FNRttC Southend on Sea Night Ride Thursday 24th March 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
Call me a bluff old traditionalist, but in my book, 6 degrees, a slight southerly wind and no rain do not constitute Götterdämmerung conditions.
Minus 7, or a 30kph headwind on a Dutch seadyke for a whole afternoon, or torrents of ice-cold rain coming down the hill into Brighton - maybe.
Yes I do hope you appreciate me ringing the Gods and explaining that @AKA Bob is a rather sensitive and delicate cyclist to whom a ride to that far distant pier would need to be warm, dry and tail winded as an absolute minimum. As you now see the Gods have obliged by blowing the old forecast far away.

No need to say thank you. A case of Westmalle Trippel will be quite sufficient. Or even two :cheers:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Westmalle Trippel
It's only 9.5% proof - are sure that's strong enough for your taste?

StuartG

slower but further
It's only 9.5% proof - are sure that's strong enough for your taste?
Good point. However one has to be careful when riding. I did have a jar or two of their rather stronger stuff (was it 12%?) on @frank9755's great ride. I don't think I have ever ridden faster for the next 45 minutes. But then it was like hitting a wall. I may have actually hit a wall. I wouldn't have known the difference. Payback big style. Never again!

martint235

Dog on a bike
Good to see it's looking like a dry ride: the Met Office forecast for Rayleigh on Saturday is for rain at 3pm, by which I shall be home. Or still in Southend and had so much beer and I won't care if it's raining.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/u10mmycts#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1458950400
That website completely differs to Weatherspark who I believe get their data from the well thought of Norwegians.
https://weatherspark.com/#!dashboard;loc=51.5779,0.6130

StuartG

slower but further
Seeing as the new venue of Beaches Bistro have gone to all the trouble of opening up for us and extending their drinks licence, I feel it's my duty to ensure that their efforts aren't in vain, so regardless of the weather conditions, I will definitely be on the ride. It's a sacrifice that must be made. :cheers:
Indeed FD. Its just the making up for those that may fail to to be there that may be a bit challenging. Especially without TC to assist.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Seeing as the new venue of Beaches Bistro have gone to all the trouble of opening up for us and extending their drinks licence, I feel it's my duty to ensure that their efforts aren't in vain, so regardless of the weather conditions, I will definitely be on the ride. It's a sacrifice that must be made. :cheers:
As I'd be in the smoke for Friday night anyway, might as well just travel up a few hours earlier.... ;)

jiberjaber

Veteran
I imagine we will in the City by the time your train arrives so please catch us up. Will text you my number

Might be worth using Glympse https://www.glympse.com/ to sync rendezvous - install it at home rather than trying to install whilst out and about :smile:
It seems to be in common use by the Essex Peloton when trying to get everyone in the same place and works quite well (as long as there is phone reception of course)

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Might be worth using Glympse https://www.glympse.com/ to sync rendezvous - install it at home rather than trying to install whilst out and about :smile:
It seems to be in common use by the Essex Peloton when trying to get everyone in the same place and works quite well (as long as there is phone reception of course)
I'll go for the 'sync rendezvous by taking the same roads and riding somewhat faster' option. The Friday morning peloton is unlikely to be more than about fifteen minutes up the road (it's two miles round from HPC to Waterloo for a start). And someone might decide to have a puncture at the Arch.....

saoirse50

Veteran
My attendance, given the double raindrops on every forecast, is dependent on my obtaining a new pair of waterproof trousers, without the rather large hole which has developed in the buttock area of my current pair. I don't think this will be a problem, though. Plenty of bike shops around me, and failing that, online retailers who can get stuff to my address in 24 hours. What's more unlikely is getting a pair that actually fit...hence my hanging on to this current pair so long. I'll most likely be the one tripping over the bottoms of my trousers at HPC, if you don't already know me.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I'm a fan of http://www.rainlegs.com/en/home as they keep you dry where it matters but don't make you sweat. I have the bright yellow colour.

14029696448_f1a21f0a04.jpg

you may prefer a less gaudy colour combination :blink:

saoirse50

Veteran
Sad to hear that: haven't seen you for ages. Hope the pains recede soon.

Rainlegs are all very well, but work best with mudguards. In heavy rain and without mudguards, not so good. I could bring the bike with full mudguards, buts it's my Roberts RoughStuff, a beautiful bike, amazingly comfortable, but I'm very, very slow on it.

Top Bottom