Tesco mis -pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
WHen I was a kid we lived next door to a supermarket

The ladies (!) on the tills had to memorise every single price in the store - and they were tested every morning and at slack times

fail more than a couple of times and they were out

they always had 2 trolleys at the till - one that the customer had their shopping in and one left behind by the previous customer
as they typed the price into the till they took the item out of one trolley and put it in the other
boy were they fast!!!

"it was said" that they were expected to add a couple of extras onto every customer shop if they had more that a few items

it was also said - and we knew this bit to be true - that once they started someone pointed out my Mum to them and made sur ethey knew her face
Then they knew to NEVER add any extras onto her bill - she would spot it every time
AND she would make them go back and re-do it slowly no matter how many people got helpd up

and she was never wrong - which pacified the people she had delayed

and that was why new staff HAD to know who she was

WOrking in a shop was much harder in those days - even if my Mum wasn;t shopping there!

Was that Kwik Save?

My supermarket of choice as a skint student, and then again later on when we bought our first house.

Was that Kwik Save?

My supermarket of choice as a skint student, and then again later on when we bought our first house.

Initially it was called "Scotts" and this is the era that I remember as a child
It did change to Kwik Save a while later

And they knew how to "make change". The till didn't tell them how much to give back when the customer offered a £20 note.

The local independents that I shop at still often tally up your spending on the back of a paper bag. No computerised tills for them. The "Saturday girl" in the fruit shop tends to struggle with the adding up.

Butcher near here always adds it up on a sheet of paper then types it into the till or credit card machine
so do all his staff

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I'm kind of done with Tesco. I work 12 hour shifts, and after the last night shift, it is the only supermarket open at 06:00 hrs. So would go out of convience as don't really like shopping at all, it was quiet at that time. Just kind of woke up, its just really overpriced, the products are nothing special at all. The clubcard savings are really not worth it, Just go to Lidl or Aldi now. Most things are better quality, more so in Lidl. Don't really want to pay way more just because it is convienent. Finally woke up, to being ripped off. That's just me though, everbody to their own. Just went there as its really local. Think there's better branded supermarkets than Tesco, not really interested personally. Get other things from Home Bargains. It's really easy to go to these big supermarkets and get everything if you don't think you have the time, but you get really f***ed over for it. If you can afford it, and like the convienence, totally get that. Not for me anymore though, after around 40 years of getting fleeced..

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My local Lidl place Pot Noodles immediatley next to their cheap own brand version. They use the same colour pots as well. If you're not careful it's easy to accidentally buy the more expensive one.

Look on the bright side. You might go in wanting to buy Pot Noodle, and accidentally buy the cheaper one.

stephec

Legendary Member
Look on the bright side. You might go in wanting to buy Pot Noodle, and accidentally buy the cheaper one.

Or even better, the risk of buying the wrong one might stop you from buying them altogether.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I am going from someone i used to work with
his wife's car ran out of petrol so he syphoned some from his own car to put into hers to get to the petrol station

he just sucked a bit too much

He claimed petrol tastes bad - and he seemed very sure of it

I am assuming diesel is the same

although one of the Science Teachers at that school did have a "thingy" in his shed to convert old chip fat into diesel - so maybe that is not as bad
I also heard of an old Volvo that ran quite happily on filtered old vegetable oil - such as old chip fat
but did smell like a chip shop when it drove past

otehr than that I have not bothered looking for evidence

One local here part owned a pub/chippy and his wife still runs a chip van. He was also a builder and had a rattly old pickup which he ran initially on half diesel half cooking oil. He then got a separate tank for diesel for starting and warm up before switching to 100% cooking oil. You could smell him coming if the wind was in the right direction long before you could see him.
I once had to drive the thing for a couple of miles for him and it actually ran not too bad on the cooking oil.

Article in the new today says Tesco are going to start putting the price per item and price per 100g etc etc on the offers as well as the main prices

it has taken them a while - but at least they are doing it
should stop me getting "looks" from people when I am standing there using my phone as a calculator to work out the deals!!!

Mike_P

Guru
Article in the new today says Tesco are going to start putting the price per item and price per 100g etc etc on the offers as well as the main prices

it has taken them a while - but at least they are doing it
should stop me getting "looks" from people when I am standing there using my phone as a calculator to work out the deals!!!

Put the trolley app on your phone and you can see if the deal is really saving you money - for example the clubcard gives currently gives £1.35 off a tin of Kenco coffee which, although £2 cheaper than Sainsburys, simply makes the same price Morrisons are are selling it for and 50p dearer than Asda.

Top Bottom