Subway or Greggs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Must admit, I prefer Subway out of the two, but A while back there was a report about the amount of salt in 'takeaway' foods & subway was one of the worst offenders for high salt levels. Don't think I've been in since

Cubist

Still wavin'
Neither. Greggs has what appears to be half the town's riff-raff queuing up outside it, and Subway cannot be serious with their pricing. Independent butty shop in town gets a lovely chicken salad on brown for £1.85

Now there's a deli in town which does awesome hot pastas at lunchtime, and I was heading for one of those today, but spotted the noodle bar opposite. One japanese chicken curry on noodles for me thanks!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Coming late to this thread as usual and I can't believe anybody actually voluntarily buys the crap sold at Greggs, especially if they are supposedly a fit cyclist with any self-respect. Massive chains like Greggs represent the nasty industrial aspects of bakery, the meats are slurp and slurry and the pastries are based on hydrogenated vegetable fats (vegetable oil that's had hydrogen bubbled though it until it becomes hard). Unfortunately it's a fact of life that the fats and the salt enhance our appreciation of the flavours so to a lot of people who lack discrimination a greasy pasty from Gregges tastes better than a proper hand-made sandwich with fresh fillings.

For me it's a brown bap with a fresh ham salad and no marge, £1.00 a shot from the works canteen.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Rigid Raider said:
Coming late to this thread as usual and I can't believe anybody actually voluntarily buys the crap sold at Greggs, especially if they are supposedly a fit cyclist with any self-respect. Massive chains like Greggs represent the nasty industrial aspects of bakery, the meats are slurp and slurry and the pastries are based on hydrogenated vegetable fats (vegetable oil that's had hydrogen bubbled though it until it becomes hard). Unfortunately it's a fact of life that the fats and the salt enhance our appreciation of the flavours so to a lot of people who lack descrimination a greasy pasty from Gregges tastes better than a proper hand-made sandwich with fresh fillings.

For me it's a brown bap with a fresh ham salad and no marge, £1.00 a shot from the works canteen.

Are there any of those on here? really?

bonj2

ianrauk said:
Greggs everytime, oooh their sausage rolls are glorious
For some reason I really don't like the weird smells that eminate from Subway shops.

It is a well known fact that subway put those addiction chemicals that are in pringles in their food, this is probably what you can smell.

Blackandblue

Neither. They both chuck out unhealthy, expensive, oversized crap.

I work in London, and the choice for lunchtime snacks is phenomenal. There are loads of big chains - Itsu, Pret a Manger, Starbucks, Eat, Salade etc, then there are smaller chains - Abokado, Leon, Chilango, Wasabi, then there loads of independent sandwich shops and then there are the market stalls (Leather Lane nearest for me) that have all sorts of World food. And then there are restaurants of all shape and variety from Pie and Mash, greasy spoons to Michelin starred restaurants. All a short walk from my office.

And then there's the office canteen which is pretty splendid, subsidised (a bit), on the 9th floor of my building and with a roof terrace.

But I HATE queuing for food. So I often spend my lunchtimes wandering aimlessly from establishment to establishment trying to find one without a queue. And then ending up in the first one I went into because that was what I really fancied in the first place.

Top Bottom