TDF = watching in Yorkshire..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Some one else posted a picture of the other side of the hill on Twitter :eek: so all that lot were in front of us :thumbsup:

BrzhGUVCAAAvBw_.jpg
I was struggling through similar crowds trying to make my way home out of Harrogate. Concentrating very hard on not hitting/being hit by anyone!
Gawd knows how the peloton does it!

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I was struggling through similar crowds trying to make my way home out of Harrogate. Concentrating very hard on not hitting/being hit by anyone!
Gawd knows how the peloton does it!

I really like riding down the closed roads, did it again today on the York road into Knaresborough and then up Knaresborough hill into Harrogate even managed to scalp some people on road bikes on my MTB :bicycle:

Had a great day in Leyburn yesterday. The whole place was jammed and it was as much fun explaining it all to bemused locals as being among like-minded people. The former loved the helicopter and the sense of drama.
As always, we didn't see a lot, but you had to be there. The crowds were amazing. Yorkshire rightly very pleased with itself.

Mike_P

Guru
I really like riding down the closed roads, did it again today on the York road into Knaresborough and then up Knaresborough hill into Harrogate even managed to scalp some people on road bikes on my MTB :bicycle:

Took up the once in a lifetime chance to peddal down the cycletrack in the middle of A59 west of Harrogate, oh! they are no overtaking lines apparently!

Julia9054

Guru
I cycle up Knaresborough hill every morning. At about 8mph on a good day! I'd love to know what speed the TdF riders were doing!
Riding the closed roads was amazing. I loved getting cheered on by the crowds as i rode into Otley.

phil_hg_uk

I cycle up Knaresborough hill every morning. At about 8mph on a good day! I'd love to know what speed the TdF riders were doing!
Riding the closed roads was amazing. I loved getting cheered on by the crowds as i rode into Otley.

Yeah I think they may have been going a bit quicker than that but 8mph is ok :thumbsup:

I think a lot of the locals who were lining the closed roads this weekend were totally gob smacked just how many people were suddenly cycling down the roads they normally see almost no bikes on.

No idea how fast I was going on the MTB but I had decided it was going to rain and had long sleeve jersey and gillet and overshoes on and I was pouring with sweat by the time I got to starbeck, I took the MTB because we got onto the York road via some fields as we didnt know if you could cycle down the main road, it was like pedaling a small building around compared with the road bike :sweat:

Idoru

was planning to go to don valley spectator hub, but ended up at the hub in the Sheffield peace garden. Fantastic day, great atmosphere, great weather, fantastic food from around the world in the main street.

phil_hg_uk

Just seen Laurens ten Dam's Strava report for today that someone posted on another thread. The answer is 12.3mph. Surprised - thought it would be faster.

Pffftttt lightweights :giggle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My plan to cycle down a quiet lane and join the course worked.

The route passed within about eight miles of my static caravan, so I was able to watch the start on television and pootle down to my chosen spot between Leyburn and Masham - next to Jervaulx Abbey for those with local knowledge.

About 100 there, more than I expected.

Slight downside was the breakaway had been caught, so they all hammered past together.

Very impressive, riding at speed at close quarters.

There was a bend and a hill to my left which brought the following cars to a halt.

A few stragglers were weaving through which looked quite hairy.

I was able to join the course soon after and cycled to Masham to watch the finish on the big screen.

As they might say in Yorkshire, 'twas a grand day out.

OP
OP
D

davefb

Guru
Amazing weekend.
Got worried on the Friday night as we'd brought the 'loads of space tent' and it *really* didnt like the wind.. I mean, I am camping on an open moor effectively ( between Oxenhope and Haworth) so not that surprising :smile:...
cycled into Skipton for the Saturday ( at first kicking myself I'd no warm gear, but quickly thinking glad I didnt) , arrived, had beer, saw an incredible amount of bikes and people managed to find a spot just out of town.. of course, being a 'virgin' the riders FLASH REALLY FAST PAST and I hardly get any shots :smile: but was amazing..
head off down the dual carriageway , to realise it's just PACKED with people, not quite like those pics above, but not far off....
Sunday, thought they'd be slow up from the reservoir, but so did a lot of other people, so really it wasn't as good a spot as I'd hoped ... but again, the atmosphere was amazing..

2 hours later, it's effectively clear of people , where did they go ? and fair play, no litter.

amazing time, amazing organisation, amazing decor by the normal people on the route, amazing sight...

wish they were back next year :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
2 hours later, it's effectively clear of people , where did they go ? and fair play, no litter.
I noticed this too. We went for a short walk on Grinton Moor afterwards and noticed how clean it was on the way back.

I did, however, make a pompous song and dance of picking up a gel wrapper off the road the next day. Bloody cyclists.

fimm

Veteran
Does anyone know how to do that Strava thing where you load all the traces from a particular time and place into one video? I think it might be quite good. And there will be at least one from the peloton!

Top Bottom