Tesco mis -pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Put the trolley app on your phone and you can see if the deal is really saving you money - for example the clubcard gives currently gives £1.35 off a tin of Kenco coffee which, although £2 cheaper than Sainsburys, simply makes the same price Morrisons are are selling it for and 50p dearer than Asda.

But how many people are prepared to spread their shopping over 3-4 supermarkets just to save a few pence?

Mike_P

Guru
But how many people are prepared to spread their shopping over 3-4 supermarkets just to save a few pence?

£6 Sainsburys to £3.50 Asda is a bit more than a few pence and having all bar Tesco (which is currently being built) within ebiked cycling distance over hilly terrain I use them all, largely due to having a food allergy for which none stock a full range but across all a pretty full variety of foods can be found. Hence todays venture 20 miles east for work saw a couple of miles extra added on in my own time to visit a Tesco to buy four of one item and two of another only they currently stock.

Alex321

Veteran
£6 Sainsburys to £3.50 Asda is a bit more than a few pence and having all bar Tesco (which is currently being built) within ebiked cycling distance over hilly terrain I use them all, largely due to having a food allergy for which none stock a full range but across all a pretty full variety of foods can be found. Hence todays venture 20 miles east for work saw a couple of miles extra added on in my own time to visit a Tesco to buy four of one item and two of another only they currently stock.

Yes, we will occasionally go to a second supermarket to get things only they stock. But we won't visit a second one just to get something cheaper, unless it is a massive difference.

I went to Tesco today purely because it was chucking it down and the Tesco car park is under the store so you don't have to go out in the rain

It is also the closest - except for a small Co-Op which is expensive - and small

I do that but its done alternate weeks, typically I get sent money off vouchers and will use the supermarket I have vouchers for, each supermarket and great quality or value on different items. One week I'm in Tesco, then Sainsburys then Morrisons etc. I only buy their price matched, offer or short life reductions mainly. Next week I'm in Lidls as I have a £5 off £25 offer. I struggle a bit with Lidl as it has a limited range and I don't like the quality of many items but will manage to get to £25 no problem. Generally Iceland, Farmfoods, Lidl and Aldi I only shop by walking into as I don't typically buy that much in each of those because of their limited range so I can easily carry what I've bought. Aldi is my closest supermarket and one I walk past quite regularly and the Farmfoods is next door. Unfortunately in many ways its a poor supermarket as things like banana's are really scrappy and many items are actually poor value or quality typically slower moving items that I buy.

A recent purchase of tinned tuna was exceptionally low quality inside compared to a similar tin bought at Sainsburys that had a Aldi price match. I don't drink alcohol, I only mention that as I see a lot of Aldi trolleys in the queue that typically have a lot of alcohol in, often multiple bottles of wine or large purchases of beer, perhaps to those shoppers its better value but to me its not actually that great.

Also I'm very resentful of Lidl at the moment, recently bought a Spanish week purchase of little sugar iceing cakes that had been left over from the Spanish week and were reduced from £2.99 to about £2 just to see what they were like. They were absolutely terrible, why on earth would they import such rubbish. £2 wasted and will probably hang around for ages before being thrown in the bin. I could had a pack of oaties for about 1/4 of the price for the same weight and actually enjoyable to eat especially dipped in a cup of tea.

Mike_P

Guru
Much the same as @bonzobanana Wednesday needed some milk and on my phone was a £2 coupon for Asda so a few other items picked up. Thursday and having a quarter of an hour wait for a bus and a Lidl nearby popped quickly in there. Friday and a whole stack of personal Nectar offers with matching extra points so a big shop in Sainsbury's calling in a Simply Food en route.
Today Waitrose primarily for a free TV week's TV guide aka Saturday Times. As I said earlier having a food allergy each has goods unique to them, or if not is of a far better quality in one of them, so any visit to one of them nearly always has certain purchases included; sponge puds and KitKat equivalents Asda, bread for toasting Waitrose etc.

dicko

Guru
Being both retired now we are lucky to have all the supermarkets easily accessible to our home. We visit Aldi on a Monday my wife meets our son on Tuesday for coffee in town and they shop in Sainsbury’s. I usually visit Lidl on Wednesday whilst walking to B & Q where there’s another bigger Sainsbury’s. Asda is close by too where I buy my breakfast cereal as it’s cheaper plus a Tesco express within 500 meters from my front door for emergencies. Farm foods is 3 km away, B & M is about 1 km away. We know where the cheapest items are as we swap notes on prices but when we were first married fifty one years ago our shopping bill was £5 these days it’s over £100 😞.

gbb

Legendary Member
An opportunity to compare a similar practice...
Halfords, I went today to buy some slime for my sons bike .
Firstly, the advertised price quotes per 2 quarts or 4 quarts, yet the product is labelled in millilitres so there's immediate confusion as to which is which, made worse by there only being one size actually on display.
Secondly the product actually available is placed over the incorrect price label.
Get to the tills, the item I thought was £10 rang up at £16.

I pulled up their advert online for my size product...£10.44 staff immediately say...no problem and charged me that.
It's all so full of sleight of hand and confusion, you wonder just how much do people unwittingly overpay for stuff.

Mike_P

Guru
Halfords on line prices are usually less than in store. It's best to order on line for store pick up to avoid any staff unwilling to sell it at the lower price.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Weird pricing in Halfords is the reason I stopped using them years ago.

I've actually ordered from them this week but only because I have a £20 gift card. Even then the product showed different prices during the online checkout process.

I also stopped going into Holland and Barrett because of their strange offers - buy three and get a cheap deal but we've only got two in stock. I got fed up with asking staff what the actual price was.

classic33

Leg End Member
Firstly, the advertised price quotes per 2 quarts or 4 quarts, yet the product is labelled in millilitres so there's immediate confusion as to which is which, made worse by there only being one size actually on display.
Secondly the product actually available is placed over the incorrect price label.

I pulled up their advert online for my size product...£10.44 staff immediately say...no problem and charged me that.
It's all so full of sleight of hand and confusion, you wonder just how much do people unwittingly overpay for stuff.
They still have that mountain bike tyre filled with slime, and screws in from all directions, on display?

If I'm in a place with a Halfords I love to go in and look at their bikes which are generally fantastic value especially if you go through cashback sites, buy discounted gift cards and also use a discount code however I'm not keen on the cost of their accessories and spares typically, I normally find I can get them much cheaper from online retailers. In fairness its cheaper than local independent bike shops where you go in and a inner tube with a RRP or suggested selling price of £7.99 is actually being sold for £8.99 where as Halfords have their own range of fantastic quality inner tubes for about half that which are pre-talced and made by Kenda mostly. However I normally buy my inner tubes online when I see an offer and on average I don't think I pay more than £2 on average except I did buy some downhill Maxxis inner tubes which were quite expensive from a private seller on ebay, I probably paid £4 each but they normally sell at something like £12.99 or more and did see them in an independent bike shop for £25 each but not in the size I buy. A quick look on Amazon shows a seller at £39 for 2 or £69 for 4 which was more than I was expecting and makes the independent bike shop not that far off a realistic price.

Reactions: gbb

vickster

Legendary Member
Being both retired now we are lucky to have all the supermarkets easily accessible to our home. We visit Aldi on a Monday my wife meets our son on Tuesday for coffee in town and they shop in Sainsbury’s. I usually visit Lidl on Wednesday whilst walking to B & Q where there’s another bigger Sainsbury’s. Asda is close by too where I buy my breakfast cereal as it’s cheaper plus a Tesco express within 500 meters from my front door for emergencies. Farm foods is 3 km away, B & M is about 1 km away. We know where the cheapest items are as we swap notes on prices but when we were first married fifty one years ago our shopping bill was £5 these days it’s over £100 😞.

Well yes…but where’s Waitrose in your list for the good stuff ? :scratch:

Mike_P

Guru
Too expensive thankfully there isn’t one anywhere near us.

For a general shop yes but there are usually some good deals to be found. If you get their card and register on the web site you should get a free newspaper a day plus quite likely a couple of offers to pick each week, 2 pints of milk for 75p being one that typically crops up for me.

Top Bottom