef569c9b5cb

suzeworld

Veteran
Ironically, just reading BW's second autobiography (my time) and the bit where he says Sky had learnt their lesson about needing a second string in case the main GC contender gets smashed up in Le Tour.

ERM ...... Shome mishtake there then.

In his own words in his own book he makes much of his times spent supporting other riders, his willingness to do that in a variety of contexts....So, I don't see why he couldn't be allowed to bring his formidable fire-power and experience to this year's contest, in support of Froome
!

Probably bad form to quote yourself, but it surely was a mistake?

So, is Porte really a more viable second fiddle than Wiggo?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Wiggins would have been like Bambi yesterday.

There is life beyond the British riders in Team Sky, just in case you all missed it. Only 2 of the 9 riders starting the Tour were British. I think there is a bit of "colonialism" sneaking into the thinking re Sky and people see "johnny foreigner" as being there only to support the Brits in their drive to show the world who is top dog. And it's going wrong.

I have said on another thread or maybe even this one that I reckon the Sky project will not be a lasting one, but it will be one that has a lasting impact. Whether that is for the good is yet to be seen.

Buddfox

Veteran
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Porte is a more viable plan B than Wiggo - and I think he proved that yesterday. He also deserves the chance, given his historical contribution to the team. My sympathy for Wiggo plummeted after the Tour of Switzerland.

Top Bottom