FNRttC Southend on Sea Night Ride Thursday 24th March 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Now i am not claiming perfect recall here but i don't remember it being on Good Friday before.
I think there was one occasion when it was.

Trickedem

Guru
I'm still in negotiation with the authorities about doing the ride. We are going to Bury St Edmund's for a long weekend and are supposed to arrive there by Friday afternoon. I reckon I should be able to make it quite easily. She will also have more room in the car for passengers, luggage etc.
What could go wrong?

I'm still in negotiation with the authorities about doing the ride. We are going to Bury St Edmund's for a long weekend and are supposed to arrive there by Friday afternoon. I reckon I should be able to make it quite easily. She will also have more room in the car for passengers, luggage etc.
What could go wrong?

65 miles to cycle from Southend, quite flat. Sounds like an excellent plan!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I will make enquiries at work...
Enquiry made. Answer positive.
The Plan: Cut breaks short by ten minutes Mon/Tues/Wednesday of that week. Thursday: out the door at 9pm instead of 9.30, claiming that time back. Time enough to get home (40 minutes), get changed & get to Hilsea station for the last train up to Waterloo. That gets in at 00.33. Which is not half an hour behind the ride, you'll be passing Waterloo Bridge (sort of) on your way east, and I'll have half a mile less to get to the Blackfriars tunnel. And moving somewhat quicker, even with panniers loaded for a weekend away. Result!

Last edited:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
@AKA Bob will no doubt have ideas for a route. I think at this stage they do not include a tunnel, but may well include Going South of The River using a bridge then going back north over Another Bridge. Best to check with him nearer the time. But check you should.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
@AKA Bob will no doubt have ideas for a route. I think at this stage they do not include a tunnel, but may well include Going South of The River using a bridge then going back north over Another Bridge. Best to check with him nearer the time. But check you should.
Check will I :smile:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
How flat is this ride.
I am trying out my single speed legs atm, but this would be my longest ever SS ride.
I did it on a Brompton without too much difficulty. The Junction 31 route, if the little helpers don't decide to change the route too much, is pretty much pancake flat until the outskirts of Southend when there is a bastard hill. There is a pub at the top, but don't count on it being open.

rb58

Enigma
How flat is this ride.
I am trying out my single speed legs atm, but this would be my longest ever SS ride.
I've done it fixed on several occasions. I may do so again this time. There's Bread and Cheese Hill before Southend, but the hard bit is quite short. On one occasion we went over Langdon Hill, which is about twice as long as Bread and Cheese. But we've only gone that way once.

Go for it.

Top Bottom