Smashed into a stationary car and broke off wing mirror. Ouch,ouch,ouch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Step, yes. Leap, much less commonly.

Most of us here are very experienced cyclists who know how to stay out of other people's accidents, but that doesn't change the fact that pedestrians can and do cause collisions.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
I've willingly conceded the fault issue in the case of the OP. It's not about fault, it's about proportion, property, and the fitness of things for their purpose. Cars are clearly not designed to be suitable for mixing it in busy public spaces.
tudles old girl, surely it's a good thing that at least part of a car's perimeter is a fragile item vulnerable to costly consequences when driving too close to cyclists.

Your Bentley's rear-view Riedels ought to be specified on all cars. :thumbsup:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
tudles old girl, surely it's a good thing that at least part of a car's perimeter is a fragile item vulnerable to costly consequences when driving too close to cyclists.

Your Bentley's rear-view Riedels ought to be specified on all cars. :thumbsup:

Ah, Foggers! There you are. Fragile is fine by me. Expensiveness does not appear, at least on casual observation, to produce better driver behaviour. I am not arguing for tougher cars - I am suggesting that their owners ought to either adopt a less precious approach to minor damage, or keep them somewhere where they won't come into contact with other people.

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
I've been cycling for over 40 yeRs and this is the first collision with a car I have had. I am now a member of B C. It was my fault. I have paid up. Wing mirrors are expensive. I have no idea why it happened. I don't hate all motorists.

Herne Hill was a blast.

KneesUp

Guru
Nobody has yet addressed the question of why they don't make it easy/cheap to replace the bit that breaks. Like gear hangers. Or fuses.

Evans - to give one example - sells a gear hanger that is £60. For a tiny bit of funny shaped metal with no moving parts.

There are a few of those in a mirror, as well as motors in some, heaters, wiring, a few types of precision moulded plastic and a temperature sensor in others. As well as a precision cut piece of mirror.

If they were priced like gear hangers they'd be about a grand.

Tim Hall

Evans - to give one example - sells a gear hanger that is £60. For a tiny bit of funny shaped metal with no moving parts.

There are a few of those in a mirror, as well as motors in some, heaters, wiring, a few types of precision moulded plastic and a temperature sensor in others. As well as a precision cut piece of mirror.

If they were priced like gear hangers they'd be about a grand.
Drifting slightly OT: The Girl bought a bike from Evans. Some time later she spanged the gear hanger, so I went to the shop to get a new one. The young feller me lad behind the counter informed me that a spare would have been shipped with the bike, tucked in that natty green folder full of important documents that no one reads.

400bhp

Guru
The mirror is £280.

Some peeps have a strange idea of what is expensive.

Lots of people's cycling tops are more than that.

The mirrors on my previous car were £600 each.

Replace car with cyclist and a bike part was hit. Many bike parts are "expensive".

Peeps have lots of stuff hanging off them that's "expensive", be that an item of clothing, a camcorder, mobile phone or whatever. If someone caused damage to one of them then generally you'd expect to be put right.

It's called living in a capitalist society. Whether we like it or not, private posessions are in some ways "public goods".

Last edited:
Reactions: 4F

KneesUp

Guru
The mirror is £280.

Some peeps have a strange idea of what is expensive.

Lots of people's cycling tops are more than that.

The mirrors on my previous car were £600 each.

My previous whole car was £700. I went crazy with this one and spent as much as two of your mirrors :smile:

Price, cost and value are strange concepts!

screenman

Legendary Member
My previous whole car was £700. I went crazy with this one and spent as much as two of your mirrors :smile:

Price, cost and value are strange concepts!
So does that make you smarter? I am yet to meet a honest person who would not like a better car.

Top Bottom