Smart Hat designer bemused by critical response

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I would wager that the designer hails from the "I know what is best for you lot school of design" Helmets have been around for enough years now for to have evolved into the best shape, function that cyclists need.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think the reason cyclists have reacted negatively to Toby Kings design is because he's a twat.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
"I don't know why some people think that drivers will suddenly respect cyclists if they need to register their bikes. Motorcycles require license plates, and insurance, and all the rest of it, but in my experience motorcyclists get about as much respect as cyclists do. Maybe next time someone tries to run me off the road I’ll hold a driver’s license and motor vehicle registration up to their window. I’m sure they’ll apologize profusely and back off."

(BikeSnob NYC)

winjim

Smash the cistern
King rarely cycles himself in Sydney. He says it’s too dangerous, and that he “honestly prefers vehicles”, but said the device could be a way to encourage people like himself to feel safer on the road.
My bold.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Hmm.

In a distant land, nothing has happened.

I mean...

"'For Ye shall Not make effigies of Cycling registration!'
And so the Velominati smote him with forum posts and increased market visibility" CycleChat Chp. 9, v. 23

Unfortunately something has happened, he presented this to his local council who didn't fall about laughing and point out the numerous errors, oversights, dangers and all round godawfulness of it, in a country that pioneered the wonderful notion of helmet compulsion. There is a chance this level of stupid isn't going to go quite so easily as others before it have as our Toby appears to be convinced of his own genius and moral obligation to protect us undeserving bicycle riders from our own lack of vision and understanding of his grand plan for our safety, so may not be going quietly back into the shadows from whence he has emerged.

But maybe he will, here's hoping.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
it's also a little-known fact that Australians love rules / compulsion / banning stuff. For example, in NSW it's illegal to install a toilet in your own house unless your a registered plumber. Speaking about this, with some astonishment, to a mate, he earnestly replied "oh, that's really important as you can cause Cholera". My recollection was that a toilet had one 12mm pipe and one 100mm pipe and muddling them up was unlikely, and if you got anything else wrong then shyte leaking into the house would encourage you to fix it.

Also, I recall a letter to the paper, co-incidentally also from the Sydney suburb of Mosman calling for "banning this deadly craze" - referring to roller blading. Basically they love banning anything "other" people do

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Unfortunately something has happened, he presented this to his local council who didn't fall about laughing and point out the numerous errors, oversights, dangers and all round godawfulness of it, in a country that pioneered the wonderful notion of helmet compulsion. There is a chance this level of stupid isn't going to go quite so easily as others before it have as our Toby appears to be convinced of his own genius and moral obligation to protect us undeserving bicycle riders from our own lack of vision and understanding of his grand plan for our safety, so may not be going quietly back into the shadows from whence he has emerged.

But maybe he will, here's hoping.

That is a truly frightening thought, that people are taking him seriosuly.

Seems to me that this helmet arises from the need to victim blame rather than genuine desire to improve road safety. Given that pedestrians tend to be the larger group involved in accidents surely the logical thing to do would be to make them wear a number plate first. Say printed on the back of their coat or T shirt? The concerning thing as others have pointed out is stupid ideas like this tend to catch on with stupid people and there are alot of them out there unfortunately.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think this is going to continue to be a subject that goes on and on forever. These numpties won't be happy until they win where helmets and registration is concerned. What will they do when they get they're way, and still cyclists are killed. Will they then campaign to get us off the road altogether?

Top Bottom