Smashed into a stationary car and broke off wing mirror. Ouch,ouch,ouch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
How many cyclists would accept Aldi/Lidl cycle clothing as replacements for their old Rapha clothing after all the cheaper new alternative does the same job as the more expensive stuff.
If I'd left my expensive rapha cloting lying around at the side of the road or in a public car park I'd be very surprised if whoever drove over it even stopped to pick it up, never mind offered me anything towards its replacement

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The only reason the car manufacturers don't do the same is that the cost is covered by insurance

If the cost is covered by insurance than the only people who have a grievance are the uninsured.

vernon

If I'd left my expensive rapha cloting lying around at the side of the road or in a public car park I'd be very surprised if whoever drove over it even stopped to pick it up, never mind offered me anything towards its replacement

If you were wearing the old expensive Rapha clothing that was damaged as a result a collision with a car, would you accept cheap Lidle/Aldi cycling wear as a replacement - after all it does the same job as the Rapha stuff?

screenman

Legendary Member
There's nothing intrinsic in the design of a component used for rear view purposes that means it has to cost £400 every time it gets knocked off the car it's attached to. Even if it's heated and electrically controlled, there's no excuse not to make the bit which actually breaks cheap. I have an expensive derailleur mech attached to my expensive frame by a cheap replacable hanger, for exactly the reason that an easily foreseeable and common accident would otherwise result in an expensive repair.

The only reason the car manufacturers don't do the same is that the cost is covered by insurance

Total rubbish, car manufacturers do not take into account what the insurers will pay, the insurers do though take into account how much a car may cost to repair. The majority of vehicles on the UK roads do not have fully comp insurance as you may know it , only about 1/3 even have glass cover.

Lets face it a door mirror is not an item that gets knocked off of your car (if you even own one) everyday. In 41 years of high mileage driving it has not happened to me once.

screenman

Legendary Member
If you were wearing the old expensive Rapha clothing that was damaged as a result a collision with a car, would you accept cheap Lidle/Aldi cycling wear as a replacement - after all it does the same job as the Rapha stuff?
Most would be the opposite, claim for Rapha whilst wearing Lidl/Aldi although of course they will deny it on here.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Why is it expensive gimmickry? Nothing gimmickry in a heated electric remote control mirror with outside heat sensor built in, just makes common sense to me. There again I do not still watch black and white TV.

Ah, "common sense"! This is not difficult. Wing mirrors are knocked off all the time. It is close to inevitable that your wing mirror will get knocked off at some point, whether it's your fault or someone else's. Therefore it should be cheaply replaceable.

vickster

Legendary Member
but they aren't and as the OP knocked one off he should cover the cost of the replacement whatever it may be. He should be happy he didn't hit a Bentley or similar!

And join BC/CRC/LCC or similar ASAP.

vernon

Ah, "common sense"! This is not difficult. Wing mirrors are knocked off all the time. It is close to inevitable that your wing mirror will get knocked off at some point, whether it's your fault or someone else's. Therefore it should be cheaply replaceable.

As should Rapha cycling wear....it's close to inevitable that cyclists get hit by cars you know. :thumbsup:

screenman

Legendary Member
See my other post about how often they are knocked off, not forgetting this is my trade so I will know.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
But in my view it's not reasonable to design unnecessarily expensive and vulnerable peripheries for use on a car on public roads, and then get narked when the damage is expensive.
"But in my view it's not reasonable to design unnecessarily expensive and vulnerable bicycles for use on public roads, and then get narked when the damage is expensive."

There are two points here. First, each of the three things that makes modern car mirrors expensive are safety features. Electrically-adjustable means people do actually adjust them properly. Heated means they continue to work well in weather conditions which would obscure cheap ones. And indicators in mirrors makes them more visible. It's not frippery.

Second, it's not for the victim to justify the cost of their possessions when someone else damages them. As others have said, if a car driver (or jogger, if you prefer) collides with a cyclist, are they entitled to complain that the cyclist should not have been wearing "unnecessarily expensive and vulnerable" Rapha clothing and riding an "unnecessarily expensive and vulnerable" bicycle when they should have been wearing Lidl clothes and riding a BSO bought from Tesco?

Last edited:

Dan B

Disengaged member
See my other post about how often they are knocked off, not forgetting this is my trade so I will know.
The passenger door mirror was knocked off my car less than three months after I bought it brand new. Whoever did it (I suspect the bin lorry) didn't even stop and possibly didn't even notice

Top Bottom