Subway or Greggs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

tordis said:
I like Subway more - I'm addicted to their Italian herb bread. Plus, they tend to do some good offers.

that'll be the chemicals they put in it. It isn't harmful *as long as you realise* that they are deliberately putting that in it to get you hooked on it and end up eating it all the time.

Blackandblue said:
I work in London, and the choice for lunchtime snacks is phenomenal. There are loads of big chains - Itsu, Pret a Manger,................

I once went to London. Pret a Manger were selling a "breadless sandwich".

They wouldn't stand for that in Manchester!

bonj2

Rigid Raider said:
Coming late to this thread as usual and I can't believe anybody actually voluntarily buys the crap sold at Greggs, especially if they are supposedly a fit cyclist with any self-respect. Massive chains like Greggs represent the nasty industrial aspects of bakery, the meats are slurp and slurry and the pastries are based on hydrogenated vegetable fats (vegetable oil that's had hydrogen bubbled though it until it becomes hard). Unfortunately it's a fact of life that the fats and the salt enhance our appreciation of the flavours so to a lot of people who lack discrimination a greasy pasty from Gregges tastes better than a proper hand-made sandwich with fresh fillings.

For me it's a brown bap with a fresh ham salad and no marge, £1.00 a shot from the works canteen.

excellent post. also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat#Presence_in_food, http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/food_matters/transfats.shtml

tordis

bonj said:
that'll be the chemicals they put in it. It isn't harmful *as long as you realise* that they are deliberately putting that in it to get you hooked on it and end up eating it all the time.
Oh, no worries about that - I normally make my own lunch and only eat out twice or three times a month. And then I usually choose GBK (oh, I love their blue cheese burger!) or a tiny, local Italian place next to where I work.

Globalti

Legendary Member
They say that smell is the closest sense to the brain so maybe chavs are hotwired to like greasy smells by the distant memory of the fryups their mums made when they were infants - it's Pavlovian.

Top Bottom