So what sort of rides do folk want?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Mmmm..... pretty much the opposite of what everyone is saying for me. I've only been on one forum ride and bailed early because it was so slow. Fair enough if that's what you want but I hadn't realised just how slow it was going to be and didn't have enough clothes with me to keep warm.
To be fair to all parties, this is something that organisers should make clear beforehand. The idea of a group ride is to ride as a group after all....give and take required, really. Clothing is something most of us have got wrong at least a few times, but hindsight's a wonderful thing... The (London-based) rides for food pretty much ended because people complained they were too fast- even though the speed intention was made clear up front. They were social, but speedy with it.

doughnut

Veteran
Your recipe for a good CC ride suits me perfectly. Had a great time on your Peak District/Holme Moss ride. I was the slow guy that day, but everyone was ok and gave me a lot of encouragement. I'm always looking in this part of the forum for rides in the North West I can go on. I've missed out on 2 of Colins rides and 1 of yours this year due to just having a busy calendar. Was toying with the idea of doing the York-Humber-York ride next Saturday, but my daughter needs picking up from University that day - scuppered again.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, I have been struggling to get riders out on my hilly 100 km rides and now I am struggling to get them out on a flat 200 km one (see my signature link below until 27/06/15) ... I don't know whether the rides are too slow, too short, too long, or too hilly! :laugh:

Should I try a slow, mega-hilly 200 km ride next or a flat 25 mile time trial? :whistle:

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
That said, we did see the local Sutrans Chichester ride today, so many cycles WAS great to see, families, lycra, the whole gamut of products, bikes (another tandem!) and a wide range of ages... we were going the opposite way - which suits us fine!

I was on that! It was a lovely little ride and nice to be able to see that there are humans behind Sustrans, who love cycling and making it more accessible. If you got to "enjoy" us going through Centurion Way, thanks for putting up with us all :-D

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I've only done the one forum ride, organised by @ColinJ last year. It required a lot of organisation, a rather expensive train ticket, and kindness from friends who let me stay at theirs and drove me to the start and back. No fault of Colin's - that's just what happens when you live out of the way. The ride itself was everything I expected as Colin was very clear and honest about the gradients and expected pace. As it happens, we split into several smaller groups based on average speed, which I think worked out really well.

sittingbull

Veteran
Tricky one this. I've watched a few north-west ride threads but present circumstances mean I can't commit to any rides but have to take ride opportunities as they occur.

I think it's a significant problem trying to match different abilities without some people thinking the pace is frustratingly slow and others struggling to keep up..

For me it's about nice country lanes, good company, but most importantly pushing myself, getting a buzz and having fun with as few stops as possible. Perhaps there's a case for several ride groups with differing pace but the flexibility to change groups.

I suspect it's can be frustrating and thankless organising rides at times but rewarding at others. Your efforts are appreciated.

I was on that! It was a lovely little ride and nice to be able to see that there are humans behind Sustrans, who love cycling and making it more accessible. If you got to "enjoy" us going through Centurion Way, thanks for putting up with us all :-D

It looked like a great crowd, the leader (Phil?) stopped us and warned us there were many cyclists behind him - no kidding - maybe 60 or so..?

We didn't expect the back half to stop for us, we hoped just to pass you all gently on the left,but it was great to see another tandem in your group, and so many lovely comments and smiles at us on our tandem - lots of squeals ans wows form many of the younger cyclists!
we'll maybe join the next ride!

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
Ohh you were on the tandem, I couldn't likely forget that :-D
From a headcount there were around 100 of us. Yeah Phil was a member of the mobile cycle disco. I'd like to think that even if he wasn't the leader, people would naturally gravitate around him because, well, because he was a mobile cycle disco.

Ohh you were on the tandem, I couldn't likely forget that :-D
That was us! :smile:

100 eh, my stoker said it was over 100!

Glad you enjoyed it - maybe we'll see you around!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
FWIW I think much of it comes down to personal abilities; - whether believed or perceived.
As a lone cyclist my measure is what I have done before and the cycling I have undertaken recently. And I wouldn't want to embarass myself, nor uncessarily hold up a group on a ride I wasn't ready for. - Having been on some rides, (not CC ones), where there were riders who were clearly "out of their depth"
As it happens, I'd have joined @ColinJ 's June ride, but for helping run a snorkelling club on a Saturday. Sunday would have been better for me, but it seems from posts elsewhere, that Sundays are not a good day for others.
I have provisionally said "Yes" to your July ride as the club is on a summer break on that date, but as much training I do for the lumps and bumps you have planned, SWMBO.may have a final say as my wedding anniversary happens to be around that date.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I wouldn't join in merely for the fact that I am really slow and more of a social rider and would hate to hold people up!
Oh and I don't like big groups lol
I understand why you would personally be put off by big groups but don't let speed be an issue, any cc ride I have ever done always rides to the slowest and the toc's do a great job of ensuring those at the back have a great ride too.

Oh and ps, those large groups tend to break up pretty quickly to smaller sub groups which are easier to deal with

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Mmmm..... pretty much the opposite of what everyone is saying for me. I've only been on one forum ride and bailed early because it was so slow. Fair enough if that's what you want but I hadn't realised just how slow it was going to be and didn't have enough clothes with me to keep warm.
Next time, volunteer to be a way finder, zipping back to the front each time, warms you up, I promise.

sittingbull

Veteran
I've always found riding with others of similar ability the most rewarding (or ideally with those slightly quicker).

Most of us probably have Garmins, Cateyes etc. and will have a good idea of our own pace over distance. It would seem straightforward to have 2 or 3 groups based on average speed.

Last edited:

anothersam

SMIDSMe
One that goes from London to Hastings. (Sorry.)

From your list, start and/or finish accessible by public transport or something less than an epic ride in itself is a must. The ability to join/leave at various places is also a strong incentive.

My personal preference is a ride which doesn't require an official sign up or membership (such as to the CTC) to attend; I like to be able to turn up on a whim. However, as I completely understand why these may be conditions, and would've missed great rides if I'd stuck to those criteria unwaveringly, contenting myself with Critical Masses and Dun Runs, I waive these conditions whenever it suits. Ideally it wouldn't be on a weekend, which I like to reserve for the non-ride-going members of my family.

All of which conspire to have me velosoloing most of the time.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would love to do one of the rides, but if it isn't local then it would eat into family time. I'm also a bit wary of being able to keep up in terms of distance and speed. I can do 30 miles over the course of a day (which is the maximum my commute is) but speed wise I'm probably only around 10mph over the entire journey, and it's very nice saying you will not leave the slowest people but I wouldn't want to be the one slowing everyone down. But I often cycle with a slower colleague and don't mind going her pace apart from hills when she slows for me on the uphill and sometimes I go on ahead on the downhill, and then we wait at the top or bottom for the other person.

There are also weird worries such as I've never fixed a puncture on the side of the road yet, always preferring to walk and do it in the comfort of my home where it its me about 15-30 mins to do it..... Though I'm getting faster:okay: but luckily I don't get many opportunities to practice!

And my speed up hills is very slow.... About 4-7 mph! which does bring down my average speed!

It is something I'd love to do, maybe I ought to be seeing when one is coming up and start preparing for a longer ride. I often follow some of the ride threads as they do look interesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom