FNRttC Southend on Sea Night Ride Thursday 24th March 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

I take it that we can still get from Southend to Liverpool St?

I don't know if I'll make the ride: I've sprained my medial ligament due to running out of talent when mountain biking. I'll have to hope it heals in time.

rvw

Guru
....Plan B (the northern variation) involves going via Princes Risborough and Aylesbury, which is not an approved route.[.... ] Plan E involves begging a lift.

Choices, choices.

The plan B-E combo: train to Little Kimble, cycle over to Wendover, cadge lift with wife who will be in Wendover either digging her mum's garden or sorting out her mum's books. So long as wife remembers to take the bigger car.

Reactions: srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The plan B-E combo: train to Little Kimble, cycle over to Wendover, cadge lift with wife who will be in Wendover either digging her mum's garden or sorting out her mum's books. So long as wife remembers to take the bigger car.
So that's 8am at Southend, half an hour for breakfast, an hour or so to Fenchurch St, half an hour to Marylebone and an hour to Wendover.

Hmmm. I think I may need to find something else to do so that I don't arrive at the mother-in-law before you. Any ideas, anyone?

mmmmartin

Random geezer
So that's 8am at Southend, half an hour for breakfast, an hour or so to Fenchurch St, half an hour to Marylebone and an hour to Wendover..... something else to do so that I don't arrive at the mother-in-law before you. Any ideas, anyone?
  1. Be at the back of the ride when you arrive so you are forced to drink an extra coffee while you wait for your order to be cooked.
  2. Order a large breakfast so it takes longer to eat.
  3. Drink a small quantum of beer before you get the train.
  4. It's 74 minutes to Fenchurch Street on the 10.06 train.
Alterantively, you could just drink more beer to while away the time waiting for others to finish their beers and do a "groupsave".

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Dear fellow Friday's

With just over 10 days to go until the first Friday Night Ride to the Coast of 2016 we now have 70 people signed up with 14 people experiencing the magic of our rides for the first time.

Last Friday night 6 of us reccied the route and I am pleased to say once we leave the services at Junction 31 we will be travelling mainly along some new delightful quiet Essex lanes on our way to Southend on Sea. Though I would describe it as a pretty flat ride there will be 600m of climbing over the 60 miles we plan to cycle. None of the hills are that long but a couple do bite so be warned but I am sure there won't be any problems. The first half will be following the previously well ridden but very urban route out through East London.

Junction 31 is warm and seating is plentiful but sadly food choice will be limited. I imagine we will be spending about an hour there. There are some local options available locally but it might be wise of thinking about bringing a small picnic with you to avoid the expected queues.

For those who would like to know where they are going please use the following Ride with GPS link. Though this will be subject to change as my spies supply updates about the route and if the weather turns really inclement then we may follow a shorter route. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12587091

David of Beaches Bistro and Café(http://www.beachesbarbistro.co.uk/ ) will be looking forward to our arrival around 8am in Southend to serve us breakfast. For those who like the idea of drinking beer with your breakfast then this will also be possible. The more observant of you will notice that he doesn't serve a vegetarian breakfast but if you would prefer this option please reply to this email putting vegetarian into the title so I can gauge numbers and let David know.

It's still too early for an accurate weather forecast but I will be sending a further email early next week with the predicted weather and any other relevant updates.

In the meantime please check those tyres and replace them if they are a bit worn and puncture prone. If for whatever reason you find you are unable to attend please reply to this email and put 'not coming' into the title. Finally remember the ride is on Thursday 24th and not the normal Friday night.

See you all next week,

Titus

Southend Ride Leader.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
What's the detour on Cornwall Road about?
Upper Ground looks like the best place for me to join you. Train next Thursday scheduled to get in 0033 (unfortunately makes extra stops to earlier ones), catching you up shouldn't be a problem if need be.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@AKA Bob
No list of participants anymore?

U

User482

I'm also out. I'm looking at 4-6 weeks rehab for a knee injury. I presume that Bristol - London return train tickets are of no use to anyone else?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm also out. I'm looking at 4-6 weeks rehab for a knee injury. I presume that Bristol - London return train tickets are of no use to anyone else?

Damn, so wanted a much closer look at your bike...

Oh yes.. sorry to hear you can't make it either..

StuartG

slower but further
The Norwegians are currently optimistic about the start time. Relatively warm, dry and a tailwind. Things can only get worse ...

Top Bottom