So what sort of rides do folk want?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wanda2010

Guru
I was one of those newbie riders who was very very nervous about joining a group ride as I felt I would be too slow and hold everyone up. The Fridays showed me different and also created a love of night rides (and bike lights). Lord Dell's type of organised ride is the gold standard for me: lots of waymarkers, TECS, a half-way stop and no-one left behind. I've always appreciated the effort put into organising those rides, especially once the Tours started.

I dislike hills. I don't like them as a runner, so I was never going to like them whilst on a bike, but I've improved a lot since my first ride and have no problem walking if my little legs throw a tantrum. Like @User13710, I'm happy to travel around the UK for a group ride, as long as I feel the ride is within my capabilities.

Do the occasional rides with a rather fluid group with a social / food / landscape intent disguised with fitness and cycling agenda. Some observations when rides are popular.
  • Lowest common denominator is speed, no ones wants to be burden to a group (read flat as well)
  • Convenient railhead for most not the organiser, frequency,London - popular, draw of the big smoke etc
  • Heading to the coast - draw of the seaside and a sense of accomplishment of reaching the physical end
  • Between 75 and 100 miles (sense of accomplishment, enough stretch hours for all abilities
The moment the organiser decides to treat it as another training run all is lost. It is to bring in newbies and show them they can do the distance with fun, more places to contemplate and no pressure. For the regulars its a break from the usual tough training and fitness runs and an excuse for chats, more cakes, big breakfast and a mini pissup at the end.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I reckon the distance of most rides is too long.

A first time participant will want to feel they have plenty in hand.

Too much talk of speed and elevation scares people.

Strava and the like is partly to blame, but organisers don't have to use it.

Most people find joining in with strangers nerve wracking.

The London rides on here look cliquey, rides from other areas less so.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I reckon the distance of most rides is too long.

A first time participant will want to feel they have plenty in hand.

Too much talk of speed and elevation scares people.

Strava and the like is partly to blame, but organisers don't have to use it.

The London rides on here look cliquey, rides from other areas less so.
They may look cliquey but they're not. Not much of a clique if they let me in ;)

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
FWIW so long as my workload permits I'm gonna keep organising rides. Who knows I may get quite good at it eventually.
The peak district ones are quite specific. If you like hills and a fair pace you'll love it. If not, you won't.
I will do the Llandudno ride again next year. Hopefully having learned some lessons from this year.
To get people on board it seems the best way is to make it about more than just the ride. Arrive, ride, go home isn't so appealing no matter how good the ride is. So mine will always include "post ride social". If I can add interesting bits to the ride so much the better. Like free Buxton water on my next one.
It sounds like there are quite a few folk worried about mileage and speed. Maybe sometime could do a nice 30-40 mile flat ride in Cheshire? Loads of nice pubs to finish in around there
At the risk of repeating myself there is nothing to stop another region developing a range of rides like SE does. There are more than enough CCers is just a matter of coming up with rides that pique the interest sufficiently

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Actually @Pale Rider, the London rides aren't at all 'cliquey' in the negative sense of that word (as in, excluding outsiders), but they do comprise a lot of people who have met before and got to know each other well. The first time out with a new bunch of people in any setting is a nervous experience for most people but if no one tried, things would never progress would they? In 2011 I pitched up at All Bar One for CC drinks having not met any of the people there in real life, and I remember being very apprehensive indeed, but I had a great time.

As for not being confident to fix a puncture @summerdays, the usual experience is that a team of eager people pitch in to help. All part of the fun. Like you, I can change a tube but it takes me ages so I'm grateful for skilled assistance. I can sort out the new tube, find the pump and put some air in, put stuff away ... so I'm not standing there feeling useless, and the whole procedure runs like clockwork. It's not like a hard core training run where the other riders won't stop!
View attachment 92766
That looks about right. One person changing the tube while a dozen look on, suck air through their teeth, offer "advice"and then give a come dancing score out of 10.
"Seven!"

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I hadn't thought of organising a non-weekend ride, but I could do ... :whistle:

The shortest version of my 'Trauma of Trawden' loop is only 29 miles but the hills make it quite challenging. It is very scenic. I could lengthen it to 40 miles by coming back a longer way.

It would be easy to add a second 19 or 23 mile loop taking in the Cragg Vale climb (England's 'longest continuous uphill gradient') for those who wanted to do a bit more.

Optional pub in Hebden Bridge at the end ...

Ok, I will put this to the test in August! A Scottish cousin is coming down with his bike and wants me to show him round the local area. I will organise a mid-week ride which CycleChatters could join us on. I will probably organise a weekend one that same week for the same reason. When Nigel confirms his dates, I will put up a couple of forum ride threads.

I will be interested to see what response the mid-week ride gets. I bet loads of people say that they would have loved to have done it, but they can't do Wednesdays. I will then suggest the Saturday ride instead ... :okay:

There have been a few recent attempts to get a ride going in the SW but it never seems to happen. :scratch:
A friend has a brother in Exeter so perhaps we will go down to visit him some time. If so, I would love to take my bike. Is that within a sensible cycling distance of you? (Or is it possible to get closer by train?)

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
A friend has a brother in Exeter so perhaps we will go down to visit him some time. If so, I would love to take my bike. Is that within a sensible cycling distance of you? (Or is it possible to get closer by train?)
Sensible? Yes, but a day's ride (quicker for you than me!) I could get the train down (half an hour), meet you, we cycle up here and you get the train back to Exeter from Taunton? Or you could get the train up and I'll take you on a tour of the local coffee stops area.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ok, I will put this to the test in August! A Scottish cousin is coming down with his bike and wants me to show him round the local area. I will organise a mid-week ride which CycleChatters could join us on. I will probably organise a weekend one that same week for the same reason. When Nigel confirms his dates, I will put up a couple of forum ride threads.
Ok well depending on the exact time I could be interested. Mr Summerdays will be at work, I'll be on holidays mostly but could probably plan a day escape. If you could plan a ride that didn't matter if I walked up hills, and could drop out after 30-40 miles near cake and transport......

See I'm not easy to cater for :biggrin:

anothersam

SMIDSMe

It's horrifying. It's also the main reason I do these things. The 2nd main reason being meeting with friends. Theoretically.

As for not being confident to fix a puncture @summerdays, the usual experience is that a team of eager people pitch in to help. All part of the fun....

That looks about right. One person changing the tube while a dozen look on, suck air through their teeth, offer "advice"and then give a come dancing score out of 10.

Reminds me of one of my worst experiences, on a very early group ride. Got a flat. Was starting to insert new tube when helpful chap says I need to pump a little air in first. I knew that, would surely have backtracked to fix such a schoolboy error, but something about being watched caused brainfreeze combined with obstinacy: a fatal combination. Carried on with chap growing increasingly desperate to help. Acute embarrassment had by now set in, triggering further stubbornness. AFAIR I finally removed bike, floppy tube, and pump from what had turned into centre stage and fled to the wings.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I suppose it was a bit unfair of me to post a picture of a back wheel of a Brompton puncture being fixed in front of a laughing audience of photographers. Entirely unrepresentative I can assure you.
From the same episode...
IMAG1578.jpg

Top Bottom