Smart Hat designer bemused by critical response

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Nothing, look at Australia.
Home of the designer of the helmet.

"It’s getting a lot of interest, and far more than I ever thought it would generate,” said King.
Not exactly for the reason he was hoping for though.

I'm actually starting to come around to idea of some of the helmet features. Can I have another one included please Mr.King?
I want the ultrasonic sensor linked to a radio that automatically broadcasts a message to car radios telling drivers to 'fark OFF' when they get too close.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not exactly for the reason he was hoping for though.

I'm actually starting to come around to idea of some of the helmet features. Can I have another one included please Mr.King?
I want the ultrasonic sensor linked to a radio that automatically broadcasts a message to car radios telling drivers to 'fark OFF' when they get too close.
Plus 2 'Tinnie holders' each side. (with straws.:cheers:)

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Unfortunately something has happened, he presented this to his local council who didn't fall about laughing and point out the numerous errors, oversights, dangers and all round godawfulness of it, in a country that pioneered the wonderful notion of helmet compulsion. There is a chance this level of stupid isn't going to go quite so easily as others before it have as our Toby appears to be convinced of his own genius and moral obligation to protect us undeserving bicycle riders from our own lack of vision and understanding of his grand plan for our safety, so may not be going quietly back into the shadows from whence he has emerged.

But maybe he will, here's hoping.
Same council are now seeking to put as much distance between them and the designer as is possible. Given that they initially backed the idea.

Tin Pot

Guru
Unfortunately something has happened, he presented this to his local council who didn't fall about laughing and point out the numerous errors, oversights, dangers and all round godawfulness of it, in a country that pioneered the wonderful notion of helmet compulsion. There is a chance this level of stupid isn't going to go quite so easily as others before it have as our Toby appears to be convinced of his own genius and moral obligation to protect us undeserving bicycle riders from our own lack of vision and understanding of his grand plan for our safety, so may not be going quietly back into the shadows from whence he has emerged.

But maybe he will, here's hoping.

And Lo the Effigy-Maker revealed his obscenity unto the Unwisemen. CC ChpY v.X

Nothing. Of. Importance. Happened.

Tin Pot

Guru
I think the reason cyclists have reacted negatively to Toby Kings design is because he's a twat.

I think the reason people have overreacted to Toby King's design is because they are emotionally insecure and/or unable to assign appropriate relative importance to the things they hear and see.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I think the reason people have overreacted to Toby King's design is because they are emotionally insecure and/or unable to assign appropriate relative importance to the things they hear and see.
I'd say its because the design of the helmet, internally as well, is to allow registration of cyclists through an as yet untested helmet design. One that was built not, nor designed, with the safety of the cyclist in mind. That is the secondary purpose of this particular helmet.
In order for the helmet itself to function, as intended, you have to supply the smartphone. Which one is still being worked on.
HUD's in a car has come in for a bit of stick as a distraction for the driver of the vehicle. Here we have a helmet with one that has the same built into it. Where's the difference?
Give you something else to see as your riding along!

Drago

Legendary Member

Perhaps you should be forced to wear one and then see how much relative importance you place upon it.

Alex H

Legendary Member
Comment; :rofl:

"daveonarush 8 hours ago
The proximity warning of the Smart Hat, SHat, if you will, would be ideal when a grain truck is bearing down on you in a pinch point caused by a traffic island on a road that has a 70kph limit a square curb preventing escape with no cycle lane or alternate route option. Might just give me time to make that last call on my integrated smart phone."

Origamist

Legendary Member

Or it could just be a shitty concept and design that would not even make it onto Dragons' Den. It's perfect discussion fodder for cycling fora though. Carry on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom