Tesco mis -pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I'd rather see consistent low prices rather than yellow offer tickets everywhere. But that's how they hide the over priced as you mentally tally one off against another.

I just feel Tesco are the most manipulative best at it
EFA and more than an element of truth

I agree - you need your wits about you, but it's the way it is. Shop wisely and it's good value, but that value comes in the form of them pinching back margin on other items - or the Clubcard denyers!

Even the discounters do it tbh, it's just that Tesco is the most clearly signposted.

Jody

Stubborn git
EFA and more than an element of truth

I agree - you need your wits about you, but it's the way it is. Shop wisely and it's good value, but that value comes in the form of them pinching back margin on other items - or the Clubcard denyers!

Even the discounters do it tbh, it's just that Tesco is the most clearly signposted.

Couldn't agree more. It's really altered the way I shop.

That data is used to manipulate shoppers. You aren't a random shopper if they can link it with your metrics.

There is a problem at Tesco concerning the labelling of prices

If you buy a small ketchup (for example) then the shelf will say how much it is per 100g as well as the price for the bottle
If you buy the large one then it does the same - so you can see how much cheaper the large one is

However, if there is a clubcard off on the small one then they do not include the price per 100g

and even if the offer is on the large bottle - the lack of a "per 100g" price means that you cannot compare it to the own brand version
unless, of course, you "do the maths"
I get some funny look when I get my phone out and start working it out with the calculator
but if you don;t do that then you are just accepting that any Clubcard offer it a good one - and some are not!

This has been logged with the competition type authorities - but I have no idea if they have made any ruling on it yet

either way - it was still a problem last time I looked

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
just collecting a bit of data on what items your buy. Its really no big deal.

It can be a big deal under certain circs.

Go back to the early days of loyalty cards when you got posted vouchers based on your purchasing habits. Mailshots, remember them? There were a number of cases where those purchases were things that you didn't want others in the household to know about, resulting in unexpected maternity vouchers and the like.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Second time in three weeks I have noticed an overcharge at the checkout, this morning it was sugar, ticket price 70p checkout £1.09, the other week it was apples overcharged by 50p. They used to give you back double the difference but not anymore so I presume it is a common occurrence now probably due to less staff. When I see shoppers with full trolleys I wonder if they ever check prices and imagine Tesco and probably other supermarkets do quite well out of these mistakes before someone brings it to their attention.

I do notice that sometimes the discounted price does not flash up on the till, but then appears as a credit further down the receipt. E.g. I bought some vodka that was £17 reduced to £12. It initially flashed up (scanned) as £17 so I got in a rage, then my partner pointed to the screen and showed me the line item that said something like "vodka deal -£4". I wouldn't have noticed it because it didn't beep.

It is all a con though; where we save in some ways through deals or loyalty cards, we expend in other secret ways.

I haven't noticed over-charging though, but you are right, it only takes 1 member of staff (or computer) not to enter in the correct code and probably hundredds of people a day are getting over charged because they don't check. I sort of check as I'm scanning, but I don't study the receipt afterwards. I just have a mis-guided trust for the shop and hope they've got it right

Is that in one particular co-op branch? I've never had a problem with mine. I make a point of using two offers each week, even if it's only to buy something to put in the food bank box. It sometimes briefly confuses the assistant as they tell me the initial amount to pay then the computer takes the discounts off.

It's the Yeovil branch which used to be the Green Dragon pub which is on St Michaels Ave. Further up the same road is another Coop branch but that is a different regional Coop and my membership card won't work there. We aren't far from the edge of another Coop region either as 14 miles away there is a Coop for a different region again so I have to keep my wits about me with regard where the card will work but the main Coop I use is only a 5 minute walk from my home depending on my fitness level as it starts with a steep hill to get there. Which makes it a easy walk home when fully loaded with short life discounts to go in the freezer.

I'd rather see consistent low prices rather than yellow offer tickets everywhere. But that's how they hide the over priced as you mentally tally one off against another.

I just feel Tesco are the most manipulative

How are they the most manipulative it seems very similar to other loyalty schemes and its completely free to have a clubcard its not like costco membership. Also some of the clubcard prices are brilliant and fantastic savings. The thing that annoys me is when its so popular they run out of stock for the clubcard price offers. Which I had at Christmas for their half price mince pies. The Yeovil Tesco store is huge and has an amazing range of products including all their value range options. It's an amazing supermarket for choice and there is nothing else around here to match it. If you have a busy week and just want to do one shop to get everything its ideal although I personally don't buy branded goods very much. I go for their Aldi/Lidl style fake brands and offers mainly. I'm not loyal to any supermarket and rotate where I shop but Tesco's I have to admit is by far my favourite.

Jody

Stubborn git
I don't share you feelings on Tesco and wouldn't call them amazing. Of course the clubcard (like Nectar and it's rivals) is free as you are handing them your habits and preferences for them to market you in the future. It's not there for your benefit.

It's only my feeling but Tesco seems to be the most misleading and manipulative. As one instance pointed out earlier reference removing or changing the unit cost so you cannot compare value.

Costco membership includes fuel that costs way below that of other retailers, so it's easy to recoup your money. 1 tank of fuel per month would recover your full membership cost every year.

Mike_P

Guru
Lidl are one of the worst for offers as they are seemingly the same offer to all users of their app and hence invariably sold out

Mike_P

Guru
Sainsbury's was Lidl like this pm but I presume thats their typically shocking stock levels. Popped in for a bag of 5 oranges (personal reduced Nectar price) which after scanning the shelves for a couple of minutes I finally found few bags of them. Looked for a couple of other items (one also a personal Nectar price and the other bonus Nectar points equalling 60p cashback) and the shelves empty.

classic33

Leg End Member
It is like cake when you are cycling

you know - when you need to stop and fill up your personal motor with cake in order to keep on cycling

same thing - only cars use petrol/diesel as fuel - which doesn;t taste as nice
Recycled cooking oil as well!

Do you drink much petrol/diesel?

Mike_P

Guru
our big sainsburys is a total waste land for fresh fruit and veg. Not sure what is going on.

They did have a stock system that ordered an item when one was sold; if something was out of stock it could not place an order. I thought they had got rid of it but it often looks otherwise.

Top Bottom